Yet another Holster Question - IWB and tucking in shirt.

This is a discussion on Yet another Holster Question - IWB and tucking in shirt. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About to start carrying and after all this reading on here and research I want to try an IWB holster at the 3:30 or 4 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Yet another Holster Question - IWB and tucking in shirt.

Yet another Holster Question - IWB and tucking in shirt.

About to start carrying and after all this reading on here and research I want to try an IWB holster at the 3:30 or 4 position. The only thing is I wear dress pants and polo's or button ups to work. So I need to tuck my shirt in for work.

From what I'm finding and from looking at holsters you need a special type of IWB right? one sorta like an accordian to have room to tuck the garment down between the holster and the portion that clips onto your belt right? Or does any IWB have some room for the garment?

So as I'm looking around what do I look at or how to do I research IWB that has this feature without having to look through every damn IWB holster? seems most I'm finding don't have a "space" for the garment to neatly tuck in between.

I just find it hard as not being totally familiar with the carry world and being so new to it.

PS About to pull the trigger on a S&W sigma. It seems to fit my hand better and I can reach mag release better than I can on the SD model so....Ive heard its not too big to carry.
    OnePlink likes this.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

2. Remove Ads

Smart Carry or Silent Thunder would be my recommendations.

Smart Carry is the ultimate concealed carry holster in my opinion, may be a little slower on the draw but nobody will ever know it's there. Silent Thunder is very comfortable for IWB and is the only holster with leather lined Kydex, so your gun sits comfy wrapped in leather while the Kydex keeps it strong and holds its shape.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    Garrett Industries, LLC Designers/Manufacturers of Custom Kydex and Leather Holsters and Tactical Gear

Distinguished Member
    I like to use the Comp-Tac MTAC with C clips for my tuckable needs.
    Justified likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I'm a big fan of hybrid holsters. They tuck very well as long as you either have a black belt, or the velcro hooks, or J hooks. Check out the following (I have personal experience with the CrossBreed, Shielded Holsters, and KingTuk):

Crossbreed Holsters > Home
    Shielded Holsters - Custom Handcrafted Holsters
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

There are a lot of others like the kholster and many others.

Now that Smart carry is totally different than anything Ive seen so far! does it hold the firearm well as it seems more of a pouch. But it does look like it would be way comfortable!

Looks like meant to carry at the apex position though. Im sure can be work differently
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I use Comp-tac and have been pleased with it. I have a SmartCarry, but don't use it much.

Whichever way you go, practice, practice, practice.
    baren likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    As you are looking at IWB holsters, refine your search by using the keyword "tuckable." Kydex holsters are the rage--they perform well and are relatively inexpensive. On the other hand, because they are hard, they tend to be hard on the finish of your weapon. I prefer a good quality all leather holster and I prefer horsehide, as it maintains its shape better than cowhide. Here is where I got my newest holster: Desbiens Gun Leather The picture of the IWB #3 (under IWB holsters) is MY holster
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    The "tuckable" holsters utilize a space behind the belt-clip, which allows the clip to ride either the waist of your pants or your belt, while allowing your shirt-tails to tuck in behind it and the physical holster.

Blackhawk Tuckable Holster Review - YouTube

^ Not my video, and not a holster I use, but it demonstrates the idea very well - look at time-point 4:00 to 4:04 in the video. The author, there, demonstrates how the clip literally "flaps" away from the body of the holster. Between the clip and the holster body is where your cover garment, your tucked-in polo/button-up's shirt-tails would go.

As you can see from that video and others like it, draw-speed is not really compromised all that much at all. What you've got to be sure of is that you have got enough shirt so that you can reliably pull it high up and clear of the holster/gun, so that you can establish a good, dominant, fighting grip. As long as you can do that, you're golden.

Ostensibly, you'd want a "tuckable" IWB because you're concerned about concealment, and your clothing is of the tucked-tails variety (without reliable use of a supporting cover garment, such as a jacket or sweater, etc.). In this respect, the belt clip(s) themselves become the most glaring concern. I'm not saying that you need to lose sleep over them, but rather, that to either someone who is looking specifically for concealed-carriers or even just a very astute/observant non-gun-owner, those clips will betray the presence of "something there." The traditional "Pull-the-Dot" straps, while time-tested true, really do stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.....

Different holster-makers have different ways around this issue.

Non-traditional clips, such as the low-profile clips seen on the Galco "Tuck-N-Go," makes for a less visible signature. Similarly, the simple leather loop that's offered with PureKustom's offerings allows for a nice blend with simple, un-adorned leather belts. Alternatively, the "C-clips" or "J-clips" offered by various makers seek to virtually eliminate that "overhang" on the front of the belt, either by latching on to only the top and bottom of the belt (C-clips) or, alternatively, utilizing your pants' waist for support of the holster/weapon, while using a single bottom "hook" to prevent withdraw of the holster with the gun during the draw stroke (J-clips).

As with the concept of "tuckable" IWB carry, each of these clips, while offering unique advantages, also have their own unique disadvantages. J-clips, for example, oftentimes would not be recommened for use with a heavy gun/holster combo (i.e. all-metal, full-sized, high-capacity weapon), particularly if you favor thinner-material dress-pants. Those nice leather loops on the PureKustoms do make slipping on the holster a bit more of a chore than easily clipping something in. A single-clip holster may be more prone to shift/displacement than a wider, double-clip holster. And different clip thicknesses may play better or worse with different belt thicknesses (not width, which is another factor; for-example, I love how snugly my PureKustom's leather loops fit on my rather thick Hank's Amish Belt, ironically, my Beltman belt, which costs some three times more than the Amish Belt, is not as great of a pairing, because it is thinner, and thus allows the loops to travel too freely; alternatively, my CrossBreed SuperTuck's J-clips, without modification, has a lot of trouble accommodating the thickness of the Amish Belt...but the lip of the "J" slips perfectly over the main portion of my ARES Ranger Belt, and the belt's contrasting overlay makes the little bit of the visible clip even less visually conspicuous).

I suppose that I'm just a muffin because I've tried every custom-made IWB configuration on the planet and still haven't found one that doesn't cause major discomfort after a few hours (if not immediately) - especially when I'm physically active, sitting, or while driving with the seatbelt compressing my small piece of pig-iron even deeper into my "spare tire" to the point that I'd be more comfortable carrying a brick and two pine cones in my underwear. After figuring out the small fortune I'd spent on expensive IWB holsters, pants that were two-sizes larger around the waist (and belts to match) just to be extremely uncomfortable all the time, I gave it all up and started using a disguised, compact, all leather, exterior carry case that quickly detaches (via steel, spring-loaded "horseshoe latch") from a fully closed belt loop while I'm driving - then clicks and locks solidly back into the belt loop's latch when I get out of the car. OK, so my beer-gut won out over IWB - it comes with age :(

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Smart Carry or Silent Thunder would be my recommendations.

Smart Carry is the ultimate concealed carry holster in my opinion, may be a little slower on the draw but nobody will ever know it's there. Silent Thunder is very comfortable for IWB and is the only holster with leather lined Kydex, so your gun sits comfy wrapped in leather while the Kydex keeps it strong and holds its shape.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    Garrett Industries, LLC Designers/Manufacturers of Custom Kydex and Leather Holsters and Tactical Gear
    I vote for the Smartcarry too. Almost all the "tuckables" have clips. Sounds like you are dressing for an environment in which clips would get noticed. Plus, I've never been able to keep them tucked.

There's a couple good videos on YouTube showing the best way to wear the SmartCarry, really helped me. I can carry my Kahr PM9 or my Springfield Armory XDM in mine just fine, people even carry 1911's in them.

I have had Thunderwear and they are very comfortable to wear in dress pants.

The Smart Carry definitely made me wonder about my ability to get to it fast enough, and also limits one's ability to stage one's hand close to or on the grip if needed. But I do remember the feeling of relief that came over me when I first put it on, dressed over it, and realized that I was almost 100 percent safe from detection. So it's a trade-off. Currently I'm trying the White Hat Max Tuck, which is basically the Crossbreed Super Tuck without the religious iconography and with Chicago screws.
    Thunder71 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I've found the Crossbreed QwikClip to be very tuckable with my PF-9. It offers great concealment, & access via a quick shirt pull is very doable.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    I suppose that I'm just a muffin because I've tried every custom-made IWB configuration on the planet and still haven't found one that doesn't cause major discomfort after a few hours (if not immediately) - especially when I'm physically active, sitting, or while driving with the seatbelt compressing my small piece of pig-iron even deeper into my "spare tire" to the point that I'd be more comfortable carrying a brick and two pine cones in my underwear. After figuring out the small fortune I'd spent on expensive IWB holsters, pants that were two-sizes larger around the waist (and belts to match) just to be extremely uncomfortable all the time, I gave it all up and started using a disguised, compact, all leather, exterior carry case that quickly detaches (via steel, spring-loaded "horseshoe latch") from a fully closed belt loop while I'm driving - then clicks and locks solidly back into the belt loop's latch when I get out of the car. OK, so my beer-gut won out over IWB - it comes with age :(
    I don't think that you're a muffin, at all!

I think that many in our community don't realize just how fully the "everyone's different," saying goes - that no matter how comfortable a particular setup may be for one person, to another, it may be any degree of uncomfortable or even truly unbearable.

There's a lot of trial-and-error involved, unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links