Ladies! Purse carry v. Holster carry?

This is a discussion on Ladies! Purse carry v. Holster carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not one for starting new discussions, so I figure I would give it a try. How do a majority of the women carry their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ladies! Purse carry v. Holster carry?

I'm not one for starting new discussions, so I figure I would give it a try.

How do a majority of the women carry their weapon?

I will start by saying that 99% of the time I purse carry. I have a LP "hobo" purse that I purchased off craigslist a while back that has always worked for me. If I am active outdoors, its in a fanny pack of some sort.

Just wondering? :-)

I am a man so I can only give you my observations. Most women seem to purse carry (wifey included). But I think she should (and others) carry in a holster on her person. A purse is a target for theft, and if you lose your purse, you lose your weapon and arm the bad guy. Plus, you may not always have your purse on you. With all the options available for carry these days, and all the smaller firearms, any woman should be able to find a way to comfortably carry on her person. Just my $.02

Ok smolck...but I like to wear slimming clothes and there is no way that I'm going to strap something on that is going to increase my waistline. LOL! You men just don't get it.
    HTColorado likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Ok smolck...but I like to wear slimming clothes and there is no way that I'm going to strap something on that is going to increase my waistline. LOL! You men just don't get it.
    What about smartcarry or OWB with a cover garment of some sort. Limatunes has a thread with a lot of pictures of different ways she conceals.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

My wife carries both ways depending on how she is dressed. She usually dresses pretty casual and carries OWB. On the rare need for her to dress up for some function, she will purse carry, but feels the same as mentioned about a purse being a target for theft. Personally, I can't imagine anyone trying to carry that gigantic thing she claims is a purse fast enough to escape. It literally has everything in it for full on survival in the wilderness...

-Mike

My wife purse carries, but she is trying to move more to body carry.

Belly band and fanny pack are her present on body carry try outs.

She has tried tried to come up with works well for her, but our life style makes it hard for any one answer to work.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I am a man so I can only give you my observations. Most women seem to purse carry (wifey included). But I think she should (and others) carry in a holster on her person. A purse is a target for theft, and if you lose your purse, you lose your weapon and arm the bad guy. Plus, you may not always have your purse on you. With all the options available for carry these days, and all the smaller firearms, any woman should be able to find a way to comfortably carry on her person. Just my $.02
    You nailed it. I body carry only: OWB holster, IWB tuck holster, and soon-to-be-acquired thigh holster (when I get the $). Fanny pack holster is kind of a compromise and I will use it only if the other methods won't work on that day. I de-commissioned my purse as a carry exactly because of smolck's reasons.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

No purse for me - as above, dont want to risk it stolen - paranoid about keeping my hand on it, under my control at all times. On body, it's always in my control. ALWAYS.
    Went to a wedding last week and a woman who also carries, indicated she was carrying in her purse - later that night purse was left on the table as she went dancing. I danced too, but my carry was CARRIED. And it didn't impede my dancing either - lack of rythym and knowing the steps impeded it, by not my weapon.
    Have tried smartcarry - oh how that doesn't work - and in pants makes me look like I'm carrying something quite different. Works okay if I wear it at 3:00. Got a thigh holster and love it but mostly just love the looks and sexiness, cuz it doesn't function very well - slides down the leg and just not very comfortable. So I wear my belt and holster under whatever I can't wear it over. Not the most effective draw sometimes, but if I need it, my modesty will be the least of my worries.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    LOL! You men just don't get it.
    If I had a dollar for everytime my wife told me that, I could pay off the national debt.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Honey, tell me the truth...does this gun make my butt look big???
    Erick46590 and HTColorado like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    Honey, tell me the truth...does this gun make my butt look big???
    If you carry a REALLY big gun it will make your butt look smaller
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member
    Body carry 99% of the time. The only time I don't is if I am going to some dressy occasion (rare and getting rarer). When I tell my hubby that "I am not carrying" this means the LCP in the purse.

I would imagine in a fracas of some sort, the purse will not be within reach to get a gun. And the level of risk for theft or loss or getting handbag out of my control for whatever reason is just not acceptable to me.

My clothing ensembles have become more ecclectic and perhaps dumpier or frumpier by use of cover garments, but to that I say it is worth the peace of mind. I wear more makeup or jewelery or frilly stuff to make up for the lumpy looking waistline. Draw attention elsewhere. There is a real art to picking clothes that look good, cover a decent sized gun AND magazine (this is the toughest part to me) and don't scream cc.

I've wanted to start a blog of photos each day of what I wear. Also a catalog or website of good girls cover clothes. You see lots of photos of girls carrying and looking good doing it, but then you wonder "where did she get that top or jacket or pants". I wish there was a site dedicated to this with shopping links.

I'll stop talking now. I could go on all day about this.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Also a catalog or website of good girls cover clothes. You see lots of photos of girls carrying and looking good doing it, but then you wonder "where did she get that top or jacket or pants". I wish there was a site dedicated to this with shopping links.

I'll stop talking now. I could go on all day about this.
    I like that idea. It certainly would give us some good ideas.

My business attire is normally a skirt suite with a tank or T. The jacket always comes off unless I have to go to court or meet a client.

I tried a smartcarry......ahhh, not for me!

Some of my other little tricks are keeping shooting hand fingernails short, especially trigger finger. Bangles and bracelets and watches on the non-shooting wrist (left for me). Rings on the shooting hand have had the prongs removed and set in low profile bezels. Left hand (non-shooting hand) rings - ie. my engagemnet ring - in the queue for prong elimination/bezel set when $$ allows but very soon. After 40 years of shoulder bag on my right shoulder, trying to get used to it on my left shoulder well away from my 2-3 o'clock holster. Not OCD but just little things that translate into seconds when seconds count. Stay safe!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Cool

Lots of good info on this site....

Cornered Cat

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links