Difficulties carrying

Difficulties carrying

This is a discussion on Difficulties carrying within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I got a nice letter in the mail Friday afternoon that my CCW license was awaiting me at the local Sheriff's office and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Difficulties carrying

Difficulties carrying

So, I got a nice letter in the mail Friday afternoon that my CCW license was awaiting me at the local Sheriff's office and I am super excited to pick it up(I have to wait until Tuesday since I work Sat-Mon, 12 hour days)!.

A little information first. I bought and intend to carry an SR9C with the flush magazine, and a spare on my hip. It's slightly used and came with a Serpa and a High Noon Public Secret holster.

I'm roughly 6 Foot, 180 lbs with a 32 inch waist. I don't wear large shirts. Usually mediums. T-shirts, polos or button-ups. 95% T-shirts. I want to carry right around my right rear pocket. I can't seem to get the High Noon to work well for me, even with a good belt.

Help?

Difficulties carrying
    I know, we're all here to help each other. What I'm about to do may not sit well with you, but please don't take this personal. Carrying might be difficult in ways. Thing is......if carrying is difficult for you, then survival will obviously follow the same road. You never want to be on the short end of the stick when it really comes down to it. I've laid it on the line many times on this forum. Your mind is your best tool even before you choose to carry a firearm for defense. Wanting to live has little to do with difficulty. It has everything to do with will. Say to yourself that "I will survive", and not much will stand in your way including "difficulty". Life is difficult. If at any time it's difficult for you to choose between life and death, you let me know. Then look back at your difficulties in life and let me know how difficult things really are. Help? I'll do everything I can to keep you off government assistance.

VIP Member
    I'm 5'10" and weigh 194, also with a 32" waist. I wear size-larger pants and t-shirts. I have found the darker Faded Glory T-shirts from WalMart drape nicely and don't print. I always wear an a-shirt between the skin and the gun. I always wear a gun-belt, either a Brommeland custom leather or Wilderness Instructor tactical nylon belt. I went through a drawer-full of holsters before I arrived at my perfect carry model, the Brommeland Max-Con V. I carry a Glock 17/19 on either or both sides edc, and a Kahr PM9 on the rare occasions I have to go light. Cargo shorts and T-shirts are my typical ed wear.

I carry my Glock 36 almost all the time. I went thru a few holsters and belts before finding a combo that worked best for me. I use a Wilderness Tactical belt and TT Gunleather IWB holster with a spare OWB mag holder on my off side. I can conceal this setup under just about anything and usually just wear T shirts and jeans. I am 5'10" and weigh all of 130lbs with a 30" waist. I have been using this setup almost daily for the past few years.

ccman likes this.

What do you mean by "work well"? Comfortable? Concealed? If the latter, it probably conceals better than you think, but, unfortunately, you might need to adjust what you wear a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I know, we're all here to help each other. What I'm about to do may not sit well with you, but please don't take this personal. Carrying might be difficult in ways. Thing is......if carrying is difficult for you, then survival will obviously follow the same road. You never want to be on the short end of the stick when it really comes down to it. I've laid it on the line many times on this forum. Your mind is your best tool even before you choose to carry a firearm for defense. Wanting to live has little to do with difficulty. It has everything to do with will. Say to yourself that "I will survive", and not much will stand in your way including "difficulty". Life is difficult. If at any time it's difficult for you to choose between life and death, you let me know. Then look back at your difficulties in life and let me know how difficult things really are. Help? I'll do everything I can to keep you off government assistance.
    I understand what you're saying. What I don't get is how we went from me asking on some tips for concealing with my build to me not being able to survive and government assistance. I was expecting something along the lines of attire, holsters or something. Difficulty choosing between life or death?

I will go with larger shirts, it's not a big deal. Would I prefer to keep my clothing style? Of course. But I will adapt.

I didn't know if a hybrid style IWB would work better. Something like a Pancake from Hay's or an MTAC.

I do have a maxpedition bag, the monsoon to be exact, and it has a nice carry compartment within' reach of my right hand between the bag and my back.

And I feel like it prints so much but is that because i'm looking for it? The comfort will come with time. It's the concealment I want.

First of all, what is a "good belt?"

Play around with the positioning some. I tend to find that 2:30-3:30 works best for me. I used to try to carry further back. But that spot allows me a faster draw, and seems to conceal better.

You might need to adapt your clothing style, and buy a size bigger. Or I usually add a cover garment, like an un-buttoned button up shirt over a t-shirt.

I have 1 hybrid holster, honestly I am not very fond of it. High Noon is my go-to holster maker, and their stuff is good. The Public Secret is a no-cant holster, and the furthest back it is recommended to be worn is 4:00, so you might want to try to move it forward. Also, is it the clip version, or strap version? I tend to prefer the clip, and think it conceals better.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

In Iwb carry there are two options. Deep, which aligns the grip just at the top of the belt, and normal, one that rides higher giving you a good grip on the pistol grip. Also, try a calf skin holster over a leather holster. the calf skin is much softer, thinner and molds to the body easier.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevrenth View Post
    I can't seem to get the High Noon to work well for me, even with a good belt. Help?
    Would love to help you out. What is the specific problem? And don't feel bad - IWB carry is not for everybody, but you might be able to pull it off with a very thin gun with a different kind of holster.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

I carry a 1911 in a Public Secret. I wear Wrangler cargo pants with a 32" waist.

I've found what works for me is wearing about 2 o'clock, in front of my hip.

I can wear just about any shirt that I want with this setup. I also use either an instructor's belt, or a High Noon Rock Steady belt.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I would not do well with the public secret, either. I find that iwb holsters which have the snowshoe effect in spreading the load work the best for me. The Sparks Watch-Six and Brommeland Max-Con V are of the type I prefer. I also stay away from the steel-reinforced mouth styles.

I noticed that you said that you want to carry near your right rear pocket. The Public Secret was designed for a 3 o'clock, or foward carry.

that far back will require some cant to be effective
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sounds like a matter of finding the right holster that will "fit" your body type and style of carry. What you need to do if you can is find a gun shop near you that sells holsters and belts and go in and try them till you find what you like. If they don't carry enough, be willing to spend money on stuff and send it back or sell it for something else. I have found ebay to be effective in this regard.

All that said, one of the most comfortable IWB rigs is something like the CrossBreed or Galco King Tuck. I have the latter and it continues to be my most comfortable and adjustable holster.

Two words for ya my friend....

Smart Carry. The best in deep concealment holster I've found in all my travels. And here's a link to their website if you're interested.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links