DIY tuckable with no hooks over belt

This is a discussion on DIY tuckable with no hooks over belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't like the idea of unexplained hooks or straps over my belt when wearing an IWB tuckable holster, and I can't afford a velcro-lined ...

Thread: DIY tuckable with no hooks over belt

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

DIY tuckable with no hooks over belt

I don't like the idea of unexplained hooks or straps over my belt when wearing an IWB tuckable holster, and I can't afford a velcro-lined gunbelt. I *did* happen to have some 3" wide elastic laying around and some navy thread which I had purchased specifically for those slacks (take the slacks to the fabric store to get it right: did you know there are 37 shades of navy blue?).

Laying my slacks on the table I positioned my pistol where I wanted it, and laid the elastic over it. I pinned the elastic, turned the slacks so they were right-side out, and started sewing. I sewed along seam lines so as not to advertise my customization, and secured the elastic and made the shelf on which the trigger guard sits. I did multiple lines of stitching and a lot of back-and-forth at stitchline ends to avoid unraveling.

I am quite pleased with how the gun rides and the concealability. It's a bit lumpy, but I am too so it works. I'm not sure how this might work for the ladies, as eyes are not drawn away as they are from me. Perhaps with a smaller pistol it would work well, and would allow wearing IWB without a belt.

Problems: I will leave further improvements as an exercise for the student: please post here how you solve these problems if you try this.
    • I have yet to figure out how to reholster without dropping trou or sweeping myself... and even then it takes a long time. I may add a sweatshield which would guide the barrel in - either permanent or perhaps a thin piece of leather with a hook on it so it stays inside the elastic when I draw.
    • I also can still feel the trigger through the cloth of my slacks. I doubt I could pull it back to fire (DA/SA pistol) but I get nervous. I may add a small piece of Kydex inside the elastic, or may make the clippy trigger-cover-on-a-string thingy I saw advertised once (a "trigger bikini" or some such: can't remember, but it's covers only the trigger guard and just snaps on).

The green dots show stitching lines; the third image omits one of the stitch lines but on the outside view you can see the seam in which it runs. The scrap of elastic was longer than needed - that's why it extends out under where the grip rides (there's no structural reason for it being that way except for me not having scissors handy, if I remember correctly). If you didn't have seams handy in which to hide your stitches, you could stitch it anyway and make symmetrical stitches on the other side as well for disguise. Probably this would work better on work-weight slacks rather than a suit, but with a suit you have a coat anyway...

HolsterInsideEmpty.jpgHolsterInside.jpgHolsterOutside.jpgHolsterCovered.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I like it, great job and good idea!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Very industrious! Nice work.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Looks like it may be a bit difficult to grasp the grip, but if it works for you--good job!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Nice work. It looks like, well, invisible.

BTW, I bought a roll of 2" Velcro from a fabric store, cut strips 1" X 12", and had a shoe repair guy sew them into all my best belts. V-clip problem solved. I just have to watch out for those sourdough glazed doughnuts, so I don't outgrow the belts.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

cj
    I think a Kydex insert would solve both problems with reholstering and better protection over the trigger. You could make it a little modular (velcro, pins, or some other sort of attachment) to pop different inserts in place to change firearms, adjust positions, etc.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    You could make it a little modular...
    I was actually thinking of a piece that fit down into the elastic, with a tab poking back towards me to act as a retainer. When I change slacks I could just push it down a bit farther and pull the elastic away from it to release it. Not sure I want the Kydex right on my skin, though: maybe I'll cobble up a light cover for it. Hm. Getting complex. But fun, and it's within my budget. Thanks for the advice.

Idea:

tabidea.jpg

cj
    Let me know if you'd like a little piece to play with...like a business envelope size I'm thinking might be enough to test what you're thinking.

Great idea, Paymeister, and nice to see you're still carrying that 915. Nothing like those 3rd Gen Smiths!
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Links