Choices choices choices

This is a discussion on Choices choices choices within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I think I narrowed down what I want to http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html or http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/crossbreedIWB.html I think that's about as slim as I can get for a ...

Thread: Choices choices choices

Choices choices choices

OK, I think I narrowed down what I want to http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html or http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/crossbreedIWB.html

I think that's about as slim as I can get for a tuckable holster. I just wish I could go to a store and try each one on and see how it sits and feels and so on. I might just get one for the XD and the other for the Steyr. Although on the other hand I'm leaning a bit more towards the crossbreed cause of that bigger piece of leather that separates the gun away from my body.

Now one thing that I'm kind of curious about is what wears out the gun more: leather or kydex? I kind of figure the answer will be Kydex as it's harder. Btw, I don't care about the wear too much and the wear on the gun is not going to really affect my decision as tool is a tool and gets used and worn out with time but I'm just curious.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    To be honest, I think the crossbreed is ugly and cheap looking.

BUT, it's very similar to my most comfortable design (it's kinda where I got the idea). The only difference is I don't use kydex.

The large flat piece will distribute the weight of the gun over a larger area.

The comptac has never looked comfortable to me. There doesn't seem to be any weight distribution.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

fm2
    It looks like getting a combat grip on the crossbreed design holster would be difficult.

It looks like a good holster for the price, but I wish that it was more adjustable. Let us know what you decide.

I really like these Kydex tuckables from Fist.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/Default.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BookerT
    I really like these Kydex tuckables from Fist.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/Default.htm
    I looked at those and the problem is that they only have one "hanger" to the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by fm2
    It looks like getting a combat grip on the crossbreed design holster would be difficult.
    Good point! I didn't catch that. Might have to give them a call and see what they say.

I like my Crossbreed Supertuck. I don't think the pictures do it justice, as it is a well built holster. But, I don't consider the looks of a holster to be important. I want function, quality and endurance. As far as appearances go, I think the Comp-Tac looks flimsy and overdone, but with all of the satisfied customers they have, I can't say that it would be a poor choice based solely on its appearance.

Lead Moderator
    For some a 2 hanger system is a must, otherwise the gun will rock back and forth. Never tried either of those holsters though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OK, the order is in... crossbreed supertuck it is. I forget the name of the gentleman I spoke with, but he was extremely helpful and patient with my newbie questions. From the sounds of it, I should see it by the end of September and if I like it as much as I think I will I will be getting another one for the Steyr.

Great part is that the crossbreed will fit both my XD SC and the XD Tac !

VIP Member
    Given those two choices I'd go with the CTAC.
    But that's because I use VM 2!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

First, I want to mention that I think you'd be well-off with either of these holsters. I have one of each: a Crossbreed Adjustable Supertuck for my PT-145, and a C-TAC Slide for my Glock(s).

Keeping in mind that I've only had the C-TAC for about 2 days, and the Crossbreed for a few months, I will make the following comments.

1. The Crossbreed is definitely more comfortable. The leather backer keeps any sharp Kydex edges away from your body. The C-TAC, OTOH, does tend to lever the bottom edge of the holster into my hip. (This is probably exacerbated somewhat because I have the "Slide" version which does not have a curved-inward bottom.) Also, the bottom edges of the leather tabs dig in a bit.

I've put bits of moleskin on these parts to alleviate this.. it seems to be working for the leather tabs, but I don't think there's any way around getting gnawed on by the muzzle end of the holster.

2. The C-TAC appears to be made with better materials and is definitely more "professional" looking in the way it is molded.

3. I would say that they both retain their respective guns about equally well, although the C-TAC does have adjustable retention.

4. While it is true (as fm2 mentioned... good eye) that it is more difficult to get a "combat grip" (full firing grip) on the pistol while in the Crossbreed, you can ask Mark Craighead to customize it as you like. In fact, I would definitely recommend you ask for the combat grip design.

I did not do so with mine, as I did not think of it ahead of time.. so I ended up cutting away a small area of leather with a razor, and this actually worked out well. But, it takes him some time to build the holster, so if you want this feature it's not too late to e-mail him about it.

5. If you are interested in "tucking," the C-TAC is by far easier to accomplish this because there is a much larger amount of space around the body of the holster into which you can stuff your shirt material. Either holster works well though.

6. While I have not yet needed to contact Comp-Tac customer service (remember I've only had this thing 2 days), I can personally vouch for Mark's (Crossbreed) CS. He is quick to respond and help you with any issues or questions you have. Great guy to deal with.

I've heard similar about Comp-Tac, but I just do not have first-hand experience.

7. The top edge of the Kydex piece of the Crossbreed chewed up my middle finger a bit when I would grasp the pistol. It was a little on the sharp side. On Mark's advice, I sanded it lightly to smooth it out a bit. Problem solved.

-----------------

I would be comfortable recommending either holster. One thing I would not recommend, however, is the Crossbreed tuckable mag carrier. Due to the weight of the magazine not being inline with the location of the belt clip, the mag eventually sags/levers itself below your beltline.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    Now one thing that I'm kind of curious about is what wears out the gun more: leather or kydex?
    Oh, I forgot to respond to this part.

I think it's going to depend on the holster. My Crossbreed does wear more than the C-TAC in the sense that there is more contact with the surface of the slide when the pistol is inserted.

When compared against leather, however, I think leather will probably wear more overall. It retains the pistol by putting pressure on the *entire* surface of the gun, whereas Kydex holsters generally "grasp" the pistol in a single location, usually around the front of the trigger guard. So, IMHO, Kydex will put MORE wear in that one little spot, but LESS wear over the entirety of the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    To be honest, I think the crossbreed is ugly and cheap looking.
    I agree. However, mine works very well. I don't see a point in getting something that's meant to be hidden, then paying extra to make it look pretty.

i'm so glad i decided to read this post.i do believe that i'll be getting a crossbreed super tuck for my 92D.

thank you,Huzar.
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

Links