Defensive Carry banner

A couple of holster reviews

10K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Wolfrage 
#1 ·
Hey fellow DCers:

With my new LC9 purchase, I've been on the hunt for a decent holster. I ended up purchasing 3 holsters, which I will give brief reviews of below.

Holster #1: (Uncle Mikes IWB - Size 12 )
Decent holster.
Pros:
  • Light weight
  • Good fit for the LC9
  • Cheap (I think it was 12 ot 15 bucks)
  • Smooth draw and reholstering (two-handed)
Cons:
  • Clip that holds holster onto belt or waistband of pants is made of cheap nylon. Feels like someone could easily snap it off and then easily pull the holster out and make off with (or use) your firearm.
  • Does not stay in place. Depending on the pants/belt combo, the holster tends to rotate forward, similar to a 15* cant holster. Seems a tad insecure.
In short, it will do the job in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend as an EDC holster. I'd give it a 3/5.

Holster #2: Desanti's: The Nemesis
Great holster.
Pros:
  • Fits perfectly inside my 4 different pairs of work khakis/slacks, the pockets of my 'weekend' cargo shorts, and a tighter but still manageable fit in my 'weekend' jeans.
  • Stays in place. Wore it all day today (8 hrs) and it did not shift, twist, or move at all.
  • Comfortable. You forget you're even carrying.
  • Breaks up the outline of the gun well, wife and coworkers couldn't tell I was carrying.
  • Easy access to weapon. I like being able to slide my hand casually into my pocket and wrap my fingers around the grip of my LC9 if needed. Very reassuring.
  • Price. I think mine was 25 bucks, so not bad at all.
  • Seems very well-built and rigid/sturdy
Cons:
  • Not leather. Might get hot in summer (have yet to test, since summer is a ways off)
Overall, I'd give this 4/5.

Holster #3: High Noon Holsters: Bare Asset IWB (15* forward cant)
Another excellent product.
Pros:
  • Leather construction is very sturdy, yet small enough to barely be noticeable
  • Metal reverse J-clip securely holds holster in place and prevents slippage. Is actually very hard to take off at the end of the day, which is a good thing in my eyes: if it's hard to take off, someone's not going to take it off me!
  • Comfortable. Can conceal my LC9 at 3,4,5 o'clock without it digging into my hip/femur.
  • Conceals great. With a regular sized T-shirt or polo shirt over it, the gun really disappears.
  • Made in Florida (I love USA made products)
Cons:
  • Leather is very stiff at first. Takes some force to get the gun into the holster the first few times. Loosens up after that.
  • Only comes in black cowhide. Not necessarily a con for me, but some prefer tan colored holsters, and some prefer horsehide.
Overall, I would give this 5/5. It's quality construction and does it job well.

Anyways, hope this is in some small way helpful to someone.

MP9NM

See less See more
#2 ·
You should go first to two of our fellow users of this site: Jeff at HaysHolsters and Brad at Bear River Holsters. Good stuff at very reasonable prices,IMHO!:35:

#8 · (Edited)
Some of the best ideas come from customers, so in an effort to always try to improve and have a wider customer base, did you not like our products? Or did we do something to you that maybe we can correct, so it does not happen to any one else. We find it hard to believe with our 30 day beat it up return policy Guarantee why anyone could be dissatisfied.
Please let us know, we are always open to doing things differently.

Alex

#6 ·
Not a huge fan of the LC9, I know others like it......but holster wise, I went through the virtual "drawer of holsters" before getting just the right couple. I have a ccustom made IWB from Bear Creek Holsters for my G26, and it is superb. I also have a CBMT for my Kahr CM9.....love it. COmfortable 16-20 hours a day.

#7 ·
My lc9 does not leave my crossbreed supertuck, if I pocket carry I take the smith jframe. If/when I get another carry gun it will also get a cbst. Don't have a ton of experience with holsters and its because I got the right one the first time.

BigJon

#9 ·
Holster #1: (Uncle Mikes IWB - Size 12 )

[*]Clip that holds holster onto belt or waistband of pants is made of cheap nylon. Feels like someone could easily snap it off and then easily pull the holster out and make off with (or use) your firearm.
Holster #3: High Noon Holsters: Bare Asset IWB (15* forward cant)

[*]Metal reverse J-clip securely holds holster in place and prevents slippage. Is actually very hard to take off at the end of the day, which is a good thing in my eyes: if it's hard to take off, someone's not going to take it off me!
I may be misunderstanding your post. Neither of those holsters have retention straps or devices, how are the belt clips going to prevent someone from getting the weapon?

#12 ·
Beyond the form-fitting boning, my carry holsters don't have retention devices, either. In fact, additional retention devices are no-no's for me. For someone to grab pistols, they have to know where they are. They can't grab what they can't see.

#11 ·
Hey Porp,

You're right, it won't without a retention strap. I just mean that with a lot of IWB holsters, the clips are not sturdy, and criminals have been known to simply grab the entire rig off your body. I also feel like with the 15% forward cant, it would be more difficult for someone to take it. Of course, without a retention strap, someone still could.

And as for you BigJon, is that supposed to be some sort of insinuation that I don't know how to select a holster? It's hard to tell people's intentions over the internet.

#14 ·
Porp,

I replied to you above Mike's comments :). Check it out

#16 ·
I SECOND the Jeff Hays recommendations...great work,great guy etc. My "old grunt" special IWB for my SP101 is outstanding!:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.