Recent SmartCarry Concerns

This is a discussion on Recent SmartCarry Concerns within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a SmartCarry for a while now, and really do love it with my Kahr PM9. Problem is that recently I safety checked the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Recent SmartCarry Concerns

Recent SmartCarry Concerns

I've had a SmartCarry for a while now, and really do love it with my Kahr PM9. Problem is that recently I safety checked the gun, put it in the holster (off my body), and was able to pull the trigger through the holster quite easily.

That made me pretty uncomfortable.

Now granted, the chances of something poking in that location aren't great but it could happen pretty easily. However I was also pushing up on both sides of the trigger in the 'test', I have to think that using one finger to simulate an object would be more difficult, let alone through a pair of pants as well.

Do I have a valid concern or am I just paranoid now?

I've never read about an actual SmartCarry holster having a problem (one case of a generic one I've read about).

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm sorry I can't help you. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to pull the trigger of my 24/7 while it's in my Smartcarry. All I can say is send it back.

I believe I can only do this while having my thumb and forefinger wrapped around it, squeezing, and pushing the trigger back.

I know people carry Glocks in these things, so my worries with a DA only trigger should be almost non-existent - but for whatever reason, knowing I 'can' do it, doesn't put my mind at ease.

VIP Member
    I don't do soft, gushy holsters.

I looked at a smartcarry at a gun show and imagined a Glock riding in there, pointed at my junk. I quickly put it back down and moved on.

You can pull the trigger if you go at it from both sides - from the front only (which is how it could happen if worn) is very difficult to do.

That said, I cut a piece of sheet plastic from a milk jug, and put it in the gun pocket of the Smartcarry, to give an extra layer in front. No way to get to the trigger then, aside from getting stabbed.

I carried a Glock in one for over three years - never had an issue. Only stopped using it because the backstrap of the pistol pushing into the same spot on my body every day while driving started to cause pain. I went to dual pocket carry instead.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I don't do soft, gushy holsters.

I looked at a smartcarry at a gun show and imagined a Glock riding in there, pointed at my junk. I quickly put it back down and moved on.
    I'm with you on that particular bit of logic. I am an adamant adherent to the NRAs three rules of safe firearms handling, and the one about always keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction makes this style of carry an impossibility for me.

*sigh*

If I had a dollar for every time I heard these comments about the Smartcarry.

To be clear - your handgun rides in FRONT of your privates. It does NOT point at them - unlike appendix carry, which some seem to favor with lots of gusto. That mode of carry DOES point at your privates when you sit, and/or your own femoral artery.

I wore my Smartcarry at 11 o'clock - my Glock pointed down my left leg. No issues.
    TN_Mike and nerdyvirgin like this.
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    *sigh*

To be clear - your handgun rides in FRONT of your privates. It does NOT point at them - unlike appendix carry, which some seem to favor with lots of gusto. That mode of carry DOES point at your privates when you sit, and/or your own femoral artery.

I wore my Smartcarry at 11 o'clock - my Glock pointed down my left leg. No issues.
    Just going by what I saw in the promotional videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    *sigh*

What do you consider 11:00?

I wore my Smartcarry to the left of center (I'm right-handed), with the bottom on the pistol's grip centered on the zipper line. This conceals the slight bulge caused by the bottom of the grip. Hence - 11 o'clock. This allowed more room for the barrel down my left leg. Much more comfortable (for me) than wearing it centered.
    CT Lasers

I wear mine at 11:00 as well, but I'm a lefty.... might try 1:00 and see how that works out.

Thanks for all the responses so far by the way, I like the milk jug idea - was trying to think of a decent material for that actually. :)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I believe I can only do this while having my thumb and forefinger wrapped around it, squeezing, and pushing the trigger back.

I know people carry Glocks in these things, so my worries with a DA only trigger should be almost non-existent - but for whatever reason, knowing I 'can' do it, doesn't put my mind at ease.
    That makes sense and I can see that happening. But, it's not likely to happen in the "carry" position. I have never felt any danger using my "Smartcarry" and I don't think there is a better holster when a OWB or IWB will not work.

I've had a SmartCarry for a while now, and really do love it with my Kahr PM9. Problem is that recently I safety checked the gun, put it in the holster (off my body), and was able to pull the trigger through the holster quite easily.

That made me pretty uncomfortable.

Now granted, the chances of something poking in that location aren't great but it could happen pretty easily. However I was also pushing up on both sides of the trigger in the 'test', I have to think that using one finger to simulate an object would be more difficult, let alone through a pair of pants as well.

Do I have a valid concern or am I just paranoid now?

I've never read about an actual SmartCarry holster having a problem (one case of a generic one I've read about).

Thoughts?
    If something hard enough and small enough to get into the trigger guard of your PM9 pokes you there with enough force to actually actuate the trigger through your pants AND the holster, you have a problem much bigger to worry about than if your gun will go off or not. I would say you are being stabbed by someone using a screwdriver of some sort in the groin area. I submit to you that you are FAR over thinking things in this case.

I believe this statement (bold) proves my assertion that you are far and away over thinking this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks - but how can you over think this when it hovers over your crotchitals? :D

I tried pretty hard last night (after safety checking the gun 9 or 10 times) and had no luck getting it to pull far enough to 'fire'. I'm done testing now, and carrying comfortably once again. It's only during the work day, once I get home it's Silent Thunder time. :)

VIP Member
    This is just an anecdotal story, and actually is referring to a knock-off brand of the Smartcarry. Take it for what it is. However, I just don't like soft holsters.

Xavier Thoughts: Deep Concealment Discharge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links