IWB or OWB?

This is a discussion on IWB or OWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; depends on the situation, owb everytime I can, iwb if I can't....

View Poll Results: IWB or OWB?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • OWB

50 30.86%
  • IWB

112 69.14%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: IWB or OWB?

depends on the situation, owb everytime I can, iwb if I can't.
    moosha likes this.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

2. Remove Ads

Front pants pocket strong hand side for BUG sometimes primary.

4:00 IWB for primary.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have both, actually several of each. I don't use any of them. In FL., 99% of the time I'm in shorts and a tee shirt. I have yet to be able to conceal either IWB or OWB without printing badly. Depending on which is my EDC for the week, I use either a DeSantis Nemisis, a Galco Pocket Pro or a Stoner custom pocket holster for my LCR. Pocket carry seems to work best for me. If I can lose 50lbs. things might change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    So you are saying that your are holster bi-sexual?
    Yep.....they'll take a G23 AND a G19
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I prefer IWB for concealment. I do a little dinky security gig on occasion in my retirement and under the circumstances can get by with OWB carry, generally in a high-rise holster concealed beneath a shirt in summer, a jacket in winter.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

CrossBreed Super Cut......IWB.........Great rig, and a sponsor....Give them a look.

Moosha

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I like IWB because: it's less likely to get bumped or caught up when I'm moving around; I like being the only one around me to know it's there; My firearm doesn't have to be locked down, but it's still secure.

I've worn OWB once & will likely do it again because: I can more comfortably carry a full-size firearm; It'll be easier to get to in the cold, multi-layer clothing months.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Brommeland Max-Con V IWB all day every day.

IWB about 90% of the time because my best holsters are IWB. I would like to carry OWB more, but need some better holsters.

Looking at some of Rocky's Pure Custom holsters as well as the Brommeland Def Con.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Generally IWB - with the right holster, I find it to be comfortable.

I carry a Beretta Px4 Compact in a Crossbreed IWB Supertuck holster at 4:00. I also have 2 OWB holsters that I only use when I am wearing a jacket or coat heavy enough not to imprint. I find the IWB really brings the gun close to my body, and is much more comfortable than my OWB. I sometimes also use a Crossbreed Qwik Tuck IWB at 11:00 for a cross draw. I find this to be more comfortable when driving.
    regards
    Ed

I prefer IWB. Doesn't get in the way during everyday activities, such as sitting down in a chair with arm rest . Doesn't get hung up on stuff. Don't have to change holsters if I am really concerned about concealment.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My general carry is IWB because of work mostly. But when I go hiking or something like that (i.e. walking the dog) I will many times go OWB with a galco pancake.

Mike

I carry both ways, but primarily OWB. Mostly because my leg goes numb when carrying IWB. Past injuries coming back to haunt me, so 70% of the time or more, for me is OWB.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

tts
    When I first carried, it was primarily OWB. Now, it's mostly IWB for concealment. If you go IWB, choosing a comfortable holster is essential. I bought an excellent custom fit holster by Shielded Holsters that fits me like a glove. I've worn it for almost a year and it looks/feels brand new. After five minutes of wearing the holster, I forget it's even on. I think he has molds for almost anything, simply tell him what you want and it gets made.

Carrying IWB for concealment just requires that you be conscious of how you might look from all angles (e.g. printing). For example, instead of bending over to pick something off the ground (potentially exposing your firearm), you squat down keeping your back upright (firearm in alignment with your torso).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links