IWB or OWB?

This is a discussion on IWB or OWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never liked IWB carry UNTIL I got two new IWB/OWB holsters: Haysholsters for my LC9 and Bear River for my M&PC 9mm: both are ...

View Poll Results: IWB or OWB?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • OWB

50 30.86%
  • IWB

112 69.14%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: IWB or OWB?

I never liked IWB carry UNTIL I got two new IWB/OWB holsters: Haysholsters for my LC9 and Bear River for my M&PC 9mm: both are great and now I wear IWB at least 50% of the time. Your holster makes all the difference for IWB, IMO.
    tts likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I prefer IWB carry, use to carry only OWB, but after trying IWB never went back, just carries better for me, and I can conceal a 5" 1911 style pistol IWB very easily.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Depends on what I'm carrying and how I'm dressed. I'll guess and say 65% IWB / 35% OWB. For a 1911 I'll almost always carry IWB, something thicker like a Sig I'll desire OWB if possible, but may IWB depending on cover garment and weather. I prefer options.

OWB in cooler weather with vest or coat.....IWB rest of the year. My Slim IWB Holsters from TT Gunleather are so comfortable that I don't really have a need for OWB carry, but do it anyway when wearing jacket or vest......then it's High Noon Slide Guards and HBE Pancakes for Glocks and Sigs .......or TT Gunleather Pancake for my Kimber(this is my most comfortable OWB holster!)......a quality belt makes all the difference with either. I use High Noon's Rock Steady Belt most of the time!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I agree with TXOutfitter, the Rock Steady is fantastic, two strips of leather with reinforced plastic sandwiched in between.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    I never liked IWB carry UNTIL I got two new IWB/OWB holsters: Haysholsters for my LC9 and Bear River for my M&PC 9mm: both are great and now I wear IWB at least 50% of the time. Your holster makes all the difference for IWB, IMO.
    I agree, you need to test 5-6 holsters to find the right one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tts View Post
    I agree, you need to test 5-6 holsters to find the right one for you.
    Eh, I've yet to meet anyone who has tried and not liked the Crossbreed SuperTuck. It's just THAT comfortable.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Here are pics of the holsters I mentioned in my previous post. I'm wearing the TT Gunleather Slim IWB and Pancake Holsters with High Noon Rock Steady Belt. Others are High Noon Slide Guard with Sig p239 and HBE Pancake with Sig p229. All very comfortable for all day wear and Excellent Quality!
    Attached Images
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Should have had the option of "both". Since you didn't, I didn't vote. I prefer OWB as it is more comfortable, and that is what I generally use in weather that allows for cover wear. However, in the summer, I generally use an IWB holster when carrying my 1911 or a pocket holster if wearing shorts and carrying my S&W 642.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Good information here!! Thanks! I have been carry IWB with my XD9. I have a nice Adam Holster but it was always uncomfortable some. I just got a LC9 on Thursday and bought a Desanti holster OWB for it on Saturday. I wore that setup all weekend with a cover shirt and it was GREAT! It is so funny that people are not even aware of what is going on around them. I reached for my wallet a couple of times this weekend and lifted my shirt and people are just oblivious to there surroundings. Anyway it was much more comfortable and and just as easy for me to conceal. I change my Adam Holster setup to be OWB and will be wearing my XD9 this week. I think I have converted. I voted OWB.
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Eh, I've yet to meet anyone who has tried and not liked the Crossbreed SuperTuck. It's just THAT comfortable.
    I have tried the ST, and found it to be completely uncomfortable.

Didn't vote since I using right front pocket carry most of the time...

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    OWB always. In all the years I have been carrying I lasted about 5 minutes IWB due to being so uncomfortable. . OWB for me is comfortable, fast and have never had a problem concealing. But everyone is built different so i know some guys that love IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Glad you said that. this is the one I have been leaning toward.
    The Galco Concealables are my favorites. I've got one for everything I own. I've got a couple of other OWB's also. Tennessee just issues Handgun Carry Permits with no stipulation as to how you have to carry. I used to be more conscientious about concealing than I am now. I realize that some people don't like to see guns, so I try to keep mine covered just to avoid the "man with a gun" hassles. If people (including bad guys) see a suspicious bulge and want to speculate what's underneath the shirt, sweater, or jacket; then so be it. I have a permit for the bulge.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    IWB.

Just seems to give me a sense of keeping the firearm more secure.
    It feels great, with no uncomfortableness <? as I go about my daily routine.

Blaise Pascal:
    Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links