IWB or OWB?

This is a discussion on IWB or OWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious as to how many of you folks choose to carry OWB vs IWB. And why you choose as you do....

View Poll Results: IWB or OWB?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • OWB

50 30.86%
  • IWB

112 69.14%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: IWB or OWB?

IWB or OWB?

Curious as to how many of you folks choose to carry OWB vs IWB. And why you choose as you do.
    tts likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I don't have to be messing with my pants size and with good holsters and belts concealment is not a significant problem.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have both, and use both. I think variety is the spice of life and sometimes I just want to carry in a different holster. Comfort wise they are all about the same. I suppose I find myself OWB carrying more in winter when I have a coat or jacket on as it covers better. But I have and do OWB carry in summer under just a t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I have both, and use both. I think variety is the spice of life and sometimes I just want to carry in a different holster. Comfort wise they are all about the same. I suppose I find myself OWB carrying more in winter when I have a coat or jacket on as it covers better. But I have and do OWB carry in summer under just a t-shirt.
    So, you are still feeling the need to conceal the weapon even when carrying OWB?

Most of the time, it's OWB for me. It's just a more comfortable holster to wear. In situations where my shirttail must be tucked and I can't wear a cover garment, I have a couple of IWB's that I use.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    So, you are still feeling the need to conceal the weapon even when carrying OWB?
    Yea, I am not built for open carry. By that I mean that I don't want the hassles of it. By staying concealed I avoid being asked to leave places, avoid having to deal with cops on a MWAG call, and stay unsuspecting.

Again, not saying OC is bad or anyone shouldn't do it. It is just not for me. But alas, it is another discussion for the OC sub forum.

I'm curious what OWB's you all prefer when you have to conceal it. Been thinking about adding some to my collection.

I really prefer OWB for comfort, but I have to be discrete due to my work and my attire. IWB allows me to better conceal my guns.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Smolck,

I have a Hays pancake for my GP100 and discontinued SL Batwings (high and tight) for my 92's and my GP100.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yea, I am not built for open carry. By that I mean that I don't want the hassles of it. By staying concealed I avoid being asked to leave places, avoid having to deal with cops on a MWAG call, and stay unsuspecting.

Again, not saying OC is bad or anyone shouldn't do it. It is just not for me. But alas, it is another discussion for the OC sub forum.

I'm curious what OWB's you all prefer when you have to conceal it. Been thinking about adding some to my collection.
    I use Galco Concealables. I like the cant of the holster and they wrap close to the body so they minimize printing through the cover garment. The only time I use an IWB holster is when I can't wear a cover garment for some reason....shirt and tie indoors without a jacket, for example.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I use Galco Concealables. I like the cant of the holster and they wrap close to the body so they minimize printing through the cover garment. The only time I use an IWB holster is when I can't wear a cover garment for some reason....shirt and tie indoors without a jacket, for example.
    Glad you said that. this is the one I have been leaning toward.

Versa Max II for Glock 19, Sparks SS II for Kimber (will also be a VMII when it gets here), TT IWB on the way for the M&P, and a Kramer MSP for the SIG. All are IWB except for the Kramer. A SIG is kinda thick for IWB. Have not decided what I want for the XDm. I prefer IWB for the extra discretion it affords. I do not find it uncomfortable at all. IMO, it's all about the holster and belt.

Bianchi CarryLok. No problem with concealing, with the right shirts.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Did not vote because I use both. Mostly IWB in the summer and OWB in the winter with cover.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

I prefer OWB, though it's not always possible. When I can't carry OWB I like my Silent Thunder holsters.

I have been IWB (Taurus 709 Slim), but I think I will switch to a OWB high ride holster with a G26. I can coneal the 709 well and it's pretty comfortable, but it's not as easy to draw from IWB at 4-5 o'clock (I don't like 1-2 o'clock) and re-holster. I found out that during a recent IDPA BUG match and this is the primary reason I would like to change to OWB.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links