Are Crossbreed belts are not stiff enough?

This is a discussion on Are Crossbreed belts are not stiff enough? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me begin by saying I love all of my Crossbreed products. I have a single IWB and double IWB mag carriers and a Supertuck ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Are Crossbreed belts are not stiff enough?

Are Crossbreed belts are not stiff enough?

Let me begin by saying I love all of my Crossbreed products. I have a single IWB and double IWB mag carriers and a Supertuck for every one of my carry guns.

A while ago I ordered a belt from them and when it arrived I was very suprised. The edges were not burnished, the leather was VERY flexible and it scratched VERY easy.

I have belts by the Beltman, Gould and Goodrich, Aker and now Crossbreed.

The reason gunbelts work for me is that they are very stiff and keep your gun from flopping out when carried OWB. The Crossbreed is just very soft and doesn't do the job like the others do.

Unfortunately when it was delivered I put it in my closet and didn't look at it again for a month or so and by that time I was outside Crossbreeds two week window to return it.

Has anyone else noticed this with Crossbreed belts?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I own two of their belts and find them not only comfortable. They perform GREAT! They are plenty stiff for my CBSTs, PCWs & BUGs.

I've also tried a few other leather belts; all of which were TOO stiff & uncomfortable. I honestly believe Mark has done a GREAT job of balancing stiffness & comfort.

-

I've got one of the Blackhawk belts that the police supplies sell, doesn't look like much but stiff as hell. Can't go wrong for $50.

mrm
    I just hung up my crossbreed after 2 years of constant use, I will say it is still in good shape but here is the thing: I seem to always be in the middle of a hole on it so it is either to loose or to tight, so I got an 1 1/2" instructor belt from 5.11 and have to say it is wonderful and was only $40. Not saying anything bad about crossbreed (love their products) but not having preset holes sure is a winner with me.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    I just hung up my crossbreed after 2 years of constant use, I will say it is still in good shape but here is the thing: I seem to always be in the middle of a hole on it so it is either to loose or to tight, so I got an 1 1/2" instructor belt from 5.11 and have to say it is wonderful and was only $40. Not saying anything bad about crossbreed (love their products) but not having preset holes sure is a winner with me.
    I always order my belts with 7 holes 3/4" apart instead of the normal 5 holes 1" apart. That way I don't end up wanting an inbetween size

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    The Crossbreed gun belt is the only gun belt I own. I have used it for carrying my S&W M19 4" & my company radio at work. I haven't found anything wrong with it after about 2 years. I like it.
    SCGunLover1

CB is very good but I think Beltman is better

VIP Member
    I guess it is all a matter of personal needs and preferences. I found my Crossbreed to be way too soft.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I guess it is all a matter of personal needs and preferences. I found my Crossbreed to be way too soft.
    I think you're right Mike. That's why the "trashing" of products I've seen in some threads & other forums just doesn't make much sense. There are just way to many different needs & preferences in the CC world to say that any "ONE" item is better than everyone elses.

-

My CB belt has been great for my GLOCK 19. Like someone said about sometimes I wish I had more holes between the holes.
    That would be my only complaint, but I realize any leather belt with holes punched into it will suffer from this condition.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I bought a Aker which took over a month to get which they never told me it would be that long, when it did arrive I found it to be not what I bargained for. I sent it back told them of my concerns but never heard from them again. For me the best gunbelt I ever had and still have is a Hellweg from Australia although I have put on a inch from 20yrs ago but I solved that problem with a new belt buckle. I was very glad I still had it so I could meet my dress requirements for my last assignment

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    - I agree. I have a Beltman and find it to be too stiff and uncomfortable when I carry IWB. I do like it as a belt when I'm not carrying IWB though.

Cool

My Crossbreed is a two ply belt and it works fine for me after two years of use.

It is well finished and a quality product.

I also use Beltman belts and have had good luck with them.

photo.jpg
    Beltman belt with High Noon holster and Glock 23
    photo.jpg
    Crossbreed belt with Side Guard holster and Ruger SP-101

click images to enlarge....

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've only had my crossbreed belt for about 8 months but I've been very satisfied with it so far.

I bought a Crossbreed belt and SuperTuck holster about the first of the year. The belt was backed with Velcro to interface with the V-clips on the ST. I was very disappointed with all of it.

The belt is certainly stiff - it is also ugly and thick and scratches easily. The edge of the inner layer of leather is finished nicely, however, the outer layer is a fuzzball, it doesn't look like there was any attempt to finish it. The overall appearance of the belt - buckle, color and edge finish - is what I would call industrial (for want of a better term) - looks like it should be powering a piece of machinery or something. Perfect for hanging tool bags or outside work, but not if one's appearance is of even minor concern.

The V-clips were folded over so tight that I had to use a pocket knife to pry them open. I could have opened them up with a hair dryer, but I didn't bother as I was pretty disappointed with the belt and didn't plan to be wearing it much. I did try the ST with the metal clips and a different belt which worked well UNTIL I got in the car and realized they are not compatible with leather seats. I had to go back inside and change holsters before I could drive the car.

The Supertuck holster was great (as long as I wasn't concerned with the appearance of the belt or didn't plan to drive a vehicle with seats that I wanted to spare). However, as soon as the weather got warm enough not to wear an undershirt (about eleven and a half months of the year in South Texas), the ST was very uncomfortable against my bare skin. They should offer a nice soft glove leather or fabric lining and it would be perfect.

I was very surprised at these problems as I had read so many glowing comments and I really did try to like it. The holster and the belt are so close to being a great product, they just didn't pull it off very well. That belt is ugly and so stiff it really isn't necessary or practical for anything but a gunbelt. The metal clips are so obviously a hazard to the covering of any car or chair seat and would probably quickly wear a hole in the inside of a jacket that I can't believe no one has commented about it. And I'm sure that after six months or so the skin-side of the ST would break in (or wear a callus on my butt) so I guess I'm just not tough enough.

Either I got a lemon (a whole bunch of lemons) or a lot of other people have really low expectations in holsters and belts. It comes so close, but no cigar. CB has some great ideas just not well implemented.
    Last edited by Hill Country; November 1st, 2011 at 08:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links