Going to try building a Kydex Holster, have a question about rivets

This is a discussion on Going to try building a Kydex Holster, have a question about rivets within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been eyeing up a Raven Concealment holster for a while, but the wait time is way too long, so I decided I want to ...

Thread: Going to try building a Kydex Holster, have a question about rivets

Going to try building a Kydex Holster, have a question about rivets

I've been eyeing up a Raven Concealment holster for a while, but the wait time is way too long, so I decided I want to try to make a holster similar to theirs in the next couple weeks. My question is, what type of rivet do they use that is hollow so you can put a screw through it? I want to make one that I can convert from IWB to OWB.

Here's a picture of theirs as an example.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/imag...00-500x500.jpg
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

2. Remove Ads

Hit up Ebay lots of decent looking clones on there for decent price...or just Youtube it. There are how-tos on there for EVERYTHING
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would go with chicago screws over rivets, I dont trust rivets long term.

Sent from Nates Droid X

I've done a fair amount of research into working with Kydex, and I'm planning on building a light carrier for my SureFire too. I did more research and what I'm looking for is "grommets".

I want to use grommets so I can also use each one as a hole to mount the belt loops/hooks to. There will be a couple screws in each side holding it together, so I'm not too worried about them failing.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've made several kydex holsters and the rivets are a pain in the butt if you don't have the proper tools to set them. Plus, if you need to reheat the kydex to form fit the holster, the rivet holes expand enough to make the rivets loose. You're better off dropping by the local hardware store and seeing what type of hardware is available. Drill the holes where you need to and install screws. Nice thing about kydex is that almost any mistake can be corrected. Form fitted holsters are generally too tight for drawing and a quick run over with a heat gun will soften the material just enough to relax it. I use hand tools for everything, but if I were making several, I'd invest in a belt sander. Gets old filing and sanding.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    CLICK THIS LINK - Scroll down the page.
    Sheath Making Materials/Supplies : USA Knife Maker Supply, Operated by a knifenaker for knifemakers!

By the way...those ones with the holes running down the sides of the Raven Concealment holster are not called grommets. They are called Eyelets and they can be found on the same linked page further down. Buy the best quality.

You will need to buy the hand eylet setter and anvil also. It's not expensive & you'll need to either drill the exact correct size holes or buy a hole punch.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    CLICK THIS LINK - Scroll down the page.
    Sheath Making Materials/Supplies : USA Knife Maker Supply, Operated by a knifenaker for knifemakers!

By the way...those ones with the holes running down the sides of the Raven Concealment holster are not called grommets. They are called Eyelets and they can be found on the same linked page further down. Buy the best quality.

You will need to buy the hand eylet setter and anvil also. It's not expensive & you'll need to either drill the exact correct size holes or buy a hole punch.
    Thanks for the link, that's actually the website I ran across right after I found the name of them and ended up buying some along with the setter and anvil.

Senior Moderator
    Another good one that I use...

Leather & Kydex
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Before trying a holster for my XD, I wanted to get a little practice working with Kydex, so I built a magazine carrier for a spare magazine for my XD. I'm off of school for a week for Thanksgiving, so I'm going to try building a holster for my XD then.

IMG_20111112_160913.jpgIMG_20111112_215602.jpgIMG_20111112_215703.jpg

Administrator
    nice neat job
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I haven't had an "eyelet" or a "rivet" fail on me when I've set them properly. It does take a little bit of patience and practice to get them set properly thought (good thing they come in packs of 100). Once you get the technique down, its easy with the hand tools. I've actually turned my rivet setter into a press by cutting the tool in half and using a bench vise instead of a hammer to set them. Much easier and cosistent for me. Oh, and I get my rivets and kydex from Knifekits.com .

Links