Laser Grips

Laser Grips

This is a discussion on Laser Grips within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I have so far resisted buying these for many reasons: Not wanting to get sloppy and rely on them instead of the sights, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Grips

Laser Grips

Okay, I have so far resisted buying these for many reasons: Not wanting to get sloppy and rely on them instead of the sights, and fear that the \"beam\" will be seen and provide a bad guy aiming point....etc. But there are some very good points on having them both for a dedicated HOUSE gun and on a \"carry piece.\" Firing from odd or contorted positions is a good example. Having to shoot from behind cover where my only option is weak side shooting will require me to expose more of my precious body parts with less hope of good accuracy. I know because I frequently have this problem with my IDPA competitions. I could see myself doing it for real and getting perforated. NOT a desireable outcome. ALSO there is valid deterrent factors to consider. The RED DOT has been responsible for more de-escalations of deadly force situations recently. That\'s a good thing, too IMHO.

So my question is are the Laser Grips a neat toy unworthy of adding to a serious carry or house gun...OR are they a useful tool that have serious applications in specific situations?

FWIW, I plan to put them on a Sig P220 with a rail so that i can also attach a SureFire X200 gunlight. This will become a dedicated HOUSE GUN and a backup for my wife to my Sig P245 for long trips. It\'s not really going to be a steady carry gun in my local area. Maybe once in awhile, if it conceals well in the Blade Tech holster (specific to the gunlight attachment) I plan on getting.:D

DC Founder
    I have a friend that will not have a gun of any kind without a laser. I had a Springfield Champion .45 with Crimson Trace grips on it and I liked it but could not get used to the switch on the side of the grips. The new Crimson Trace grips have the activator switch in the front of the wraparound grips. Much better placement.

Like you I have not yet made up my mind how I feel about them but I think they have a place on a carry weapon as long as they don\'t change the operation of it. I would not want to use them exclusively to the point that you become dependent on them, IMHO.

Laser Grips ~ Bumper

There is another point to be made. I used to be able to see my front sight in SHARP definition, not so good now at age 47. Night Sights are a help, but a buddy of mine maintains the red dot is a big help to those of us with aging eyes. I sure don\'t want to be reliant on them....I have to agree with you there. For sure the damn things will fail as soon as the lead starts to fly. Murphy\'s Law.

VIP Member
    They are a useful tool for specific applications.

Shooting up close and personal in self-defense may mean you can\'t raise your gun to eye level to use your sights, but you can shoot from retention and use the laser to aim well.

A friend of mine trains his handicapped students to use the lasergrips - many of his students have weak arms and are unable to raise them to eye level. One of his students ended up in a robbery where two men knocked him over in his wheelchair at an ATM and started to beat him; the victim drew his gun, put the red dot on one guy\'s chest, fired, and killed him. The other perp ran.

If you\'re like me and are half blind without glasses, lasers could be a great way to aim when you\'re caught off guard in the middle of the night when you\'re sleeping with your glasses off, or if you have your glasses knocked off in a confrontation.

I don\'t use them in conjunction with my CCW, but the SP101 .357 in the safe next to the bed has them and it\'s GREAT to know I have that intuitive Point & Click interface ready to roll in case someone comes to visit uninvited. From a deep sleep, I don\'t want to have to fool with anything but point & click...okay, point & BANG. ;)

Rickman
    I wouldn\'t mind having one as long as they were unobtrusive. Hanging off the rail doesn\'t appeal to me but one of the grip or guide rod modles might be good for those middle of the night encounters.

Most of us are Citizens

Most confrontations citizens have are not in low light conditions where the laser might be of value.

Murphy says \'i\'ll kill your batteries when you really need them\'.

Would rather not learn to be dependent on a battery operated device that is useable only in low light. Learn the sights, stance, etc. Just the opinion of an old guy.

I have CT grips on all 3 of my revs and find them very useful for quick target aquisition esp in low light situations. As far as the relying on batteries, we rely on batteries in almost every situation you can think of. Plus Crimson Trace sends me a new pair of batteries every year anyway weather I need them of not.

Originally posted by ExSoldier762
    ...Not wanting to get sloppy and rely on them instead of the sights...
    This never happens no matter what the naysayers happen to say.

I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

KC135,

The reason I carry a flashlight IS because more than likely if I am ever in a \"situation\" it will be dark or near dark and any help I can get will be needed, I want to win. And stay alive.

Also I have handled some laser grips on the show and tell racks in gun stores, they work much better than you can ever think, even in normal light. You should give them a look, and try them before you pass them by. IMHO. I will own some soon.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I am also thinking about getting these for my j-frame carry gun.

Ridgerunner
    With the front strap activation pad they are great.

Member Array Bullwinkle J Moose's Avatar
    I have a couple guns with laser grips, a J frame and a Ruger 22 std. They can be a useful addition. You seem to have thought out the plusses and minuses well, so go for it.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Bumper
    I have a friend that will not have a gun of any kind without a laser. I had a Springfield Champion .45 with Crimson Trace grips on it and I liked it but could not get used to the switch on the side of the grips. The new Crimson Trace grips have the activator switch in the front of the wraparound grips. Much better placement.
    Another thing I neglected to mention is on the Springfield and on my Kimber, the protruding pin part of the slide release on the right side of the frame sticks out enough to block part of the laser beam. It doesn\'t make a big difference except to catch your eye when aiming but I was also a little bit concerned that if there was a second BG off to your right a bit, the scatter of the laser beam might light up your face in the dark and make a really good target. I would proabbly opt to have a gunsmith reduce the length of the pin enough to clear the path of the laser. I think I had also heard you can get a spacer to put between the grips and the frame to clear it.

Something sorta funny about it is you turn on the laser close to an object, the pattern projected on the object looks like a little Pacman :)

I have old eyes - and I have CT\'s on my 5 pistols: 442, 66, BHP, Colt Compact, Kimber UC-2. Besides getting me back into shooting, I have found that I actually CAN still shoot without the laser. CT\'s are a real confidence builder!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links