Just ordered a Galco V-Hawk

This is a discussion on Just ordered a Galco V-Hawk within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Milt Sparks VMII for each one of my carry guns. I decided try the Galco V-Hawk to see how they compare. I ...

Thread: Just ordered a Galco V-Hawk

Just ordered a Galco V-Hawk

I have a Milt Sparks VMII for each one of my carry guns. I decided try the Galco V-Hawk to see how they compare.

I didn't see much posed on this forum about it.

Does anyone have any experience with this holster?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    I have a Milt Sparks VMII for each one of my carry guns. I decided try the Galco V-Hawk to see how they compare.

I didn't see much posed on this forum about it.

Does anyone have any experience with this holster?

I've got one for my Kimber. I'm not a big fan of IWB holsters, but when you have to wear one, this one works well. The hooks are spaced wide enough that it makes a stable and comfortable platform to carry. I like the leather as opposed to Kydex because it doesn't scuff up the gun's finish as much. With the Galco, you have the option of using leather loops around the belt or "C" hooks if you want to tuck a shirt. Both the loops and "C" hooks come with the holster. Quality and stitching are top notch in my opinion. Here's a photo of my rig.

002.JPG
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I've got one for my Kimber. I'm not a big fan of IWB holsters, but when you have to wear one, this one works well. The hooks are spaced wide enough that it makes a stable and comfortable platform to carry. I like the leather as opposed to Kydex because it doesn't scuff up the gun's finish as much. With the Galco, you have the option of using leather loops around the belt or "C" hooks if you want to tuck a shirt. Both the loops and "C" hooks come with the holster. Quality and stitching are top notch in my opinion. Here's a photo of my rig.

002.JPG
    What kind of belt is that you are using? It looks like a smooth nylon belt in the picture but thick.

I have never had any luck with any belts other than dual layer leather.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What kind of belt is that you are using? It looks like a smooth nylon belt in the picture but thick.

I have never had any luck with any belts other than dual layer leather.
    The belt is from Galco also. MB1 Matrix that's made from synthetic material. I've worn this one about every day for a year and it still looks like new. I've got some leather gun belts that look better. I just wear this one to knock around in. It's not as thick and stiff as the leather belts but it still supports the gun well.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Galco makes top notch stuff IMO. The V-hawk is just as high quality as all their other products. Exchangeable belt hooks is nice too.

Distinguished Member
    I used a V-hawk for a while until my Pure Kustom holster arrived. It's a decent holster. My main complaint about it is the leather isn't stiff enough (other than the reinforced mouth) so it collapses a bit making it harder to insert the pistol into it sometimes taking it slightly out of battery. It's not a holster size issue because it would fit perfectly smooth when it wasn't being worn. Every so often I'd get it just right where it didn't but usually I had to make sure it was in battery.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I used a V-hawk for a while until my Pure Kustom holster arrived. It's a decent holster. My main complaint about it is the leather isn't stiff enough (other than the reinforced mouth) so it collapses a bit making it harder to insert the pistol into it sometimes taking it slightly out of battery. It's not a holster size issue because it would fit perfectly smooth when it wasn't being worn. Every so often I'd get it just right where it didn't but usually I had to make sure it was in battery.
    I have a Galco Snap Side and it is made of VERY stiff leather. It took a lot longer for me to break it in than other leather.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thats a shame. I love how the Milt Sparks VMII has a piece of metal in the area of the mouth to keep the mouth open.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    Thats a shame. I love how the Milt Sparks VMII has a piece of metal in the area of the mouth to keep the mouth open.
    The Galco has the reinforced mouth, it's the rest of the holster that collapses slightly when worn making it a little harder to insert a pistol. As for wear and feel it was very nice.

Distinguished Member
    I have a Galco Snap Side and it is made of VERY stiff leather. It took a lot longer for me to break it in than other leather.
    Interesting. So if you take your pistol out and try to squeeze the barrel end/bottom of the holster together you can't do it? With my Galco I can make both sides touch with a little pressure. It would close that much when worn but it didn't hold a perfect shape either. Maybe I just got a dud.

Interesting. So if you take your pistol out and try to squeeze the barrel end/bottom of the holster together you can't do it? With my Galco I can make both sides touch with a little pressure. It would close that much when worn but it didn't hold a perfect shape either. Maybe I just got a dud.
    Mine will squeeze together at the bottom also (I currently have seven Galco holsters). I've not found it to be a problem, certainly not to the point of taking a gun partially out of battery.

I just went and checked it and I can squeeze it together but it takes quite a bit of force. I compared it to two of my VMII's and it is actually stiffer than the Milt Sparks leather.

I would call Galco and see if they will exchange it for you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Mine will squeeze together at the bottom also (I currently have seven Galco holsters). I've not found it to be a problem, certainly not to the point of taking a gun partially out of battery.
    I guess I got a piece of soft leather or it wasn't stiffened enough.

I just went and checked it and I can squeeze it together but it takes quite a bit of force. I compared it to two of my VMII's and it is actually stiffer than the Milt Sparks leather.

I would call Galco and see if they will exchange it for you.

I just took mine out to check it again and it's pretty easy to push the bottom together with just two fingers. Actually placing a bottle of Snapple on it almost makes both ends touch at the very bottom. Good to know they aren't all like that. I'm also used to my PK holsters which are so stiff it's is like trying to press together a kydex holster. If it was my carry holster I would contact Galco but this is just a spare at this point so I don't think I'll worry about it.

Links