Backpack for EDC? What gear would you carry?

This is a discussion on Backpack for EDC? What gear would you carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes I like to think about what I would do without certain practical limitations. For example, if I could comfortably carry a larger amount of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Backpack for EDC? What gear would you carry?

Sponsor

Sometimes I like to think about what I would do without certain practical limitations. For example, if I could comfortably carry a larger amount of gear/equipment on me would I do it? Let me explain, I live near a university and its pretty common to see people carrying backpacks really its common anywhere in the valley and no one would even give it a second thought (It would probably draw less attention than a fanny pack or "Tactical" messenger bag).

This got me thinking, lets say I could find the PERFECT backpack, small light, with a non military look and used that to carry gear/equipment? When I say small I"m talking close to the size of a US army hydration pack, so maybe 16"x2"6" for the bag. Would that extra space be useful for every day carry of extra gear?

Now that I've explained my train of thought, let me as the question. If you had a backpack that was perfectly comfortable (I'm not sure if one exists, so this is purely hypothetical) and would allow you to carry extra gear in a space as large as 16"x2"x6" what would you carry for every day use?

Thanks!
    Clay

Sponsor
    So, for my reply. Its difficult for me to think of what I would like to keep on my person when most of the time I'm within 200 feet of my truck where I have a good BOB. But there are things that, if used, really require immediate availability. The first thing that comes to mind is a first aid kit with supplies to treat traumatic injuries and gun shot wounds, maybe copy a bit of the contents of a US Army CLS bag.

The next option would be a BUG and extra ammo.

So far I have the following, and its really all I can think of right now.

-First Aid Kit
    -Back Up Gun
    -Extra magazines/ammunition

So maybe, even if given a comfortable option to carry extra gear on a daily basis I wouldn't utilize the space provided with an EDC backpack. But would still be better off with other methods of carrying these things (Although I think I would be getting rid of the first aid kit).

Maybe I'm just limiting myself on options because I'm so used to being space limited that I can't think outside of that box. Thats why I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys think.

-Clay

Senior Moderator
    Already there..

Gun
    Wallet
    Tactical Pen
    Pepper Spray
    Diapers
    Wipes
    Sippy Cup (I'm a mom, what can I say?)
    Multi-tool
    Band-aides
    4x4 gauze pads
    Ace bandage
    Flashlight
    Calculator
    Notebook
    Eh hem... female products
    Chapstick
    Protein Bars
    Water

And when they get here:
    QuikClot Combat Gauze
    Compressed Gauze
    Israeli Bandage
    CAT tourniquet

And that's about it right now.

I guess because I'm already forced to carry a bag (just about the time my 2 y/o was giving up lots of needs I'm about to have another baby so it all starts over again) so I might as well stock it with other stuff I could need at a moments notice.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    You'll be adding diapers and wipies to that soon enough, limatunes.

I don't usually carry anything but when I do it's a backpack. I was given a really cool one at a software conference that has all kinds of pockets and I usually carry some snacks, water, an extra mag, and when I really want to go whole hog I'll throw the G17 in there, either in addition to the PM9 in my pocket or as a replacement for it. Have never given thought to first aid or anything like that but that's a very good idea.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Very smart Woman,see the Glock Guy's!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Already there..

Gun
    Wallet
    Tactical Pen
    Pepper Spray
    Diapers
    Wipes
    Sippy Cup (I'm a mom, what can I say?)
    Multi-tool
    Band-aides
    4x4 gauze pads
    Ace bandage
    Flashlight
    Calculator
    Notebook
    Eh men... female products
    Chapstick
    Protein Bars
    Water

And when they get here:
    QuikClot Combat Gauze
    Compressed Gauze
    Israeli Bandage
    CAT tourniquet

And that's about it right now.

I guess because I'm already forced to carry a bag (just about the time my 2 y/o was giving up lots of needs I'm about to have another baby so it all starts over again) so I might as well stock it with other stuff I could need at a moments notice.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    You'll be adding diapers and wipies to that soon enough, limatunes.
    Already in there!

One the second kiddo is born the only changes I'll be making is adding the smaller diapers for the little one and bottle when needed. My gun will go back on my body and I'll use the extra space for spare magazines.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Already in there!

One the second kiddo is born the only changes I'll be making is adding the smaller diapers for the little one and bottle when needed. My gun will go back on my body and I'll use the extra space for spare magazines.
    Just throw the other happy stick in there and call it a day.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

My EDC bag is a Maxpedition Malaga with a couple external pouches attached. I don't carry it on my person, but it goes with me in my vehicle everyday.

It also goes with me at work on the ambulance since it has some creature comfort items in case I end up on an extended operation (8 or 10 hours). I've been on a few of those over the years.

Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Maxpedition Jumbo for me. It has a dedicated BUG in it at all times. It stays in the truck and if my wife and I are out and decide to separate to go to different stores she carries it so she will be armed.

If she leaves the hous eby herself she carries but if I'm with her she leaves it at home. Haven't quite figured out how to change that habit yet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

maxpedition screams tactical

Go pick up a backpack from a local sporting good store. Padded pockets that are designed to hold electronics are perfect for a firearm.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Maxpedition Falcon II

-Flashlight
    -Spare Mag
    -Notepad and pen
    -4 inch folder w/ serrated blade
    -20 ft paracord
    -2GB Thumb Drive with Serpent-TwoFish-AES encrypted file containing a copy of all important documents that I may need if unable to make it home for extended time
    -Small laptop
    -Extra extended cell phone battery and universal charger
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Soft back body armor panel. 2A is in mine.

First aid kit, flash light and extra mags.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I like the Maxpedition Fatboy, carries all the goodies I need daily. Here in CO, any type of pack/bag is not given a second look.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Sponsor
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I've really been looking at the Maxpedition Sitka. I've used the messenger bag style and it didn't work well for me. The sitka gives the benefits of carrying on the back yet still allows for access while its being worn. This also means that if I'm every using public transit I can keep it on my person by just swinging it around to my chest. I really like the idea of your documents being stored on an encrypted flash drive. Thats a great idea and I think I'll have to do that myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links