OWB Holster question.

OWB Holster question.

This is a discussion on OWB Holster question. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, So, from reading different posts and things like that it got me thinking... I think I want to get an OWB holster during ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OWB Holster question.

Hey everyone,
    So, from reading different posts and things like that it got me thinking... I think I want to get an OWB holster during the winter so I can just wear a coat over it and I am assuming it would be more comfortable than an IWB. So a few questions..

Is it more comfy to wear OWB than IWB?

Do you find it pretty easy to keep it covered? And do you have to plan your day out pretty well so your not in a place where you would look weird wearing a coat.

Lastly, do you recommend any good OWB holsters for a Springfield XD compact? Or can I just use a basic one like the one that came with my gun??

Thanks everyone!!
    -Nick

Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro! Click the link at top of page and select "Kustom Holsters", mine is the "Trooper" holds my SA XD40 SC great, no problems at all and comfortable. If it's cool enough for a coat, I'll wear a sweatshirt under it and just cover it with the sweatshirt if the coat comes off.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I personally find OWB's to be more comfortable and most of the time that's how I carry. If you choose a holster that pulls the gun in tight against the body, it's pretty easy to conceal. In the winter, a bulky sweater or sweatshirt will conceal mine just fine. It's hard to work indoors and keep your coat on all day, but a pullover sweater fits with most business attire.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

OWB is almost always more comfy, but if you size your trou and belts appropriately, IWB need not be uncomfortable. Note - use a GUN BELT. The ones off the rack at Wal-Mart or Macy's are not stiff enough to support a serious fighting weapon.

If you make a point to dress around your weapon/carry rig, it's not a big deal. Back east I found a nice Bean's down vest that was trouser-pocket length was ideal, as was a Filson wool vest. A sweater works well, too, but make sure you practice your draw with it.

My standard OWB holster for the 1911s is a Horseshoe Leather 28S. For the smaller guns I use various paddle and belt holsters.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Awesome guys, I appreciate the responses. Should I look more for a kydex style? I seem to have more faith in those than pure leather ones. Any opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    Awesome guys, I appreciate the responses. Should I look more for a kydex style? I seem to have more faith in those than pure leather ones. Any opinion?
    Leather is more comfortable (if any part is against the body) and it last much longer.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good points by everyone, and in addition, OWB even works in the summer with a good baggy T-shirt to cover. Might print a little depending on how you move, but the sooner you realize that no one else notices, you won't notice either. I usually carry either a Ruger LCR or a Kahr PM9, and sometimes a Glock 26 in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide. They are inexpensive enough, I have one for every gun I own/carry. A good gun belt makes a big difference. Look at Gunners Alley or Beltman Belts for some pretty good belts for decent prices.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have both IWB and OWB holsters, and agree with the others who have said OWB is generally more comfortable. If you size your pants correctly and have a good gun belt and holster, IWB is not uncomfortable, but OWB is still more comfortable in my opinion. Either way, you do need a good gun belt--not a regular belt. Also, I prefer leather to kydex. I have both, and the leather fits closer to body, looks better in my view, and is more comfortable and easier to conceal. The kydex is OK if you are at the range or in the field and not worried about keeping anything concealed. Just my .02 worth.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I find the OWB much more comfortable than IWB. It conceals very well with only a shirt covering it. My personal preference is for leather over kydex.
    We have a member here at DC who make holsters on the side.
    I ordered one from him and am very pleased with it. Very reasonably priced also. His name is "Spidey2011" If you're interested PM him.
    Below is a link to the thread I posted when I recieved my holster from him (pictures included)
    New Holster for my M&P
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Check out Hays Holsters for a great OWB. He is a member here too. I have one of his pancake OWB's for my LCR and I had Jeff add holes and include leather IWB snap loops so I can wear it IWB too. It rides high IWB but it conceals well and is uber comfy.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Generally speaking I find the OWB holsters more comfortable, but only if they hold the gun tightly to my side.

I like both. My SIG is a thick gun, as those guns are, so that gets carried OWB. All others, including my XDm, are carried IWB. I trade a bit of comfort for better concealment. But they are comfortable enough. Get a good holster and belt, whichever way you go.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: This may be a conflict in terms but I like OWB but do not like wearing a belt. Any suggestions? Any experience with say a paddle. Obviously there has to be a problem with weight pulling on pants, but I live in SC, usually wear sport shorts akin to a bathing suit and would like to have something that works for CC (maybe it just ain't so) with a regular sized firearm (not a mouse and not in pocket).

Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    Hey everyone,
    So, from reading different posts and things like that it got me thinking... I think I want to get an OWB holster during the winter so I can just wear a coat over it and I am assuming it would be more comfortable than an IWB. So a few questions..

Is it more comfy to wear OWB than IWB?

Do you find it pretty easy to keep it covered? And do you have to plan your day out pretty well so your not in a place where you would look weird wearing a coat.

Lastly, do you recommend any good OWB holsters for a Springfield XD compact? Or can I just use a basic one like the one that came with my gun??

Thanks everyone!!
    -Nick
    Hi Nick -- I have only been carrying about 3 years now. Tried several holsters and much prefer owb. I finally settled on an Alabama High and Tight with the belt clip for my G36. Summer time in Oklahoma is HOT so I bought a couple of over sized T-shirts. For when a T-shirt is not appropriate dress I got a few button up shirts that are made to wear untucked. Hope this helps you.
    From a Marine sniper -- "You can run but you will just die tired"
    Semper Fi

I have several holsters, both IWB and OWB. A good belt makes all the difference in comfort. I generally wear OWB, and have no problem wearing untucked shirts or in the winter, a jacket or sweater. I get extra long shirts so I have better concealment. But, I use IWB lots of times when I need more concealment, such as yesterday when I helped out with a reading program at the local elementary school and used a tuckable holster for my Ruger LC9.

In Utah, printing is not a problem, and OC is legal, so if the gun is exposed accidently, there is no violation of the law. I don't know about Nebraska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links