Molded Nylon Holsters (ever use one)

This is a discussion on Molded Nylon Holsters (ever use one) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at a cheap molded nylon holster for my M&P. I have nice leather stuff, a hybrid kydex one, and so forth. But ...

Thread: Molded Nylon Holsters (ever use one)

I am looking at a cheap molded nylon holster for my M&P. I have nice leather stuff, a hybrid kydex one, and so forth. But I am looking for a soft, comfortable OWB and this looks good. The $14 price looks REALLY good. Anyone ever use something like this?

My main concern is the trigger guard being solid enough to not allow an AD.

Here are some pics. Any experience with these good or bad? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images

My friend had a nylon holster for his S&W 9mm (can't remember what model, it was full size, this was circa 1993). He bought it cuz we were in college and the price was right. He hated it. The nylon wasn't strong like leather he said it felt like it was always "sagging", it rubbed the finish on his gun, difficult to re-holster (not sure why, we didn't go into it). He used it the whole time we were in college though, I am sure he replaced it once we got jobs. We were in Illinois so it wasn't a CC gun, only holstered it while on the range really so it held up the whole time, not sure how long it would have lasted as a daily carry holster though.

VIP Member
    I envision that soft, un-reinforced mouth getting inside the trigger guard while holstering the firearm, causing an ND which routes a nice groove down the leg of it's owner.

The look good but they don't hold up under constant carry use. Another thing is they r hard to hide. Slide ur weapon in and look how thick it will be on ur side but they r comfortable I can say that much. Leather or kydex is a lot thinner and will last many many years more. For the price ur stating ur not out much , unless u have a firearm discharge....hmmm

Stick with a quality holster for your own safety...spend the money for a good holster instead of an ER visit.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you want a nylon holster you might try one from Bagmaster that I have used. Dispense with the removeable retention strap and run your belt through the loops outside the holster, (it's ambidextrous), to pull it close to the body.

Belt Slide Holster - BAGMASTER - Quality Bags, Cases and Holsters

Is it as good as a quality leather holster? No.

Will it work and is it comfortable and safe to use? Yes.

cj
    I've been curious about those as well...trying to figure out just how stiff and sturdy the 'molding' is. I'm more curious about integrating them into other designs than on their own, so if you try it out, I'd like to hear how it behaves, how stiff they manage to get the molding, etc.

Ok, so the general concensus is a resounding "no". It's almost a shame to not try it for only $14. It isn't for the purpose of replacing my quality leather stuff, just thought about trying it as I have an obsession with buying holsters. Always in search of that elusive "perfect" holster.

Links