Shoulder Rig

Shoulder Rig

This is a discussion on Shoulder Rig within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I have an excellent shoulder rig I bought from El Paso Saddlery. Very comfy and works well with my 1911s. My question has ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ksholder

Thread: Shoulder Rig

Shoulder Rig

Hi everyone,

I have an excellent shoulder rig I bought from El Paso Saddlery. Very comfy and works well with my 1911s. My question has to do with how to properly and safely draw from it. I understand there are some special considerations with a shoulder rig and wonder if anyone with experience/training in the proper techniques would be willing to share. Thanks

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have an excellent shoulder rig I bought from El Paso Saddlery. Very comfy and works well with my 1911s. My question has to do with how to properly and safely draw from it. I understand there are some special considerations with a shoulder rig and wonder if anyone with experience/training in the proper techniques would be willing to share. Thanks
    I understand your question and that is why I have only owned one shoulder rig; I don't have a good answer.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Like all of us, I have a bag full of holsters - some of which I actually use. Every holster has a slightly different technique required to allow for good pistol presentation. Traditionally, I have used shoulder holsters and I also carry 1911's as my primary pistol.

I'm left handed so when I draw from a shoulder holster, I have to practice lifting my right arm up so that my right arm is out of the way (I try to make sure my upper arm is parallel to the ground and shoulder level) when I draw the pistol. I also practice dropping the safety as the gun is going forward to the target (with my finger off the trigger) - that has to become an instinctive habit - a reflex. I practice this draw at least twice a week, at least 100 reps. That is something I do with all the holsters I use(all three of them).

I think that is why I prefer 1911's and single action pistols/revolvers - you need to cock and/or release a safety at a target before you fire the gun. It is also something you need to practice. I hope I never have to use the gun to protect myself, but, if you carry, you have to practice the needed technique.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
    Hi everyone,

Assuming that your holster is a horizontal holster with the muzzle pointing to the rear, here is what I do (open to any constructive criticism):

1. Grasp pistol and break the thumb break
    2. Ensure that body parts - arm - is out of the way
    3. Draw gun straight out
    4. Put trigger finger on slide
    5. Drop muzzle to point at ground
    6. Swing drawing arm to a forward position at mid chest
    7. Rotate muzzle up so barrel is horizontal (parallel to the ground) If you have a safety to take off-safe, do it while the gun is coming up to horizontal
    8. Bring off-hand up to support the weapon - unless off-hand is otherwise occupied.

To reholster, reverse the sequence. This keeps you from sweeping people to your left. When you draw, there is no way to avoid sweeping people directly behind you as you rotate the muzzle down - keep your finger off the trigger!!!
    WD54241 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links