Cargo Pants

This is a discussion on Cargo Pants within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a pair of cargo pants ( wrangler ) pockets are large . Went to a few gun stores looking for a comfortable concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cargo Pants

Cargo Pants

I bought a pair of cargo pants ( wrangler ) pockets are large . Went to a few gun stores looking for a comfortable concealed weapon ( CCW). Easily pocketed a Ruger LCR, Kahr PM9 in front pocket . Not both at same time LOL.
    Got me to thinking about a backup gun being carried in large cargo pocket on side of pants. I put a Glock 26 in there easily.
    Only problem seemed to get lost in the large pocket. I did not have it in a holster at that point. Do any of you carry firearms in this pocket ? What would your holster recommendation be ? Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Ads

I carry 2 G27's as B-up,one ankle,one cargo pocket,I had a local holster maker(Kenny Campbell,Springville,AL) make me a wallet style out of horsehide,he sewed thin rubber to the back,and half of the front so it stays in place during the draw.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've tried different guns in the large lower pockets of cargo pants and shorts but the guns flop around and scream gun. Perhaps when we are all carrying the dollar bill replacements coins no one will pay attention to the pocket flop. There is nothing I can think of that I would ever carry in cargo pockets that would hang and flop like a gun. Even tools would be on a tool belt. The deep upper pockets are perfect for a snubby or P3AT.

VIP Member
    I carry a spare mag in the cargo pocket, but the draw for a weapon would have several issues. First, getting to the pocket is time consuming and rather obvious. Second, the gun won't stay in a defined position to facilitate a draw. Third, if the pockets are secure enough to hold the gun without fear of its coming out, getting it out in an emergency is not likely to be quick. I prefer to keep my guns in holsters on my belt or the normal front pockets of my pants.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sponsor
    I have made several different pocket holsters for my P32 and P3AT for cargo pocket carry. I really did not like the way they felt while walking. It didn't matter if the holster was curved around the thigh or flat. Whether it filled the pocket entirely or just supported the pistol. They all felt like they were being swung around on the end of a string slapping my leg with ever step I took. The same pistol holstered in a front or rear hip pocket disappeared and was very comfortable.
    I just never embraced pocket carry so I didn't pursue any pocket holster designs for production.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The large cargo pocket would be for a backup gun, hopefully never have to use either gun. Dont see where the backup gun would have to be gotten to as fast as the primary, could be wrong.

I suggest this if you are considering carrying a gun in your cargo pocket.

Unload the gun, put it in your holster, and then put the gun in your pocket.

Now go try to run with it in there. Either the pocket will be too loose, and it will come out. Or it will beat the heck out of your outer thigh.

I learned through many "humps" cargo pockets are for soft things
    varob likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Have you seen these?
    Pants: ccwbreakaways.com

I don't have a pair but they look like possibly a slick solution to pocket carry of even a pretty large/heavy gun. They're a bit pricier than the Wranglers (and those are now my favorite pants), but there's been a lot of work put into a pair of them. If you get a pair please let us know how well they work.

As far as carrying in the cargo pockets, I've tried it and don't care for it even carrying small, light pistols; maybe if I had a wider/taller pocket holster made just for the cargo pocket it would work better for me. Slower draw, more of a reach, and the pistol flops around terribly when I walk - can't imagine trying to run while carrying that way. That said, quite a few people do it successfully.

Cargo pants....fine in the sandbox... over here in civilization (well we are still sorta civilized, aren't we?) I think cargo pants and vests/coats used for carry tend to make you look like the Michelin Man...

One of the wise folks here said as much about gear bags... as you get more experience, you find you need less "gear."

Okay, I'm not walkin in the 'hood every day... I'm just trying to make sure I get home... If I gotta have 2 +guns and 6 mags on me, plus a full 'crash" bag and more, in the car... I'm in the wrong place...
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    I've got on Wrangler cargo pants right now, pretty much wear them everyday for work. I don't have much use for the big cargo pocket on my legs, in fact I wish it didn't have those. The regular pockets on the side are pretty roomy and fit my holstered LCP very well; I have carried a G27 in them as well.

IIRC there was a video of a guy using a pocket holster especially designed to be used out of a cargo pocket. I wasn't impressed and know I wouldn't like the gun weight hitting my leg on each step I made.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    K said about the same thing I would say-- so see post 4

That said, I've carried with one in each of the two pockets. I use el-cheapo holsters (yeah, Uncle Mike's) and wrap tape and crap around them so they don't slide around in the pockets. (Wouldn't do that to fine leather. )

The big downside is not printing (I wouldn't be let out the door by Mrs H if she caught a glimpse) or the weight pulling the pants saggy down. The downside to carrying in the lower pockets of cargo pants is that you need arms like an orangutan to draw.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I've carried my LCR in my cargo pants but the gun and holster swing a lot when I walk. Pretty noticeable and pretty annoying as well. I usually just stick to the right front pocket.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Since I am retired, I generally wear Levis or cargo pants/shorts, depending on the temperature, 99.9% of the time. When I carry a gun in a pocket, rather than in a belt holster, it is a S&W 642 in a DeSantis Nemisis holster in the FRONT pocket of the cargo pants/shorts. I do not like carrying in the cargo pockets. Tried it a home one time and never went out of the house that way! Gun and pocket flops around, looks and feels "funny", and can't get to it rapidly. And forget even trying to run! Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have a pair of cargo pants, wearing them now, in fact, but since I made a mistake one day and wore them to do weed eating, they got stained pretty bad, and now they are my gardening, lawn mowing, etc pants.

I don't like heavy things in the big, lower pockets, either, as several posters have mentioned. The large, top pockets are good for carrying anything, though.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have carried in my cargo pants pockets, in both shorts and full-length pants.

If the pocket's too big, get a bigger gun!
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links