Holster ideas for wife around the house...

This is a discussion on Holster ideas for wife around the house... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for holster ideas for wifey... She is a stay at home mom, and she wants to have her gun on her around the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ishmael

Thread: Holster ideas for wife around the house...

I'm looking for holster ideas for wifey...

She is a stay at home mom, and she wants to have her gun on her around the house and when she goes jogging. Her carry gun is a Bodyguard .380...

During the day she likes to wear sweats, gym shorts, etc. She loves her Remora holster, but it won't stay put with her "house clothes".

We've been looking at "belly band" style holsters, but reviews are pretty mixed. However, we're thinking something like this might be the best option in these circumstances. If belly band is the way to go, is there any benefit to the 6" width over the 4"?

Are there any other holster designs we should take a look at? Thanks!!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    My 2 cents: a belly band is going to be painful to wear around all day. I've tried them and they are just too tight and rubby on the skin.

How about using a good old outside the waistband with a belt, you could put that over sweats. I keep a little light shirt or athletic vest by the door in case I want to open it for anyone and don't want my gun visible.

Also, just go and try them on, you can do this all day long at a shop that sells holsters. Some are picky about putting your gun in them, but there's nothing like getting that thing on the body and twisting and turning.

My wife has started to wear the BB around the house and at work. Hers is the 6 inch wide and she carries a G19 in it. She loves it. It did take us a while to figure out what she was going to do. She hates belts, and likes to sit her purse down and not worry about someone taking it and a firearm. She does not mind things rubbing her skin.
    My daughter likes IWB and OWB and carries in a Coach bag that holds her Glock like it was built for it. I about had a heart attack when she told me she bought a Coach bag, then she said her Glock fit in there perfect. All I could do was smile because I am sure Coach did not intend for it to be used for this. She hates things rubbing her skin.

Thee BB is cheap enough, buy one and see how it works.

Good Luck

I would recommend something like a SmartCarry or one of the clones, works really well in sweats and doesn't require a belt. It's got it's place for certain guns and carry in my opinion and this is one of those times;)

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

For the bodyguard I'd say one of these......however, I might also suggest a larger pistol in a shoulder holster rig.

images.jpg

Check with Pax and Limatunes.

fannypack
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Smart Carry is ideal for this, especially since sweats/etc. will hardly slow draw down at all (unlike if it's worn under tighter fitting clothes like jeans, etc.). If you get the "double" model, you could have a pistol, a magazine, and a flashlight down there.
    phreddy likes this.

Thanks guys!!!

I haven't researched anything of the "Smart Carry" design. How are they for jogging? Do they have a tendancy to flop around or anything? I like that she can put on and remove a holster like that very easily, and access to the gun is definitely faster than on a belly band. I think she may still prefer the additional concealability of the BB, but for the price maybe we'll just try both. Thanks again!

VIP Member

Well when I was married I never holstered mine she ussually walked around by herself but I can see some advantages to the idea of putting her in a holster.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I haven't tried jogging in a Smart Carry, but I think it could work. The amount of flopping might be dependent on the size/weight of the gun. P.S., I would be careful about the Smart Carry "clones." The famous story of a ND in this style holster involved a clone. As with any holster, I would unload my gun, put it in, keep it pointed in a safe direction, and try really hard to pull that trigger through the cloth. I don't think there is any way to do this with my LCR, but I would want to individually check each and every different gun that I wanted to carry this way. I don't know the Bodyguard, but I see it is DAO/hammer-fired. Does that imply a long trigger pull? Because I would be leerier about the Smart Carry with something that has a shorter pull. That might just be me.

Also, one thing about this holster and parents. Because of where it hangs, and because of how, when you have really little children, they often come up to you when you are, say, sitting on the couch and end up standing between your legs (hard to describe, but any parent probably knows what I mean), a gun in a Smart Carry is pointing right at them. I know, a gun in a holster isn't going to go off, but I always found myself shooing my son away and rearranging how I'm sitting. I just couldn't stand to sit there with the barrel of a gun a few inches from his chest, even though it was in a holster I felt was secure. Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

Well when I was married I never holstered mine she ussually walked around by herself but I can see some advantages to the idea of putting her in a holster.
    Hmmm... I like that line of thought.

If I really want to unleash some firepower I suppose I could holster my 7yo boy. Destruction occurs wherever I point him... ;)

I think we will definitely try the namebrand Smart Carry. The BG 380 does have a pretty long trigger pull in my opinion. But we will also try the experiment with the trigger.

Links