Disturbing experience with Remora

This is a discussion on Disturbing experience with Remora within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Both my wife and I have Remora holsters, and up til now we have had no problems with them. Yesterday, I was carrying a Keltec ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Disturbing experience with Remora

Both my wife and I have Remora holsters, and up til now we have had no problems with them. Yesterday, I was carrying a Keltec P32 in appendix crossdraw position. In Walmart, I bent down to get something off a bottom shelf then stood up and turned to walk to the cart. As I did, I realized my jacket was sticking straight out. The holster had completely come out of my pants and was lying on its side on top of my belt held in place by the elastic on the bottom of the jacket. I did a funny little dance getting everything back where it belonged. I half expected store security to accuse me of trying to shoplift something and shove it into my pants, but nothing further happened.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Happy everything turned out ok, that could have become very embarrassing!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Hmmmm do you have a gun in your pocket or.... (you know the rest)
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

So far with my Remora I have had no incidents like this. It will move around some if I move around quite a bit. Like walking then sitting then walking and bending. I find it is easy to nonchalantly readjust it's position if needed. I would expect if I tightened my belt more it would not move much at all but comfort would suffer some as gun would be pressed into me more. I can see where appendix carry might be more prone to this kind of problem than the 3-3:30 that I use. When you sit or bend your lower body might push up on the holster causing it to work it's way up your beltline.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Actually I've had the same sort of experience with my Fobus paddle holster. Sometimes my T-shirt may not be tucked in well leaving it to hook on the paddle and then pull up ejecting it. Guess i need help dressing some days.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Glad nothing bad happened because of it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    That's the bad thing about having nothing but resistance holding it in place, it's just a matter of time before it falls out at the wrong time.

I had a similar experience (not with a Remora) late one night when I used to cc regularly at work...started walking across a street after exiting my vehicle and I hear, clunk...skitter...skitter...skitter...looked down to see my Mak slide to a stop in the middle of the intersection. Thank God no one else was around that time of night! Collected my pistol and adapted my carry technique, and made sure that never happened again, but it gave me quite a start when all I could see was that gun sliding on the asphalt and just praying it wouldn't go off...it didn't.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I had a similar experience with the magazine holder which was above my left rear pocket. It had ridden up from all the stooping and bending unloading my shopping cart at the grocery store but my firearm stayed put. I don't think the clerk saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Both my wife and I have Remora holsters, and up til now we have had no problems with them. Yesterday, I was carrying a Keltec P32 in appendix crossdraw position. In Walmart, I bent down to get something off a bottom shelf then stood up and turned to walk to the cart. As I did, I realized my jacket was sticking straight out. The holster had completely come out of my pants and was lying on its side on top of my belt held in place by the elastic on the bottom of the jacket. I did a funny little dance getting everything back where it belonged. I half expected store security to accuse me of trying to shoplift something and shove it into my pants, but nothing further happened.
    The only surprise here is that we haven't seen this reported sooner and by more people. I bought a clipless holster out of curiosity. I like to place it in crossdraw position when driving but before exiting the car I transfer the gun to a real strongside belt holster and leave the clipless holster for another session of driving. Those clipless holsters can be handy for certain things but in my opinion should not be expected to serve the same purpose as a good belt holster.
    Last edited by wmhawth; November 4th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
    blitzburgh likes this.

The Remora seems to me to create a high chance of dropping your gun in a toilet. I also had a clip on IWB work its way up and off my belt once, fortunately I noticed before it fell.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The only surprise here is that we haven't seen this reported sooner and by more people. I bought a clipless holster out of curiosity. I like to place it in crossdraw position when driving but before exiting the car I transfer the gun to a real strongside belt holster and leave the clipless holster for another session of driving. Those clipless holsters can be handy for certain things but in my opinion should not be expected to serve the same purpose as a good belt holster.
    Concur. If it goes in my waistband, I may as well secure it to a good gun belt. I see no need to try to turn what is essentially a pocket holster into something that it's not well suited for.

I very much appreciate WoodLark's candidness in this thread. Hopefully it will save others from similar or worse mishaps.

I love my Remora holsters but I have to admit there are times when I wish they had loops on them.

I wear my SR9C in a Remora at about 19:30 (i'm a lefty), and it has never moved even a 1/4 inch after hours of sitting, standing, walking, etc. This is with jeans or cargo shorts, with a belt but not tight... and I don't know whether it has any bearing on this situation, but I am pretty slender so there isn't extra pressure on the gun from above or below.

Carry a proper holster, or some day you may wish you were...
    dukalmighty and Philly Boy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links