Ruger P89

This is a discussion on Ruger P89 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Ruger P89 9mm in 1994. Have always considered it a house or truck gun. 32 oz empty I believe. Recently got my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger P89

Ruger P89

I bought a Ruger P89 9mm in 1994. Have always considered it a house or truck gun. 32 oz empty I believe. Recently got my CC permit and have researched on the internet for 2 years about small CC weapons.

Read about every 380 out there, small 9 mm also. Watched almost every you tube review on all these guns. Been to many gun/pawn shops out there and handled them many many times. I never sell anything so I am not quick to buy just anything.

Researched buying a lawn mower for over a year before buying my Scag Tiger Cub for $ 6000.00 . I recently bought a Nylon ( soft material ) BlackHawk pancake OWB 3 slot holster for the P89. Wear it about 4 oclock on right hip. Bought a 5.11 , 1.5 inch leather gun belt . Did not realize how much a difference a good gun belt makes !!!!

Wear a sweatsirt or t- shirt untucked , light vest as a cover garment. I always thought a full size gun could not be carried comfortably. I had narrowed my search down to Kahr pm9/cm9 or a Ruger LCR 38 OR 357.

Still considering adding LCR for front pocket carry in cargo pants. In the 17 yrs I have had the P89 it has never FAILED to fire !!!!!!
    Really wanted a single stack nine at one time but even some of those have issues. Thanks for listening any way one question I have is what would be an advantage in purchasing a leather pancake hoster vs what I have now ???? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Lots of good holsters out there. I have never owned the specific holster you have. I carry in a leather holster because I like leather holsters. I like to carry OWB. Never could get comfortable IWB. So to answer your question, in my opinion, the only advantage of a leather pancake holster is, personal preference.
    The other thing important to me is made in the USA. I believe Blackhawk is made in the USA.
    NRA Life Member

I second that vote for leather. I had a soft nylon holster for my BDM. The gun fell out while I was hiking and got scratched up. That's when I made my own. I have a P89 as well, and it certainly is reliable. I got it from my mother.

i have a p95, another fine ruger "club" and carry it in a galco fletch (owb leather) at 4 oclock, i added suspenders (big belly and no butt) and it carries great, the advantage to leather is it smells AWSOME!!!!!!!, but i think over time the leather will last longer, retain its shape, provides good protection of the weapon, and the retention of a leather holster is pretty dang good, i also have an lcr, pocket carry when i'm wearnin my biboveralls and cargo shorts and here lately ive been using a iwb with a clip and clipping it into my my front pocket on my jeans, works good, just my $1.95 (2 cents, adjusted for inflation)

I owned an old P85 I got from my college roommate. That gun NEVER failed me either......not once in in a dozen years.

It rode in an old nylon sholder rig in the cooler months and a very worn leather pancake (Uncle Mike's....I think) the rest of the time. The sholder rig was much more comfortable only because the gun was so bulkey and heavy.

When the same roommate sold me a Springer 1911 the P85 became the night stand/truck gun for the most part. But it kept a place in my 'line-up' from time to time.

Leather would be the way to go if carried on your belt, although a quality kydex might be just the thing.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have a ruger p90 that splits time with my LCR 357. I have a high noon leather holster IWB for the lcr and a crossbreed supertuck for the p90 also IWB like them both very much its amazing how the p90 dissapears with the supertuck both visibly and comfort wise. The supertuck is leather backed with kydex actually holding the gun id check em out if you havnt already highly recommended

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I think if you can spend $6,000 on a lawnmower, then surely you can spend a few hundred on a decent holster. The holster should outlast the lawnmower.

Money was never the question, thats not a problem. It was simply the differences in nylon and leather. But thanks for the sarcasm .

FWIW, the 985/89/90 platform is just what others in this thread have said: A truck! I own a P90 and it has thousands of rounds through it without a single burp. The thing will shoot absolutely filthy and bone dry. It IS big, but the right leather will make comfortable for all day wear.

I have many other, slicker, newer pistols, and a few that cost better than twice as much.......but the Ruger is nearly indestructible and I always know where it will shoot. hard to beat a rep like that.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

If I go with a leather OWB holster (high ride) would you recommend Galco, Desantis , other brand ?? These seem to be in the $ 40-$ 75 range. Would I be better off spending more and getting a custom fit holster ? Is there a big difference when you jump up to a 100-$150 holster ?

Thanks for your input.

I can't really comment on $150 holsters, as I haven't seen one, but there are lots of good holster makers with great products for less than that.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I like leather better and think I would trust it more than nylon for OWB and the long haul. While I do not have a $100 plus holster, I think the advantage would be thicker leather than regular production models and attention to detail. One day... maybe...

But,

with a P90, it's already a hefty piece, I don't think you would want a real thick piece of leather. Maybe kydex?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I love my Ruger P-89 I bought shortly after I returned to Ft Hood from Desert Storm. I don't Conceal Carry so I don't have to worry about it printing. I perfer Open Carry and it rides daily in a Uncle Mikes Pro-3 duty holster. As others have said, it is drop dead reliable. I regularly shoot USPSA matches with it, feeding it everything from steel case ammo from Monarch to the UMC bulk pack stuff from Walmart. It will digest anything I put in the magazine. I will never sell it.

Leather molded/boned to your pistol, on a good gun belt beats nylon "fits whatever" holsters:

better retention
    holds closer and conceals better
    easier to reholster
    ++ comfort, especially with large gun

YMMV
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

I ordered 2 Black Ops Pros from Pure Kustom. They are not cheap ($175) but they are adjustable to 30 positions for IWB so I can find just the right position and angle then adjust it as needed as my body changes. They are also able to be used OWB so they fill that role as well. I hear all about guys with boxes and drawers full of holsters until they find the "right" one. I figure if I can adjust this one for all future needs and avoid a second holster for OWB I will probably come out ahead. Like you I am not afraid of spending money (my mower is a $6000 Ferris) but will not waste it on buying multiple cheaper options or something that will get me by. Check these out and give Rocky a call he is a great guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links