Dumb Holster Question

This is a discussion on Dumb Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My pants are not big enough to tuck a gun (Kahr CW9) and I am looking for a holster. Does an IWB mean inside of ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tally XD
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By bbqgrill
  • 1 Post By CrowJS

Thread: Dumb Holster Question

Dumb Holster Question

My pants are not big enough to tuck a gun (Kahr CW9) and I am looking for a holster. Does an IWB mean inside of your pants or can you wear outside with the belt running through the holster clip? Suggestions for a holster that would work? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    IWB means "inside waist band". Most of us buy pants one size larger for IWB carry. Many IWB holsters can be worn outside the pants but support may be an issue since you will not be able to get your belt through all of your belt loops. One or more will be hidden behind the holster and cannot be used. Support is a key factor in comfortable and secure carry with any holster. IWB holsters depend on belt tightness to give good retention of the weapon against your body.

Start with a good sturdy dedicated gun belt and choose a holster after some hours of research or test fitting. I researched for a few weeks and decided to buy a CompTac M-Tac Minotaur IWB and have not regretted it since and that was three years ago or more.

Tucker Gun Leather makes nice IWB and OWB holsters as well.

Expect to pay around $80 and up for a quality holster. Custom leather is nice but will set you back a few Benjamins.

Oh, by the way, a Kahr CW9mm is a very slim small gun. I, along with many others here, carry a full size 45acp weapon IWB all the time.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

+1 to what tally said. I carry a full size m&p 45 iwb with a crossbreed holster. Love it!

VIP Member
    You going to carry a gun in Chicago?
    TN_Mike likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You going to carry a gun in Chicago?
    Now that is funny, go to jail go directly to jail, do not pass go.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I just started using a holster from Tommy Theis. I'm able to wear it with my regular pants, both jeans and slacks.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Look at the Comp Tac CTAC, it's about as thin as you can get for an IWB holster and it's rock solid. Being all kydex it is quite a bit thinner than the hybrids of kydex and leather and the all leather holsters. It's also extremely adjustable for both cant and ride height.

Once again, those slacks some of us pudgy folks wear that have the hidden elastic in the waistband can make IWB carry a lot more comfortable.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Tally XD said it first........ get a Good, Quality gun belt FIRST.

I buy all my britches a size bigger now to accomadate an IWB holster IF I wear it.

Take a look in this thread to see a few diffrent holsters and how their worn,,,,,,,,,
    Let's See Your Pic's - How You Carry Concealed.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

There are no "dumb" holsters! Though there may be some that are questionable.
    Sorry, couldn't resist though I probably should have.

First off, move out of Illinois & get a permit to carry so you can CC legally.
    Second, buy new pants.
    Third, get a Minotaur M-TAC...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Sorry, I did mot mean to miscommunicate, I live in Chicago but travel extensively. As much as I would like to, I would not carry illegaly in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowJS View Post
    I just started using a holster from Tommy Theis. I'm able to wear it with my regular pants, both jeans and slacks.
    +1 on Tommy Theis. He makes a very good holster.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

By the way, there are no dumb questions; only people too afraid to ask for fear they might be ridiculed!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

you also may consider a paddle holster. You may conceal under an over coat or jacket. I have a Forbus for my S&W and BlackHawk makes a real nice one as well, very secure. That way you do not need a specail pair of pants. LOL

Links