gym shorts / holster / kahr pm9 or 45

This is a discussion on gym shorts / holster / kahr pm9 or 45 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To some/many, this may be stupid, but in the hot summer, I like wearing gym shorts (usually with elastic waistband and drawstring) with a t-shirt ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zacii
  • 1 Post By bigmacque

Thread: gym shorts / holster / kahr pm9 or 45

To some/many, this may be stupid, but in the hot summer, I like wearing gym shorts (usually with elastic waistband and drawstring) with a t-shirt TUCKED IN!!! If I don't want to 'pocket carry', and I don't like 'blousing' a t-shirt, what would be your IWB holster suggestions? I'll be packin a Kahr PM9 or PM45. Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing your experience. By the way, I'll also wear cargo shorts and jeans with a t-shirt TUCKED IN as well.

A SmartCarry
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    A tucked-in shirt isn't worth the trade-off in speed and ease of accessability for me.

A SmartCarry .... works great!
    Guns Have Only Two Enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Many companys sell a IWB tuck holster
    Hidden Ally

thanks guys....and thanks ironmike. i'm new to ccw and holsters so i think you've put me on to some great ideas and plenty to consider. i'm thinking the hidden ally would do the trick....although i'm not all together sure how it (clip) might work when not wearing a belt such as with gym shorts with only an elastic waistband.

Also check out a Remora No-Clip holster.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I used to wear drawstring gym shorts all the time, especially in the summer here in Florida. But I've since moved on to cargo shorts for almost all weather wear around here, so I can use my Remora in the cargo pocket.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

i was doing a google search and stumbled on what could be a possible solution i'd never considered. put your undershorts and t-shirt on first, then, put on a gun belt (such as the wilderness) over the top of t-shirt, then use a clip-type holster (such as high noon split decision) clipped on the belt. lastly, pull on your gym shorts (elastic waistband) over the top. VOILA, t-shirt tucked in, gym shorts on, gun in holster clipped to belt.....completely covered.

when needing to access you pistol, use off hand to quickly pull up tucked t-shirt and grab your piece. hmmmm, sounds like it could work??? i realize the hassle of having to 'un-tuck' a t-shirt to get at your weapon but c'mon, with an elastic waistband how tough is it?

cj
    The greatest problem (even with something as light as a PM9) in this situation is that you'll usually need a little more support than most elastic waistbands offer. I went hunting for something like this since I usually get to wear either shorts like you describe, or loose sweat pants, most of the day, so I went hunting for something that was self-supporting.

What I found was (as mentioned here) the SmartCarry style...basically a pouch attached to a wide elastic band. This is intended to be worn hanging down the front of your shorts with the gun riding in the crease of your leg when it bends, but shift it to the side (3 or 4 o'clock) and it's a rudimentary IWB holster without much in the way of retention or support.

Another option I looked at (and would still like to try out some day) is the 'PistolWear' line. They look like they bury the pistol more than I'd like, but they seem to be well liked and comfortable.

There's also the 'Tactipac Fusionpac' (or something along those lines) which is a wide elastic band with a big piece of cushiony backing and a kydex form attached. For some reason, they think it's worth $80, and I've heard mixed reviews, but it does offer the self-supporting capability with some of the additional retention offered by kydex.

My personal choice ended up being to take an old Smartcarry-style I had (~$25), use it as a belt, then attach a holster directly to that (Kholster sale for $35)...suddenly I had basically two holster options which, when combined, worked like the FusionPac concept...basically 3 holster setup options for less than one would have cost.

Smartcarry, PT-1 by Pistolwear, or a belly band are my recommendations.

VMP

IMO, Smartcarry is the way to go when wearing gym shorts.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    When I wear sweats I most definitely carry with the Smartcarry. I have a PM9 and MK9 that work great with it, very comfortable and nobody will know... It's also great for dressing up with a shirt tucked it, it's the most concealed option you can have in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Also check out a Remora No-Clip holster.
    +1 for the Remora. I have had mine for a year or so and it works great for my Glock 36 with shorts.
    From a Marine sniper -- "You can run but you will just die tired"
    Semper Fi

Sponsored Links