How much do you trust your clip on holsters?

This is a discussion on How much do you trust your clip on holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know they aren't all made the same, but how much do you trust yours? Personally, I've been carrying my Walther PPS in a custom ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How much do you trust your clip on holsters?

How much do you trust your clip on holsters?

I know they aren't all made the same, but how much do you trust yours? Personally, I've been carrying my Walther PPS in a custom kydex rig with a single molded kydex clip (integral to the holster body). I've recently begun to lose faith in it as it's come out with the gun a couple of times on the draw. This has only happened 3-4 times out of MANY practice draws, but it is in the back of my mind now. If you run a rig with a clip, has this happened to you? Did you begin to mistrust the holster? How many times did it take?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I mistrust clips so much that I never use them.
    Guest1 and tmoore912 like this.

I have had one holster with kydex clips. It broke

No more kydex clips for me

That said, I do have other holsters with metal clips that are tough as steel The clips on the High Noon Holsters would take some serious abuse to break; those things are super tough.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The metal clips on my kingtuk fully. I have one stow and go with a klydex clip I carry a 637 airweigth in with no issues but with a heavier gun probaqbly have to stick with steal clips or good old leather.

I use Kholster and if the clips grabbed something I could probably be hung by them! So I trust them completely. Even on my older ones. My SuperTuck ones were much thinner, and a holster with plastic/kydex clips would never see my collection.

Distinguished Member
    The only clip holster I have is from "thegunstore" bought right after my S&W BG .38 Spec +P - both for the Snubby class at TDI. Shot about 500 rounds there with a lot of draws. It does well for standing around and in the same firing area and drawing.

The clip and holster are fine, per se. It's IWB, but retention of the snubby is the issue. The fit of the gun in the holster isn't a snug fit first time every time and doesn't really give me confidence that it won't fall out of the holster at some point in the real world.

So because I asked the specific question, "Does the holster fit the S&W Bodyguard 38 with integrated laser?" and got an affirmative, I don't recommend thegunstore and the Smith & Wesson 38/ 357 2 " Natural Leather CCW HOLSTER with metal clip that I got for my snubby for $24.95 and free shipping is worth no more than that.

I trust it to answer the door even without a belt, and it holsters the gun by my bed OK.
    Last edited by Pistology; November 15th, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I have faith in metal, but not plastic or kydex. Heck I once when drawing yanked the metal clip into a 90 degree angle, bent it back with some pliers and it still hasn't come out on the draw once.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

drw
    I don't have any clip holsters, I have one clip mag holder with a steel clip and it won't stay on my belt when I try and pull the mag out.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I have only been actively shooting since November of last year.

Even in just that little time, I've been to enough training classes to have seen all sorts of holsters have problems - steel clip? polymer clip? leather loop? it don't matter, it can and will all fail, at some point or another.

Drill for failure.

You do failure drills for when your gun doesn't go bang, right?

Why wouldn't you do the same, for when your gun doesn't come out of the holster "like it should?"

At the beginner level, we're taught what *should* be. We try to ingrain into our muscle memory how a dominant "combat grip" should feel, when our weapon hand lands on the grip, we are taught how to draw and present properly and without the distractions of perhaps street/everyday clothing. We use "range rules" so that we can insure our safety, at that level of practice.

For those of us who seek proficiency in concealed carry, we then take the extra step to train with our carry gun(s), our usual concealment holster, and with our usual everyday dress - be that a T-shirt or a sports-jacket, or maybe your lifestyle uses a fanny-pouch and a tactical/hunting/fishing vest. Certainly, we must still progress through the "beginner" stage here: where we try to make everything as perfect as possible, before we press the trigger to send a round down-range. But at some point, we start training towards reality: what happens if you have some shirt with your grip? at these times, instructors will tell us to play it as it lies, and take the shot (the best as you possibly can) as long as it is safe to do so.

We train towards failure in so many aspects of this that I think it's silly to think that just because our holster is made by brand/maker X or Y or utilizes A or B components that it won't fail. It's just another thing made by man - it can and will fail. Be prepared for it.

Invest in good equipment - not necessarily expensive, but definitely things that are proven. But even then, there's just no telling, and yes, even in my short time here, I've seen "the best" fail. Be prepared.

Clips on the HighNoon holsters are tough. The Holster won't come out. I gotta really try to get the holster off the clip is so tight. Plastic no way

I have one cheap IWB holster from "The Holster Store" that is leather and uses one metal clip to hold it in. This holster is crap, pure and simple. It will come out if I try to draw almost every time. But, my Tommy Theis IWB holster with heavy duty Kydex clips will stay put to the point of being a pain in the butt to take off the belt. I have complete trust in those clips. And if they do wear out as almost everything in life does, I have a set of metal clips that Tommy included in with the holster for no extra charge. So I think I'm covered pretty well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have one 'clip' holster and it's an IWB holster. OWB clip holsters in my opinion are a risk at best. Forget the late night movies...this is the real world, and I don't know of any clip on holsters OWB that would cover you when you need. Seriously.....think better and make the most.

Most of my past Christmas and birthday presents to CC aquaintences were clip-on holsters (both IWB & OWB) that I simply didn't like or trust. I never had a clip break or fully detach from my belt, but there have been many times (during practice draws, riding around in a car, or just doing normal activities) where the clip(s) allowed enough play to totally reposition the holster enough to create a serious draw malfunction (totally unacceptable). I've only kept the "kholster" because its large-area back provides enough surface grip to minimize holster repositioniong during the draw or from stooping/bending/sitting during normal physical activity. Holsters with wide, tight-fitting, completely enclosing (no snap-fasteners) belt loops are the only thing I've found to be acceptable to maintain holster position under all circumstances or events.

Send me your birthdate - I've still got a couple of "clippers" to dump

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I do not own clip on holsters.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

use it with a belt, and shouldnt happen...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links