Quality holster makers?

This is a discussion on Quality holster makers? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be picking up my new gun in a month ot two and was wondering about good quality holsters. I know friends who have drawer ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Quality holster makers?

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Quality holster makers?

I'll be picking up my new gun in a month ot two and was wondering about good quality holsters. I know friends who have drawer full of holsters untill they found what they liked. I have three holster makers in mind and wanted to see if anyone here uses any of them and how they like them.

1) Tucker HF1
    2) Highnoon Holster
    3) Galco

It will be used for a 4" 1911 if that makes any difference. I know two are custom makers and am willing to take the 2-3 months to get them. This will give me more time to practice, practice, and practice some more before I actually carry. The Galco is in stock and I can actually get the holster with the gun makers name stamped into it. Not a need but it's just kinda cool to see that. Overall I want the quality, no ones gonna see it anyway. Thanks for any input folks. It will be an OWB holster.

2. Remove Ads

Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, Comp Tac

MY preferred rig for my full sized 1911 is a High Noon Need for Speed for OWB, or the UBG Canute for IWB. Either one works very well. The I also have a Skin Guard from High Noon, that holds the pistol a little tighter than the NFS. If I had it to do over, I would probably pony up the extra cash for a Slide Guard, but the Skin Guard works well for its uses. High Noon's stocking line is great because it isn't too expensive, and ships fast, but their custom made line has some very nice features.

Either way, they are generally my go-to holster maker, and a great company to deal with.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You should really consider a IWB Crossbreed, I used to be an OWB guy but the Crossbreed Supertuck is so comfortable it is my main rig for my .45 (wintercarry) and .380 (dead heat of summer carry). Great holster plus NRA and Military discounts as well as lifetime guarantee.
    "He that lives upon hope, dies fasting." --Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    These are best I have ever used, and the only ones I wear. He might be able to get you in quicker than you mentioned, since it is for a 1911. High Performance Concealment Systems for the Professional

Milt Sparks basic "Summer Special II" is usually in stock for popular guns (1911, Glocks) at Brownell's. It's a "minimalist" IWB design, but at least for me it's plenty comfortable and conceals well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Milt sparks, haugen leather, Don hume, Grizzle leather, mitch rosen,galco, I have used these craftsmen for Holters that i have
    used myself with confidence.
    Last edited by enigmaone; November 16th, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

+1 on the crossbreed... amazing. i wear it all day and barely notice it with my G19. if im just hanging around the house with sweatpants on it still stays put and distributes the weight evenly. great customer service and military discount ;) just dont forget good belt! thats the most important thing of all.
    Semper Fi

You might as well ask which gun everyone likes! Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldUSMC View Post
    +1 on the crossbreed... amazing. i wear it all day and barely notice it with my G19. if im just hanging around the house with sweatpants on it still stays put and distributes the weight evenly. great customer service and military discount ;) just dont forget good belt! thats the most important thing of all.
    Thanks for the thought of a good belt to go with the holster. I have that taken care of, I ordered the "Wilderness Tactical" belt. My friend who carries uses one and it seems to do the job very well.

VIP Member
    Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. I have Galco's that have ended up in the box or sold. Same for Don Hume, The Holster Store and several others. Got my first BOP and had found the best holster for me. It is comfortable and securely holds my weapons. I have one for each carry weapon in my arsenal. If you can't justify that expense or need something to take for a rainy training weekend, I recommend the Kholster for a budget-priced option.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have used the summer special off of brownells for a 1911.

currently I have a high noon and comptac. the comptac is for my g19 so it is probably much closer to what you need.

where are you in Ohio?
    your welcome to stop by and take a look at the comptac. it may just be what you need.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    You might as well ask which gun everyone likes! Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. I have Galco's that have ended up in the box or sold. Same for Don Hume, The Holster Store and several others. Got my first BOP and had found the best holster for me. It is comfortable and securely holds my weapons. I have one for each carry weapon in my arsenal. If you can't justify that expense or need something to take for a rainy training weekend, I recommend the Kholster for a budget-priced option.
    I'll throw my vote in for a Pure Kustom Black Ops holster as well. I also have a Galco I bought while I was waiting for one of the PK holsters and while it was a decent holster it's just not in the same league as the PK holsters, IMHO. Another lower cost choice would be the hybrid MTAC from Comp-Tac. I find it's very comfortable and wears well. I also have the "slide" model so it will accomodate a full size and compact pistol with the same body (in my case an M&P40 and M&P40C).
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I've got seven Galco holsters for four different pistols (three holsters for the Kimber 1911) so I guess you could say I've got a drawer full. I've been happy with their products so far.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Milt Sparks or Overland Gunleather, both are great!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links