How do you know a new leather 'custom' IWB holster is too loose?

This is a discussion on How do you know a new leather 'custom' IWB holster is too loose? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you know a new leather 'custom' IWB holster is too loose? Need to know some iron clad rules so I can weed through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How do you know a new leather 'custom' IWB holster is too loose?

How do you know a new leather 'custom' IWB holster is too loose?

How do you know a new leather 'custom' IWB holster is too loose? Need to know some iron clad rules so I can weed through any potential maker 'excuses.'

Fitz

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here is one which I assure you will not be too loose, and for which the maker will need to offer no excuses. High Performance Concealment Systems for the Professional

sgb
    When you hold the holster upside down it should still retain the handgun.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'd have to disagree with sgb. Your waistband and gun belt will both add to the retention of the gun in the holster. A snug fit when the weapon is holstered and personal preference is key.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jign4bass View Post
    I'd have to disagree with sgb. Your waistband and gun belt will both add to the retention of the gun in the holster. A snug fit when the weapon is holstered and personal preference is key.
    And I would have to disagree with you. A reliable holster will provide its own retention independently of belt or trouser tension.
    Guest1 and smolck like this.

The gun should sound likes it "clicks' in when inserted. Most well molded holsters need to be broken in with practice draws until it comes out smoothly, yet still clicks in.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    When you hold the holster upside down it should still retain the handgun.
    I agree with this response.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I like a holster that will still retain the gun when held upside down and all of mine do. That's just briefly holding it upside down, not holding it in that position and trying to shake the gun loose. It sounds to me like you already have a holster that you aren't happy with. If that's the case, I would e-mail the manufacturer and see what they say. The response you get will determine what you need to do next. The holster makers that I deal with stand behind their work and do their best to make customers happy.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I like a holster that will still retain the gun when held upside down and all of mine do. That's just briefly holding it upside down, not holding it in that position and trying to shake the gun loose. It sounds to me like you already have a holster that you aren't happy with. If that's the case, I would e-mail the manufacturer and see what they say. The response you get will determine what you need to do next. The holster makers that I deal with stand behind their work and do their best to make customers happy.
    All of mine can be held upside down and shaken without the pistol falling out, yet allow for a very quick and easy presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    All of mine can be held upside down and shaken without the pistol falling out, yet allow for a very quick and easy presentation.
    Most of mine will, but my 39 ounce SIG-220 will shake loose from its favorite holster.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Most of mine will, but my 39 ounce SIG-220 will shake loose from its favorite holster.
    Heck, just rig a sling for it and get yourself a range duster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Heck, just rig a sling for it and get yourself a range duster.
    Probably not a bad idea.

It's too loose when your gun falls out - or if you draw it with your gun.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I carry a 1911 in a tightly fit custom leather IWB holster and it will fall out everytime if I turn it upside down. The thing is, I don't stand on my head at any point during the day. If I did, my belt tension would hold it in place on my hip. You wear a leather rig long enough, remove and reholster enough, and the leather gives a bit. It ain't kydex.

The holster isn't coming out with the pistol when I draw because the metal clip is holding it onto my belt. A quality rig will have a clip or loops designed to keep it in place.

Get what you want. Get a belt that keeps it where you want it. Don't walk on your hands or spin on your head while carrying.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I carry a 1911 in a tightly fit custom leather IWB holster and it will fall out everytime if I turn it upside down. The thing is, I don't stand on my head at any point during the day. If I did, my belt tension would hold it in place on my hip. You wear a leather rig long enough, remove and reholster enough, and the leather gives a bit. It ain't kydex.

The holster isn't coming out with the pistol when I draw because the metal clip is holding it onto my belt. A quality rig will have a clip or loops designed to keep it in place.

Get what you want. Get a belt that keeps it where you want it. Don't walk on your hands or spin on your head while carrying.
    If it fits the pistol tightly, how does the pistol fall out? I don't walk on my hands, either, but I do climb around on and bump up against things during the course of a day, confident in the knowledge that my guns are secure and concealed in well-made and accessable gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links