Options for carrying a second gun

This is a discussion on Options for carrying a second gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Until about 3 weeks ago, my m&p9c went with me everywhere I'd go. Most of the time I'd carry it in a supertuck at 5:00. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for carrying a second gun

Options for carrying a second gun

Until about 3 weeks ago, my m&p9c went with me everywhere I'd go. Most of the time I'd carry it in a supertuck at 5:00. Other times, I'd carry it in a belt slide at 3:00. However, about 3 weeks ago I ran across this beautiful SP101 while visiting local gun shop, so I picked it up along with a phaetos holster and matching gun belt from UBG. Since it is cool this time of year here in NW AR, I've been carrying the SP101 in the UBG setup almost exclusively as the lower riding holster is extremely comfortable and conceals excellently under a light jacket. However, I've decided that i'd like to have another firearm on me when carrying the SP101 for several different reasons....capacity, accessible from other angles/scenarios, etc.

I have tried carrying the m&p in the supertuck in the 5:00 position, and the SP101 in the phaetos around 3:00, but this puts both guns only accessible via strong side draw which is in my opinion less than optimal. So, I'm looking for something to perhaps move the m&p to an appendix carry position, or perhaps even under my left arm. I briefly considered an ankle holster for the SP101, but it isn't the lightest snubby in the world, so I'm not sure that it would be very well suited to ankle carry. Likewise, i've grown to be a little bit on the "thick in the middle" side of physicality lately, and until I get myself worked back into shape, I don't see ankle deployment as a viable scenario for me anyway.

I'm considering buying another smaller firearm for BUG duty, and if I can't work out something with the m&p and the sp101, that's what I'll have to do. However, I'd like to evaluate whatever options you all might be able to throw into the hat for my current options before buying a dedicated BUG.

Thanks for any advice you're willing to share!

2. Remove Ads

you might give the SP101 a try in a good ankle holster. An ankle holster takes some getting used to, but if you are dedicated to making it work you'll soon get over the feeling that a small alien is attached to your leg. Quality of the ankle holster is of utmost importance. I use an Desantis Apache Ankle Rig, and it has worked well for me. There are other very good ones.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I use a mirror set-up with a lefty holster.

The 101 seemed a bit heavy to me for ankle... try the rig Zonker mentioned with a scandium j-frame (ie: S&W 340 or 360)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    ...And then run like you're chasing after someone who just snatched your kid and see how much you like that ankle holster.

'Sorry - whec's not an ankle-holster fan. 'Just something to think about.

I usually pocket-carry a snubbie or LCP when choosing a backup. Mirroring would work well too.

About halfway down the page; the "New York reload holster"...

BELL CHARTER OAK CUSTOM HOLSTERS PANCAKE STYLES (607) 783-2483

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these for a couple of months now. It would be a PITA for every day carry, but just the thing for those special occasions; like a zombie infestation, TEOTWAWKI, The Revolution... stuff like that...

Can't beat an AirWeight J frame in the off-side pocket.

Here's another option: Covert Badger Reload

OWB Holsters « Desbiens Gun Leather

A pal had one of these made for a G19 magazine and a J frame. Nice product, but it ended up being too bulky- for him. I looked at it, and decided it wouldn't work for me, either.

Lots of options out there; I was a trooper for 30 years, and always carried a BUG. Ankle holster at first, then a vest holster when we began wearing body armor. That was in uniform. Street clothes is a bit more limiting. Its been said much, and many folks don't want to hear it... but if you're serious about carrying, you have to alter your "dress code" to dress around the iron.

I've tried just about everything, from bellybands to crotch holsters. I even tried a couple of examples of shoulder holster; those didn't work for me either, with the exception of Null's City Slicker as a "deep cover" BUG rig under all my SWAT crap. You have to find what's best for YOU. That means taking the time- and spending the coin- to try different stuff.

There is no "best way". We're all different, in many ways.

As with LSP972 I carried a back up gun as a LEO. First in a off side pocket then in a vest holster. You may want to look at the Kramer undershirt garmet. Used them and really like them, even in hot weather.

I say go shoulder holster for the 9c. It is too heavy to carry on your ankle. I have one, it is my EDC. Tried ankle, without MC Hammer pants, it prints anyways.

well, it appears as if the concerns i've had with different modes of carry are concerns that several others have had or dealt with as well. I have no major problems with altering my wardrobe around the firearms that I'm carrying on a given day. My job and lifestyle place no strict limitations or requirements on the clothing that I wear. I may give in and try out the ankle holster and some variety of shoulder rig as well to see how that works out. With highnoon having a couple of suitable appendix carry holsters on sale, I might try a left side appendix carry rig in conjunction with a strong side OWB rig as well.

One of these options should work out to be reasonably manageable.

thanks for the input

Have you ever considered a Smartcarry holster? I find them very comfortable, my PM9, MK9 and S&W 642 disappear in one. Others carry full size 1911's as well, although I can't imagine doing so myself.

I will take a look into the smartcarry. I'm somewhat familiar with it, so I'll do some more homework on it and see how it would potentially fit the ticket.

The 5.11 Tactical Holster shirts are the perfect option, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldiernurse View Post
    The 5.11 Tactical Holster shirts are the perfect option, IMO.
    Have you ever used one?

p3at/lcp pocket carry with some potent hardcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links