Carrying in a fanny pack, question

This is a discussion on Carrying in a fanny pack, question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I recently purchased a Blackhawk concealed carry fanny pack. It has an area close to the body for the gun (9mm SR9) that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carrying in a fanny pack, question

OK, so I recently purchased a Blackhawk concealed carry fanny pack. It has an area close to the body for the gun (9mm SR9) that is closed by velcro. It has an outer part where you can keep a wallet, keys, spare mag., etc. It slips onto a belt through hoops in the back of the pack, looks good and is comfortable, closes with a zipper on top. There is no holster inside, the gun just sits in there and there is not enough room for a holster. Question is should I carry it with a round in the chamber, safety on or off? Or should I keep it in there without a round in the chamber, safety off? I feel most comfortable without a round in the chamber because there is nothing to stop the keys, etc. from somehow getting in the trigger area, even if the safety is on, it could somehow get clicked off during the day. I unzipped, pulled the gun and chambered a round in about five to six seconds. Am I being paranoid? Just looking for some feedback from fanny pack users. Thanks

VIP Member
    About 10 years back when I first started Fanny Packs were in and they seemed like a good idea for
    civilian carry especially in hot climates. It didn't take long to figure out this really wasn't a good solution.

One of several Fanny packs I bought was like your, no holster. Bleh.

Funny, nowadays I often carry a purse--literally just a black one identical to one my wife bought for herself but it does not look too weird when I carry it. Well, gun goes in my pocket and other junk (old guys need a portable pharmacy) goes in the purse.

YMMV.
    kwoodford likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by mbell1968 View Post
    There is no holster inside, the gun just sits in there and there is not enough room for a holster. Question is should I carry it with a round in the chamber, safety on or off? Or should I keep it in there without a round in the chamber, safety off? I feel most comfortable without a round in the chamber because there is nothing to stop the keys, etc. from somehow getting in the trigger area, even if the safety is on, it could somehow get clicked off during the day. I unzipped, pulled the gun and chambered a round in about five to six seconds.
    - There are dozens of chambered/unchambered arguments in this forum. I'm in the camp that always carries a loaded gun. It's not just about the length of time it takes to pull the gun and rack the slide, it's also about your ability to do it. Think about these scenarios.

• On your back with an attacker on top of you
    • Fending off an attacker with one hand
    • Injured arm/hand
    • Poor rack, resulting in a misfeed/jam

Someone with more experience with fanny packs can probably give you more pointers. I'm not a fan of them at all from a carry perspective... or a fashion perspective.
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I wouldn't put anything in the same compartment with the gun. I would carry it with a round in the chamber as long as it has something that's holding the gun in place so it can't move around. I have a fanny and it has a stretchy strip in place...you slide the gun partially through it and the strip is wide enough that it actually conceals the trigger. I personally wouldn't place my gun in anything that wouldn't firmly hold it in place and if your fanny doesn't have anything to hold it firmly in place, I wouldn't use it.

I hope all of this makes sense and I didn't misunderstand your situation.

Take care,
    DCG

If it were me I would carry a revolver in the fanny pack, 5 seconds can be an eternity, if someone is coming at you. Invest in a GOOD concealed carry holster for the auto, and I am not giving out holster makers or names as there are so many. Do your research, but i would definatly look into a nice lightweight revolver for the fanny pack. Course I will get hammered by the auto guys for this, lol, but bottom line, if your not comfortable carrying the concealed gun ready for action, dont do it.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Ditch the fanny pack for something better, i.e. Underarmor type holsters that have built in holster, belly band, etc.

- Fanny packs lock your weapon away from your reach if you are attacked and pinned down.
    - Fanny packs can be quickly ripped from your body and you lose your weapon
    - Chances of a negligent discharge is higher while drawing from a fanny pack
    - Fanny packs do not cover the trigger
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Ditch the fanny pack for something better, i.e. Underarmor type holsters that have built in holster, belly band, etc.

- Fanny packs lock your weapon away from your reach if you are attacked and pinned down.
    - Fanny packs can be quickly ripped from your body and you lose your weapon
    - Chances of a negligent discharge is higher while drawing from a fanny pack
    - Fanny packs do not cover the trigger
    I agree with you on these downsides, especially the trigger not being covered and negligent discharge while drawing. But if I don't have a round chambered, then it is not a problem, no way the gun can go off. I guess 5 seconds is too long for most people to draw and chamber but how long does it take from a holster, probably 2-3 seconds. I do have a Don Hume IWB holster but was looking for other carry options. Having a round chambered with the safety on is probably OK as well as long as I keep the gun in its own compartment. The gun fits tight enough that it doesn't move around at all. Thanks for the feedback.

VIP Member
    Time is critical. There's a baseball bat attack thread running here elsewhere. I've been playing around with that scenario and the choice of gun v other (H2H) responses to psychobubba swinging a bat.

It gets pretty crazy even in the gym as simulation. You don't have 5 seconds to retrieve the gun. You might not have 2 seconds to get it out and use it.

Same with non-lethal; pepper. If you have to fish around in your pocket for the cylinder, the game is over.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Mine has a holster in that section, and is adjustable as to the angle by velcro straps that stick to it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell1968 View Post
    I agree with you on these downsides, especially the trigger not being covered and negligent discharge while drawing. But if I don't have a round chambered, then it is not a problem, . . .
    Not having a round chambered is a problem, no matter what.

That first chambered round might be the only one you manage to get into the chamber.

Carry the gun safely, chambered and ready to go.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    "I unzipped, pulled the gun and chambered a round in about five to six seconds."

In my opinion that is "far and away" too much elapsed time to get your self-defensive firearm into action and presented onto a deadly threat.
    Actually it's NOT just my opinion and many others will be of the same opinion.
    You will need to shop around for a more effective and quicker mode of carry.

That does not mean that you've wasted the money that you spent on that fanny pack.
    Just find an alternate use for it...because the reality is that it's not working for your intended self-defense purpose/function.

It is very much too slow by full seconds and there is too much potential "flub and fumble" involved when your world is about to change in what could be a single instant.

The firearm that you cannot get onto the threat quickly enough to save your bacon is exactly as useful as if you left it at home.

In fact it's worse because you'll end up wearing a toe tag and the perp gets a free fully loaded firearm (yours) to use on the next innocent victim.

I use a fanny pack, similar to your's, as a last choice for carry. It came with a velcro holder which I quickly determined was woefully inadequate/unsafe since I carry an XDSC chambered. It did not cover the trigger. I bought a blackhawk serpa holster for it. I removed the paddle part. In the pack, I made 3 tiny holes in the back of the gun compartment using the screw positions of the holster as a guide so the gun would rest strategically. The screws are installed from the outside back. Once the holster was securely screwed into the gun compartment, I was able to practice drawing from it. I feel very safe as far as securing the gun against AD and I feel very safe that I can draw from it for PD. I'll post pictures for you this AM.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

I have the same belt pack(not fanny pack) you do and here's how and why I carry it.
    I work on and around machinery so I'm always bending over and crawling under things
    so a gun in a holster will not work for me ,it will print or my shirt will ride up over the gun.:(

You said your pack has two parts inside ,one inter and one outer,right?
    I found a man that make leather belts and holsters and bought a peice of thick leather the overall
    size of the pack.
    I then cut it the same oval size as the pack and put it in the outer "area" as you called it and
    sewed it shut with a needle and black thread.Then I took off the cheap pull cords and put a
    nice leather one with a knot in the end on only the zipper that I use(so I cannot grab the wrong
    one if need to open it fast).
    Now the pack is just like a holster in that the trigger is always covered by thick leather and cannot be poked or jabbed by fingers or sharp objects from the outside.
    This lets me keep a round in the chamber ready to fire.

It will always be slower than a good holster,1.0 to 1.5 sec. slower because it as one extra step to get the gun out,
    pulling the zipper, but for me its a gun in a pack or no gun at all while at work.
    I do carry in a holster on weekends when I'm not at work because as others have said its just faster getting the gun into action
    hope this helps.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Do your research, but i would definatly look into a nice lightweight revolver for the fanny pack. Course I will get hammered by the auto guys for this, lol, but bottom line, if your not comfortable carrying the concealed gun ready for action, dont do it.
    BEST ADVICE. If you think there might be a problem carrying a loaded semi-auto because of the trigger, look into a J-frame/Airweight style revolver. While I am personally not a huge fan of them- I tried a J-Frame once and it nearly broke a finger because my hands are WAY too big for it- it is better than carrying a gun you're not comfortable with.

I just tested my 'new' 1911 yesterday, and now I carry it. I honestly had a little bit of a concern carrying 'cocked and locked' until I got the gun home after buying it and 'played' with it a bit. Once I got a little more used to the idea of carrying one cocked (my Taurus has a decocker- gotta love that striker fire DA/SA) I am now perfectly comfortable, and can't understand why ANYONE would carry a weapon with an external hammer not cocked.

So, best thing I can tell you to do, is maybe get some Snap Caps and see how it works. Maybe load up with the Snap Caps, put your gun in the fanny pack and do some drills; maybe get your wife to 'advance aggressively' from around a corner and see how quickly you can draw and rack before she gets within arms reach. Then, put the gun back in the pack, and maybe do a little 'exercising'. Some jumping jacks, sit-ups, and other things that would really jostle the gun about in a fanny pack and see if the safety gets turned off (With the gun unloaded/loaded w/Snap Caps of course).

Just a few ideas. But, I personally think that there are better carry alternatives/weapons to carry in a fanny pack. (Which, although I have NO fashion sense at all- as my wife often picks on me about it- I would have to recommend not wearing a fanny pack. Especially if you have children. They might run away. )
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Here are my pictures as promised:
    I know you said that it is too small for a holster but I thought that maybe a stripped of it's mount holster would do the trick. You have much good advice on this thread.
    Stay safe.
    Paula
    Attached Images
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links