What to look for in an IWB holster

This is a discussion on What to look for in an IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not too much to add. An IWB has to be comfortable to wear and not move around. It's not just the holster, but a system; ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What to look for in an IWB holster

Not too much to add. An IWB has to be comfortable to wear and not move around. It's not just the holster, but a system; holster and belt. The belt/holster system has to fit. I have two IWB's that I use: a Tommy Theis for my Kahr CW9 and one from Andrews Custom Leather for my Sig P239 .40.

2. Remove Ads

Great input from all. As for me, after going through several holsters and spending a small fortune on lots of different ones, my G36 rides in style in a Comp-Tac MTAC holster every day. I just ordered a second one on sale for backup/extra (and because I just wanted to have the version with black leather too). Can't beat Comp-tac's service and responsiveness either.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

VIP Member
    Great choice on the carry gun. As for the holster, there is only one I recommend based upon my personal experience, the Brommeland Max-Con V iwb holster carried on either a Brommeland custom leather belt or a Wilderness Instructor tactical belt. Here are the things I like about Brommeland holsters.
    The all-leather, rigid yet comfortable construction eliminates the need for metal reinforcement at the mouth, but ensures years of reliable, durable performance.
    The narrower leather belt loops are more comfortable, concealable, and secure than steel or kydex clips.
    The ergonomic design allows the holster to fit comfortably against the body, and to gradually mold itself to the individual user.
    The wide, snow-shoe design allows for great weight distribution and easy concealability. No bricks.
    The holsters are self-retentive, yet allow for an easy, smooth draw.

I can easily and comfortably mirror carry pistols ranging in size from my PM9 to Glock 17 with these holsters. They conceal easily under size-larger clothing, right down to t-shirts and shorts. Brommeland products can be viewed here Holsters Concealment Systems Gunleather Concealed Carry for Weapons, and Gary is helpful and informative should you have questions to ask him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Well, in my opinion you want the following:

- Well molded kydex or leather holster fitted properly to YOUR gun of choice.
    - Quality stitching of the leather.
    - Double lined backing and even horsehide inner liner for comfort
    - Enough space between the clips to spread the weight of the gun over more distance
    - Quality clips that are secure to the belt and have good life span without cracking
    - Cant settings for optimum position of gun grip
    - High ride and tight fit to body
    - Good trigger coverage and good coverage of the muzzle tip (not combat cut)
    - from a company that will stand behind their product

- (Added later) If choosing leather make sure it has a reinforced lip for easy reholstering
    I believe Tally XD summed it up pretty good, I have a custom made invisi-tuck,The American Holster Company for my Glock 19, very comfortable and excellent quality.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

VIP Member
    I carry the same pistol you have in a De Santis cozy partner.
    Feels great.
    Dos not adjust for cant. it is fixed but feels great.
    Mine is black, and LH.
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I also look for a holster that has two anchor points...wide apart for stability and security.

I'm a fan of UBG Holsters
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I've been through many holsters from cheap to expensive ($160). SHTFgear meets all the criteria. So well, I have them for 3 different guns. And they don't break the bank at a reasonable mid price. To top it off, they are a forum sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cremator75 View Post
    I've been through many holsters from cheap to expensive ($160). SHTFgear meets all the criteria. So well, I have them for 3 different guns. And they don't break the bank at a reasonable mid price. To top it off, they are a forum sponsor.
    I too chose the SHTFgear IWB holster cuz it met my criteria. I looked at half a dozen or so other IWB of the same style and settling on the ACE1.

Reasons: Combat cut without extra money, IMO kevlar stitching is a plus, back was high enough to keep any metal of the gun from touching me (I carry a polymer framed SR40c), slim as can be using a single piece of leather backing with a single piece of molded kydex.

Not saying other IWB didn't have these features, or that these things are important to everyone, YMMV, etc etc. Just that SHTFgear met all of MY criteria. The only thing I would like to change is there is a bend at the base of the clip just above the screw. That bend makes it harder for my stubby fingers to get under the clips to pull them away from the holster to put on/take off my belt. I have noticed it on several other brands so there must be a reason it is there that I just don't know about.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by shotmaster View Post
    Roadkill (above) commented, “Old School, how do you sit down in a car?” and I totally agree. This is where most of our time is spent throughout our normal day. It’s why so many people have a “box full of holsters”. Each of us has different individual preferences, but all of us will agree that sitting Comfort and Concealment are extremely important. A person needs to recognize that he also needs to buy larger size trousers for the IWB type holster. I wear a Stealth Defense Strut Holster which is an IWB that rides above the belt for maximum sitting comfort plus no need to buy larger trousers.

This is what we do, it may help you out also. .
    Questions

Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I've posted this a number of times but this is my rig for IWB carry. Milt Sparks VM II
    Attached Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    Old School, how do you sit down in a car?
    I sit on my .......... I really have no problems.

I do a very slight muzzle forward cant when seated that allows the holster to ride in the crease of my right leg.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    I've posted this a number of times but this is my rig for IWB carry. Milt Sparks VM II
    Thats a 2:30-- 3 position you will not have problems sticking you. CP 3,4,5

The 12 to 2 when sitting may bother some people with long barreled guns. CP 10,11,12,1,2,3,4

I linked the clock positions in case someone may not follow the conversation.
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I carry at a 2:45-3:00 position with a Glock 26, there is no problem while seated.

Quote Originally Posted by BitReaver View Post
    The only thing I would like to change is there is a bend at the base of the clip just above the screw. That bend makes it harder for my stubby fingers to get under the clips to pull them away from the holster to put on/take off my belt. I have noticed it on several other brands so there must be a reason it is there that I just don't know about.

Mike
    SHTFgear now has leather loops on sale for the Ace holsters for like $5 to your door. You could try those out. I think the point of the extra bend is just for extra retention on your belt. It is harder to get off, but in a way, I like that about them.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    I'm not looking for specific brand/model recommendations (although that would be welcome) but am interested in hearing opinions about what to look for in an IWB. I'm sure it varies based on body shape, size, handgun, etc. but trying to get some good rules of thumb before I go shopping. I currently carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm compact OWB.
    Here's an evaluation that I did a while back where I noted the criteria which are important to me when it comes to holsters for my M&P 40c. Product Evaluation of Personal Security Systems - Pancake Kydex Holster

I will be doing another eval on a new and (hopefully) improved version of the same holster from Personal Security Systems Kydex Holsters
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links