Looking for a small of the back holster for my Sig P220 Compact

This is a discussion on Looking for a small of the back holster for my Sig P220 Compact within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Does anybody know of anyone who makes good quality leather holster that makes a small of the back holster that would fit my Sig ...

Thread: Looking for a small of the back holster for my Sig P220 Compact

Looking for a small of the back holster for my Sig P220 Compact

Hello,

Does anybody know of anyone who makes good quality leather holster that makes a small of the back holster that would fit my Sig P220 Compact. It has the same length barrel as the P220 Carry so anything that's made for the Carry would fit it as well.
    Ideally it would be hand boned leather and in a tan color or brownish not like a cordova reddish brown.
    I realize this is probably putting a fine point on my request but I figured with so many forum members somebody has to know of a holster that would fit the bill.

Thanks for reading my post and have a great day.

2. Remove Ads

I have several of these for several different firearms...a palm out draw.
    You'll begin to see those flames from some critics. When I do use such a holster it's over my kidney and not my spine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was watching a video the other day with Mas Ayoob. I found it interesting because he was talking about different places to wear your gun. The one thing that was an eye opener to me was he reached back behind himself to simulate the SOB draw stroke and stopped and said "I just put myself in an arm bar, is that a smart thing to do". Try it and see.

That said you didn't say IWB or OWB. But either way a lot of guys I know use a left hand straight drop (no cant) holster for that. It is considered "palm out" or "calvary draw". Horrible place for a gun IMO, but that might get you started.

Thank you both for your honest and objective replies. I know this isn't the best place to carry due to spinal injury possibilities etc but for summer carry with maximum concealability for me this is an option I'm thinking quite strongly about. The Sig is rather large and the clothing would be for warm weather, not alot to work with for me. I reallllllly don't like the uncomfortablity of IWB style holsters.

Thank you again.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I carry either a P229 or a P239 SOB everyday and have done so for many years.

I'm right handed and use a left handed IWB holster with a palm out draw. You'll get flamers on this but it works quite effective for me.

I've busted my butt several times over the years and never landed on the gun. Maybe I'm part cat but I always seem to land on my hip.

RETSUPT99:
    What makers do you use for your palm out draw style SOB holsters?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I purchased an OWB Bodyguard from DM Bullard for my Combat Elite. It may be what you are looking for; very radical cant, sweat shield, (a requirement for me on any holster), I carry with it around 5-5:30, but it would work at 6. I found it to be a quality holster, tightly boned for the Colt and well fitted. The price was surprisingly low for a custom holster and Mr. Bullard has a lot of models in stock on his website. I received the holster in four or five days.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Here is a pic of the Bodyguard with my Colt Combat Elite.

DSC00777.jpg

Please, do some more investigation before you really carry at SOB. I've read some horror stories about people--often policeman--falling on their guns or even handcuffs--and suffering serious spine injuries and even paralysis. Seems like Even Marshall over at stoppingpower.net had an article about it. Or maybe it was officer.com. In any case, it was scary enough for me to rule it out.
    Bill
    "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious."-Paul Harvey, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by 2_Rastas View Post
    RETSUPT99:
    What makers do you use for your palm out draw style SOB holsters?
    Fist
    This one...
    FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Try eBay for don Hume holsters

Agree with Sailorman. I have a Don Hume SOB holster for my Glock 26 (carry like RetSupt99) and its very well made for the price. Not a big fan of SOB holsters unless you move them way off the spine.....reholstering is a real pain.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Well, I'm rethinking my descision now in light of all the opinions.
    I was planning on carrying it under the kidney, but Zonker1986 does have a valid point on the re-holstering. I don't want to do anything that would be unsafe and it sounds like it would be.
    Thanks for the honest opinions sans the flaming on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2_Rastas View Post
    Hello,

Does anybody know of anyone who makes good quality leather holster that makes a small of the back holster that would fit my Sig P220 Compact. It has the same length barrel as the P220 Carry so anything that's made for the Carry would fit it as well.
    Ideally it would be hand boned leather and in a tan color or brownish not like a cordova reddish brown.
    I realize this is probably putting a fine point on my request but I figured with so many forum members somebody has to know of a holster that would fit the bill.

Thanks for reading my post and have a great day.
    I bought one from jrcholster a couple of months ago and it is superb. It hasn't quite replaced my shoulder holster, but if I am going to carry on my belt, this is the holster I go to and it is getting a lot of use. I strongly urge you or anyone wishing for an SOB holster to look into this holster (by the way, it really isn't a small of the back holster. It carries real well off to the side in a 4:30 position.

Links