Could Use Opinions On Shoulder Holsters/CC Plan for the office

This is a discussion on Could Use Opinions On Shoulder Holsters/CC Plan for the office within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could use additional opinions on choice of shoulder holster for CC under tucked-in sports/dress shirts. Although I respect all opinions, let's not waste bandwidth ...

Thread: Could Use Opinions On Shoulder Holsters/CC Plan for the office

Could Use Opinions On Shoulder Holsters/CC Plan for the office

I could use additional opinions on choice of shoulder holster for CC under tucked-in sports/dress shirts.

Although I respect all opinions, let's not waste bandwidth debating the GIVENS:

Weapon is a Sig P238 .380 cal. Single action 1911 style pistol;
    Shirts are oversized, patterned and altered for easy access to shoulder holster with fake buttons;
    I'm 5'11 tall and weight 359 lbs, wear suspenders and no belt for medical reasons and am right-handed;
    I have arthritic thumb joints and right shoulder joint;
    Most of my work day is sitting at an office desk doing professional work;
    I've been training regularly with the pistol for 5 months and have previous military experience with the 1911 model pistol;
    From experimentation I've determined that, for me, shoulder carry is the only place that's comfortable, accessible, concealed, secure, easily mounted and dismounted.

I've narrowed my choices of shoulder holster products down to two:

ULTRA CARRY Single Strap Concealed Carry Holster
    Concealed Carry Holster | ULTRA CARRY Single Strap

Stoner Concealed Carry Shoulder Holster
    Stoner Concealed Carry Shoulder Holster [S-Shoulder] - $44.95 : Stoner Holsters, The Right Holster for Your Gun

Any comments you can offer on either/both of these two products?
    Any other SIMILAR products I should consider? Please don't suggest waist band holsters.
    Any other details or advice on my CC plan, remembering the GIVENS?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

I am not personally familiar with either of the two holsters you favor, but here are some observations based on experience that may help:

I have a Kangaroo Carry holster. The ULTRA CARRY appears very similar. It is a good holster and works well EXCEPT for the velcro strap over the but of the gun. This is difficult to release if you need to draw quickly. If the strap is not in place and you lean over, the gun WILL fall out (I know this from personal experience).

I hadn't seen the Stoner holster before, but it appears similar to a bellyband. Bellybands without any shoulder strap have a tendency to slide downward from the weight of the gun.

Good luck in your search, and let us know how it goes.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I am not personally familiar with either of the two holsters you favor, but here are some observations based on experience that may help:

I have a Kangaroo Carry holster. The ULTRA CARRY appears very similar. It is a good holster and works well EXCEPT for the velcro strap over the but of the gun. This is difficult to release if you need to draw quickly. If the strap is not in place and you lean over, the gun WILL fall out (I know this from personal experience).

I hadn't seen the Stoner holster before, but it appears similar to a bellyband. Bellybands without any shoulder strap have a tendency to slide downward from the weight of the gun.

Good luck in your search, and let us know how it goes.
    Very, very good points, WoodLark. Thanks for those. I'll report back on the final setup.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Just my personal opinion.
    For the low $30 to $40 prices you could try them but, my "best guess" - I don't think you're going to be happy with either of those two choices for all day carry under a shirt.

Wrap an ACE bandage around your middle all day on a Sunday and if you can't stand that then you'll not like either of those two choices for all day carry.

Of the two the only one I've actually tried (first hand) was the ULTRA carry and there twernt nuthin' Ultra about it.

I would go with a 100% Cotton comfortable undershirt & an ALESSI BodyGuard shoulder holster worn between the undershirt and your dress shirt.

If you locate the shoulder rig just under your armpit and fill the reverse side mag holders with 2 full spare magazines as a counter balance then you won't need to use any tie-downs. Which is a good thing since you're not wearing a belt.

The ALESSI harness is wide enough and supple enough (over the shoulder) that you'll be comfortable wearing it all day especially with a firearm that light in weight.

The only "down" side I could imagine would be that a brown leather shoulder rig harness might be slightly visible under a light white dress shirt.

I really don't think many average ordinary folks would notice though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QKShooter caused me to have an additional thought. Ken Null makes an inverted shoulder holster that should work well under a shirt. He even offers it in white for under a white shirt. You would have to check with him to see if he can make it for your pistol.

I used to (and sometimes still do) carry a snubby revolver in an inverted shoulder holster, the Bianchi 9R. This was very concealable and very easy to draw from. Unfortunely, the Bianchi is brown leather which might show through the shirt and was only made for revolvers.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    QKShooter caused me to have an additional thought. Ken Null makes an inverted shoulder holster that should work well under a shirt. He even offers it in white for under a white shirt. You would have to check with him to see if he can make it for your pistol.

I used to (and sometimes still do) carry a snubby revolver in an inverted shoulder holster, the Bianchi 9R. This was very concealable and very easy to draw from. Unfortunely, the Bianchi is brown leather which might show through the shirt and was only made for revolvers.
    Thanks for the Null suggestion. I check his holsters and they're nice. But the one in white has a large warning to not use it with a single action pistol in condition 1. That pretty much makes it useless for me.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would go with a 100% Cotton comfortable undershirt & an ALESSI BodyGuard shoulder holster worn between the undershirt and your dress shirt.

If you locate the shoulder rig just under your armpit and fill the reverse side mag holders with 2 full spare magazines as a counter balance then you won't need to use any tie-downs. Which is a good thing since you're not wearing a belt.

The ALESSI harness is wide enough and supple enough (over the shoulder) that you'll be comfortable wearing it all day especially with a firearm that light in weight.

The only "down" side I could imagine would be that a brown leather shoulder rig harness might be slightly visible under a light white dress shirt.

I really don't think many average ordinary folks would notice though.
    I'll take a looksee at the Alessi; who knows, maybe it could be ordered in white or at least unfinished so I can have it finished in a light color locally. If not, can you "un-finish" a leather harness? Never thought about that. Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinLawyer View Post
    Thanks for the Null suggestion. I check his holsters and they're nice. But the one in white has a large warning to not use it with a single action pistol in condition 1. That pretty much makes it useless for me.
    Consider the USH:
    K.L. Null Holster Ltd. - Holsters
    It's got a thumb-break/snap in place of the trigger guard snap that the SMZ has. I have carried a 4" K-frame under a dress shirt with an SMZ. There's a thread with pictures around here somewhere.
    Null ships out his polymer holsters very, very fast, FWIW. Great guy.

P.S. You might want to look at the Galco Executive, too. Also a great shoulder holster.

Links