Carry at Home - Page 2

Carry at Home

This is a discussion on Carry at Home within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by FAS1 I usually pocket carry in cargo shorts around the house. I feel like it is sufficient since there are other options ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carry at Home

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I usually pocket carry in cargo shorts around the house. I feel like it is sufficient since there are other options near by and quickly accessible but secure. HD handgun is in handgun safe mounted to my bed frame and shotgun loaded in RSC if needed.
    +1 for a pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Azchief View Post
    you could always do a 5.11 or wilderness type belt with your iwb holster and then just wear your shorts over it.
    This, with IWB or OWB type holster.

I have to agree...gun proof the kids. But I also know that kids bring friends home. It's a tough choice but I raised 3 daughters and always hade a few guns around the house. Maybe I got lucky or did something right with my children I don't know. I do believe in having a gun available at all times is very important.

VIP Member
    If I am wearing lounge wear, I will use a High Noon Undertaker shoulder holster and cover it with a zippered sweatshirt.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Belly band, SmartCarry or maybe a Remora....I carry at home.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    I typically wear gym shorts or sweat pants.
    Suggestions?
    1. Shorts ; belly band and even at times wear a nylon gun belt under the shorts to hold the gun/holster, it's quite comfortable.
    2. Sweat pants; same as shorts, and /or pocket carry.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I'm going to give the smartcarry a try. I've tried pocket carry with an unloaded gun (thinking I would get a remora in the future) and my M&P9c is too heavy and drags my shorts down too much.

And I do want to make a comment on the issue of the kids. My kids have definitely been trained properly. I have adopted the suggestions of Ayoob that he outlined in "In the Gravest Extreme". I am confident that my kids wouldn't touch any of my firearms without my permission. But the fact of the matter is that I believe it would be irresponsible to rely upon that. As an example, my kids also know that they are not to touch my iPhone without my permission. But I can think of more than one occassion where my 4-yr-old came up to me with iPhone in-hand and said "Daddy, here's your phone, you left it in the kitchen." The last thing I would need is for me to hear "Daddy, here is your gun, you left it next to your chair."

Probably not a great example because my kids definitely know that the guns are in a totally different category than the phone. But I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Doc
    basher052 likes this.

Doc, I carry at home using IWB, OWB and a belly band. I have to agree with your approach to teaching your kids and your stance. If the firearm is not on my person, its in a safe locked down. I can control my kids, but their friends are another story.

Galco Miami Classic or Classic Lite. Shoulder holsters are nice to use around the house. Expensive, but worth it IMO.

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I'm going to give the smartcarry a try. I've tried pocket carry with an unloaded gun (thinking I would get a remora in the future) and my M&P9c is too heavy and drags my shorts down too much. . .
    I've had my Smartcarry for about a week now and I have to say that it is a fairly comfortable solution. There have been times that the sharp edges of the velcro on the waistband have poked me, but short of that it works well. Works great with both gym shorts and sweat pants.

I'm not thrilled with the gun being near the family jewels, but I can live with that at home.

I can't imagine that drawing from the Smartcarry can be as fast as from an IWB or OWB holster, but for carrying inside my home, I wouldn't think that is critical. In any event, it's much faster than running across a room to get a weapon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doc

VIP Member
    There have been times that the sharp edges of the velcro on the waistband have poked me, but short of that it works well.
    Doc, I paid $10 at Gander for an archer's sleeve. A cast cover from a medical supply works as well to protect the skin from the rough edges on the Smartcarry. I think I'll tell Charlie to reduce the Velcro width or add material to the straps.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I kinda like the fanny pack. As long as you stay inside your home :-)

I try to make sure my gym shorts or sweats (or pajama pants, for that matter) have pockets for a snub in a pocket holster. My youngest child is 13 and is a shooter herself, so it's not as big of a problem as I used to think it is. If I'm home and awake, I'm carrying.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I can wear the Remora with just about anything. I also carry my XDM .40 in anything but the loosest of shorts and I dont have many problems. The Remora really grabs the skin and holds itself up. Not to mention, Alan is a great guy to work with, and will make it right at all cost if there is any problems.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

blackhawk makes a pretty afforable nylon shoulder holster. i just carry my sr40c around the house with me keeping it within arms reach. i do have guns in every room but then again i dont have kinds running around either.

Blackhawk Vertical Shoulder Holster
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links