Carry at Home

This is a discussion on Carry at Home within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Up until I joined this community, I never imagined the need to actually carry at home. It still seems a bit paranoid to me, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carry at Home

Carry at Home

Up until I joined this community, I never imagined the need to actually carry at home. It still seems a bit paranoid to me, but the more I think about it, the more it seems necessary.

My challenge is that I don't normally wear jeans or slacks while I'm home. I typically wear gym shorts or sweat pants.

Suggestions?

Edit: I forgot to add that I have two small kids (ages 4 and 7) so the option of stashing weapons around the house is out. I must have the firearm under my direct control at all times.

Thanks,
    Doc

2. Remove Ads

I have a belly band for carry when in gym shorts or sweat pants, it works pretty well man
    marcclarke likes this.

Gun proof your kids!
    I either have a weapon on my person or it's sitting next to me.
    If I move from room to room, it goes with me.
    SpencerB, kwoodford and Rigrat like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Remora Holster? Or a gunvault in several rooms?
    basher052 likes this.

VIP Member
    I use a Belly band or Smartcarry if I can't carry IWB behind the hip.

A Mini Gun Vault might be second best, if you keep it within arms reach.

A PM40 or Rohrbaugh R9 works well in a robe pocket. I gave away all my smoking jackets after Heffner started to look wierd in them.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Gun proof your kids!
    I either have a weapon on my person or it's sitting next to me.
    If I move from room to room, it goes with me.
    My kids have been gun proofed. Having the gun on me is my choice. It's simply not worth the continual battle with my wife to just leave it sitting next to me, even if it never is left unattended. It's been a big enough chore to get to the point that she even buys off on letting me carry in the house.

But that's why I am exploring options.

Thanks,
    Doc

sgb
    A fanny pack type carrier would work for you.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I usually pocket carry in cargo shorts around the house. I feel like it is sufficient since there are other options near by and quickly accessible but secure. HD handgun is in handgun safe mounted to my bed frame and shotgun loaded in RSC if needed.

I also have a 5.11 undershirt holster, Smartcarry, and a bellyband, but for pure comfort at home you can't beat a small .380 in your front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    Up until I joined this community, I never imagined the need to actually carry at home. It still seems a bit paranoid to me, but the more I think about it, the more it seems necessary.

My challenge is that I don't normally wear jeans or slacks while I'm home. I typically wear gym shorts or sweat pants.

Suggestions?

Edit: I forgot to add that I have two small kids (ages 4 and 7) so the option of stashing weapons around the house is out. I must have the firearm under my direct control at all times.

Thanks,
    Doc
    SmartCarry. I carry at work that way, and sometimes to the gym when I'm in gym shorts / sweats. No issues, very comfortable. I've read of many people still using a hybrid IWB on your situation (gun dependent of course) But I can't see anything being more comfortable than a SmartCarry for that.

Belly band. Works great under sweat pants. Very comfortable to wear due to the wide elastic band.

They can talk all the BS they want to but if you feel the need to carry do it. I don't carry around the house but I do keep a gun close by because we like or house open Doors and windows when the weather is good. You never know when someone walks in uninvited. Say it will never happen; we had one shooting a couple of houses away and bank robbery/hold up in the hood close to the house and I live in a nice n. Dallas

neighborhood.Man Arrested After Standoff With Police | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

I pocket carry my P380 in gym shorts or sweat pants all the time. I have it in the pocket of my fleece pants right now.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Smartcarry.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

you could always do a 5.11 or wilderness type belt with your iwb holster and then just wear your shorts over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links