One holster, two guns? (M&P 9mm specific)

This is a discussion on One holster, two guns? (M&P 9mm specific) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would most of the holsters on the market today fit both the M&P 9mm full-sized and compact? It looks like the only difference between the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fastk9dad
  • 1 Post By Porp

Thread: One holster, two guns? (M&P 9mm specific)

Question One holster, two guns? (M&P 9mm specific)

Would most of the holsters on the market today fit both the M&P 9mm full-sized and compact? It looks like the only difference between the two are barrel and grip length, which makes me think kydex (or leather) that was shaped for one frame would fit the other.

Any thoughts or actual experiences?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Comp-Tac specifically makes holsters to fit both, it's called a Slide version cut so a full size will poke out the bottom slightly and the smaller compact will pretty much sit flush. But for most holsters if you just bought the full size version they should both fit but then you always have the additional length of he holster when you are carrying the compact.
    bdcheung likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Crossbreed supertuck fits both. I have the 9c and my buddy has the FS, works fine.
    bdcheung likes this.

Great, thanks for the feedback. One more reason for me to get the 9c :)

My first M&P was the 40c and I bought a Comp-Tac MTAC and a Safariland 6378 Paddle/Belt holster for it. I then bought the 40fs. The 40fs fit the Safariland without modification. In order for the 40fs to fit the MTAC I had to take a hairdryer and heat the end up so I could open up the end of the kydex to accept the longer barrel...essentially turning it into what Comp-Tac calls their MTAC "Slide" holster without me having to purchase a new holster body. As you can see in the below pics the 40fs barrel sticks out slightly on both holsters.

Safariland 6378 Paddle/Belt Holster

Comp-Tac MTAC IWB Holster

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    Great, thanks for the feedback. One more reason for me to get the 9c :)
    I have the 40fs and 40c. I originally got the MTAC in slide configuration with C-clips for maximum concealment but when I wanted something that can be slide on/off a little quicker so I bought a Comp-Tac Infidel holster just for the 40c since that is typically the one I wear the most. It's good to have options. I also have their FBI paddle holster for an OWB option as well. ;)
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

If you buy a full size holster it will work for the compact. The opposite is not always the case depending if the end is open and will allow it to push through.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

cj
    I had a compact for a while and acquired a number of holsters. Just recently, I picked up a Full-Size from a member here, and it's worked in every open-bottom holster. Of course, the new FS came with a reinforced Remora and I've been loving that lately...

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    All of the holsters that I have had fit both the full sized and the compact. Only differences between the two guns are the grip and barrel size.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Thanks guys. Definitely gonna pick up a 9c after the holidays!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Galcon Triton kydex is a great IWB holster for the M&P. The one for the full size M&P9 will hold the 9c just fine. Obviously the opposite is not true.

Haysholsters (Jeff is a sponsor) has made me several for my M&PC 9mm(sold) and now fits both of my Glocks: G19 and G26; no problem. Go for it!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    If you can't find an M&P holster(in a store) aand they have one for an XD it will most likely fit.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links