Shielded Holsters: Ongoing

This is a discussion on Shielded Holsters: Ongoing within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm taking a trip for Christmas with my family to Florida and just purchased another LC9 (first one was for the wife and I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Porp
  • 1 Post By diesel44

Thread: Shielded Holsters: Ongoing

Thumbs up Shielded Holsters: Ongoing

So I'm taking a trip for Christmas with my family to Florida and just purchased another LC9 (first one was for the wife and I ended up really liking it). When I purchased the pistol (from a fellow forum member) it came with 4 holsters, a remora, a highnoon bare asset, a desantis nemesis pocket holster and an uncle mike's el cheapo neoprene IWB with a plastic clip. I found the desantis to be awesome, the remora to be a bit big, but good, the uncle mikes to be crap, and the HighNoon to be very uncomfortable. I'm used to wearing my CBST with my m&p 9c and none of these holsters came close, even with a smaller gun. So with the time crunch before I leave on Friday I was in a rush to find a hybrid holster that I could acquire quickly. I had previously ordered an IWB hybrid mag holster from shieldedholsters.com and found it to be quite awesome, he has 0 wait time and makes the double phalanx for the LC9. I contacted Kurt about priority shipping and he informed me last night that he could have it delivered by Friday for only $5 extra. WOW, so I ordered one and had it delivered to my Mom's house in FL. So far Kurt has been fast, fair, and professional. If the holster is anything like his IWB mag holder I have, and anywhere near my CBST in quality, I will be exstatic! I'll keep you all updated. Oh and he offeres leather liner for the kydex in his holsters for only $5 extra. Very cool.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Tommy Theis can deliver a top quality hybrid in 7 days. Great CS and great quality.

Theisholsters.com | Home | Custom IWB Holsters

I did look at the Theis holster as well, couldn't wait the 7 days due to my trip. $55 for the Theis in 7 days, or $55 for the shielded from Kurtis in 2 days.

Kurtis is great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

So, I'm back from Fl. Carried the LC9 in the new Shielded Holster the entire time. Here are my observations so far.

First Impressions: Upon opening the package everything seemed great. I test fit the unloaded pistol into the holster, went in great, great retention. Chambered a round and tried to holster it, the RIC indicator was hitting the kydex and made it tough to holster (fixed with a blowdryer and a pencil). Great, everything is working as intended. Adjusted the cant and ride height. Time to try it out and about. Now I am used to carrying an M&P 9c in a CBST, this carrying an LC9. I noticed that it wasn't as comfortable as the larger gun is in the CBST, but I chalked that up to not being broken in yet. Awesome, an inexpensive hybrid holster that took 3 days from order to delivery!

Later that week: After carrying it for about 6 days the holster did form up and was more comfortable, but the shape of the top of the holster has more angular cuts and less material than the CBST. This is a noticable difference in comfort, the shielded holster will poke me in the side when I lean to my strong side when the CBST does not. Also there is a lot of extra material at the bottom of the holster that produces a noticable feel. Still a good holster, but not as comfy as the CBST even though it's carrying a smaller gun. I'll see if it breaks in more after a few months.

Construction: It's actually pretty well built, especially for the price. The following are the only things I would change (personal preference):
    [indent]
    1. More material and a more curvy shape at the top of the holster
    2. remove pointed excess material at the bottom of the holster
    3. Deburr the metal clips, I had a sliver spike my finger the first time I used it. Remove the bump below the bottom of the clip
    4. Use black rivets (purely cosmetic)

Final thoughts: For the price and time it took to recieve it, it's a good buy. If you have time though, the CBST is definately a better holster and worth the extra time/money. I'm going to order a Tommy Thies for one of my pistols as they come highly recommended and I would like to form my own opinion and put it up against the two other hybrids I have (and the King Tuk my buddy has).
    The finishing on the shielded isn't as nice as the CBST (I love attention to detail, but it's not a deal breaker) the edges are beveled but not burnished, the clips don't feel quite as sturdy as the CBST, the grain of leather isn't as good but it works. I had to adjust the molding of the kydex around the RIC indicator. A big thanks to Kurtis for getting this holster to me so quickly, it really did make my trip to FL much more enjoyable, the Highnoon IWB I have for the LC9 is just downright uncomfortable. Great customer service, and unbelievable turnaround time.
    cbst.JPGshielded.JPG

I believe that if you hadn't gotten the combat cut, the upper part may have felt different for you. As far as the lower part, rounding off the point shouldn't be a problem with a good shears. Just my observations. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links