Need advice about how to wear an IWB holster

This is a discussion on Need advice about how to wear an IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I recently purchased a Kahr CM9 to be a mid sized concealed carry gun. My other two are a Keltec P32 and an M&P ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By luvmy40
  • 3 Post By lyz_grace

Thread: Need advice about how to wear an IWB holster

Need advice about how to wear an IWB holster

Hi,

I recently purchased a Kahr CM9 to be a mid sized concealed carry gun. My other two are a Keltec P32 and an M&P 9mm full size, so the Kahr is right between them.

I never tried to conceal the M&P, but of course the Keltec easily fit in my pocket.

I would like to carry the Kahr with a IWB holster, but that seems to present problems on occasion. For example, if I'm wearing a suit and had the IWB somewhere around 3:00 it seems that any time my coat flapped open the butt of the gun would be plainly visible. Or, what if it's warm out and everyone takes there coat off, I would have to continue to wear mine.

It seems to me that the only way to wear an IWB would be with a sweater, sweatshirt or something similar.

Am I missing something ?

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    You could go with a tuckable IWB rig. You sacrifice speed/ease of access for concealability but that is the name of the game.
    Another option would be a holster tee of some flavor (I am partial to 5.11's offering) when you need deep cover/concealment. The Kahr would be invisible in the 5.11 holster tee.

You are always going to have to dress around your gun. You can sacrifice capacity for size and speed for concealment or you could just say to heck with it and open carry if it is legal in your locale.

$0.02
    Tally XD and JerryMac like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I wear a tuckable holster. For suits, a pocket carry is nice. I never take my coat off when I carry. If I'm carrying in the summer, it's untucked Bahama shirts.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Mount your holster aft of the point of your hip. A 3 o'clock location is right at the broadest part of your hips, so no matter what your cover garment is, the gun will bulge out more there than anywhere else. If you do it right, when if someone views you from right in front, with your arms straight down, your gun will not be visible.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I felt the same way when I first started testing out my MiniTuck. I'm not sure what type of holster you have, but if it has an adjustable height and/or cant, you can fool around with the way that it sits. Other than that, maybe trying out strong side/weak side positions.

I ended up sitting mine very low with a decent forward cant. At first I still felt like it was glowing and there were neon signs over my head that said "SHE HAS A GUN!," but after a while I got more confident with it.

Same here. I wear mine low in the belt and with a slight forward cant which helps shorten the butt of the gun profile. I also wear it around the 8:30 position, so slightly behind the hip. I carry my glock in it and absolutely love it. It took me a couple of days to break it in but it is the only holster I will use.

-Be Safe-
    <><

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    If you have to wear a suit with jacket you have a few choices.

- IWB with a tuckable holster (CompTac Minotaur, Crossbreed Supertuck, Tucker "Answer", etc) where your dress shirt tail tucks between the holster clips and your waist band. Depending on how your shirts fit though, and the size of the gun, you may "print" like crazy through the shirt. You might have to wear a larger size shirt and "billow" the shirt tail out a bit around the waist. Tucking requires some diligence though as you have to un-tuck and re-tuck all day if you need a restroom break.

- Ankle carry is an option. With a small gun ankle carry can be done relatively comfortably but large heavy guns will irritate your ankle and become tiresome after a long day.

- Smart Carry is also an option. It is a holster with a band that fits the crotch area and the gun is held deep down inside the pants waist band.

- Shirt holsters, as mentioned, are a great idea for a small gun also
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I just bought a Kholster. It feels really comfortable. I cant carry concealed continuously because of where I work (federal facility). I can tuck my shirt in nicely and it conceals well.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Taurus PT 111 Millenium Pro Duo-Tone, Taurus PT 92 FS Stainless, Taurus PT 145 Millenium Pro Stainless, Taurus PT 1911 AR Stainless, Smith and Wesson 22A

Links