Bullet resistant concealed carry holsters

This is a discussion on Bullet resistant concealed carry holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.smokinggunholsters.com hermannovak@smokinggunholsters.com Most of the members of this forum have enough training and experience that you will not need or want the added safety of ...

View Poll Results: Are the products on the web site appropriate for the novice

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junk, no one needs these things

2 16.67%
  • Training is all that is needed

9 75.00%
  • Good product for someone new to concealed carry

1 8.33%
  • Very good product for my wife

0 0%
  • Great product, I want one

0 0%

Thread: Bullet resistant concealed carry holsters

http://www.smokinggunholsters.com

hermannovak@smokinggunholsters.com

Most of the members of this forum have enough training and experience that you will not need or want the added safety of a bullet resistant holster, however, if you know someone new to concealed carry or someone that is a little concerned about carrying a handgun, please direct them to my web site Bullet resistant holsters, pocket holsters, purse holsters, Lady. They may find a product that they want. You can also view the videos by clicking on the link on the contact us web page. I invented the bullet resistant holster for two reasons; the first reason is to protect my boat from an inadvertant discharge. I travel a lot on boats and did not want to shoot a hole in the bottom of my boat, the second reason was for novice concealed carry people, like my wife, who wants to carry but was a little concerned about all of the stuff in her purse setting off the gun as she digs for lip gloss. Now, the boat is protected from happy hour and home life is good. Please let me know your thoughts on the products, either good or bad, all comments are helpful. If we can help one person not shoot themselves, I will be pleased, because shooting yourself hurts.
    Thanks,
    Herman Novak

http://www.smokinggunholsters.com

Model 19 Holster and HK 45 1.jpg
    BellyBand 2 9mm & Mag.jpg
    Large and Small Pocket Holsters 2.JPG
    Small Pocket Revolver Holster 1.jpg
    Security Bag 3.JPG
    Last edited by Herman; December 27th, 2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added contect

Anyone who has a ND will wish they had one of these. I've seen several photographs on the forum of people who should have had one, would have saved themselves a lot of pain.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    LOL. That's great!

I can put any of my pistols in a WalMart sack and they are just as safe as in the 'safety bag' since none of my weapons are going to go off on their own.

Nice trigger discipline when he's pulling that just fired pistol out of the sack in the first video, by the way. He probably really does need a safety bag!

VIP Member
    Ok Herman, I'm going to man up, repost and start off with an apology of sorts. Assuming you really are looking for feedback, I'm going to give it to you and I'm also going to explain why seeing your post/product caused me to have such an unhelpful gut reaction.

First off, I commend you for having an idea and having the drive to see it though.

That said, I absolutely hate this idea and I'm going to tell you why in exhaustive detail. First off, the most basic premise behind your product is to replace intelligent ownership with a 'safety' device. You might think you are doing your wife a favor by making her gun 'safe' in her purse but you really aren't doing anything but allowing someone who doesn't know enough about gun safety to feel a false sense of security because their gun is inside a bullet proof bag. That's not helping anyone because she shouldn't be rooting around in her purse with an unsecured firearm at all. She should understand the basics of concealed carry and carry that firearm appropriately. If she were doing that, she wouldn't have any apprehension about inadvertently discharging a firearm.

You absolutely cannot replace proper gun safety with a product. Period. If someone isn't capable of, or doesn't fully understand, the total responsibility of gun safety, they should not have a weapon accessible. Proper trigger discipline and firearm safety knowledge is essential when owning, handling or carrying any firearm. Giving someone a product to make them feel better about the lack of that knowledge is dangerous, not only to them, but to anyone that they might be exposed to if that firearm comes into play. This point is illustrated by your own lack of trigger discipline both before and after you shoot into that bag, as well as the fact that none of your tests are preformed in an actual safe manner. I'm assuming you were actually using real projectile ammunition and not blanks since that would make the entire thing disingenuous. Every one of your tests should be performed in an environment that will maintain safety in the event that the product fails. Shooting at the camera and into your pocket is not safe, regardless of how much you trust your product and I believe it illustrates a lack of fundamental safety knowledge on your part, as opposed to the safety of your product.

Firearms, especially carried firearms, are serious business and there is no excuse for not having the level of familiarity needed to ensure that negligent discharges do not happen. Accidents do happen, yes. No bag or holster is going to reduce that type of event at any appreciable level though, and the false sense of mastery that your product encourages, makes the danger of it far exceed any one in a million benefit it might have. Most accidental discharges are going to occur when a weapon is being actively handled. If you can't keep your finger off the trigger long enough to pull it out of a sack, then you are only delaying the accident, not preventing it, so 'protecting' anyone from the second or two that it's encased in your device is not really protection from anything, in my opinion, and it generally promotes irresponsible firearm ownership. The third video you posted illustrates my point since that individual had the pistol clear of the holster before the shot goes off. Obviously that's a stretch anyway since most folks shouldn't really attempt that sort of stuff unless they have the knowledge and training behind them to know how to do that safely.

One more somewhat unrelated note, and I sincerely hope you've already done your due diligence in exhaustive detail here, I hope you have covered all your bases legally regarding liability of a product of this nature. The first time it fails, it's a guarantee that any injured party or their relatives are going to go after you six ways from Sunday. You had better have some iron clad protection if that happens.

Discussion with TX expat

Dear TX expat,
    Thank you for your discussion and great comments. In all of Smoking Gun Holster literature, including the web site, we stress that proper training and repeated practice are the only way to treat a loaded handgun, in fact, the web site and the documentation that comes with the holster stresses that if their is any chance of using our product in an unsafe manner, please don't purchase it or send it back for a full refund. We will not accept, to the best of our ability, someone using our products in an unsafe manner or if they are showing off. Before we sell a holster to anyone, we have a long and serious discussion with them and do the best we can to insure that they have been trained and respect the firearm and the responsibility that comes with concealed carry and our holster. The purpose of the video with me shooting the handgun in the briefcase, over my shoulder, and the pocket shot are not meant to show a disregard for safety, they are meant to show that the holster absorbs the energy of the bullet and very little is transfered to the body. In the video with the security bag, there was a large
    Kevlar pouch as a safety backstop. The security bag was designed at the request of a company, on the west coast, that does security at hospitals. When an officer comes into any of their hospitals, the officer gives up his weapon and it is secured and locked in the security bag until the officer leaves. The are marketing this product to court houses, government buildings and military installations on the west coast. With regard to the purse holster, each holster comes with adhesive backed Velcro strips to securely attach the holster, in the correct orientation, in the purse and to position it always in the same spot, specifically so it does not move around and mix with all of the other items that women carry. I did not take offence to any of your comments, it is very important to stress your points about safety and training any time we can. Everyone at Smoking Gun Holsters believes in safety and training. The trainer we recommend, in South West Florida, was an instructor for the Secret Service and has years of training experience to insure that the novice has the best training possible. Please keep stressing your points, they are very important and please give me any other comments or suggestions either here or by e-mail at hermannovak@smokinggunholsters.com
    Best Regards,
    Herman

Back in San Diego when i fished commercially it was standard practice to carry a few wax toilet bowl rings to plug holes in boats. A couple rings stuck together and a chunk of plywood or a dinner plate will plug a big one, from the outside. Nothing to do with holsters, just a simpler way of dealing with those pesky bullet holes in your boat.

Senior Moderator
    I'm in the 'all that is needed is training' camp.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Anyone who has a ND will wish they had one of these. I've seen several photographs on the forum of people who should have had one, would have saved themselves a lot of pain.
    Paying attention to what one is doing eliminates the possibility of an ND and eliminates the need for such products, IMHO.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Paying attention to what one is doing eliminates the possibility of an ND and eliminates the need for such products, IMHO.
    Well, we've seen many instances where people have not followed the rules!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links