Running With A Holstered Gun

This is a discussion on Running With A Holstered Gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods - I searched this subject and came up empty handed; feel free to move if not posted in the proper area. Last week I ...

View Poll Results: Will your gun remain holstered on an open top holster if you run?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 76.14%
  • No

0 0%
  • Only if it has a retention / tensioning mechanism

8 9.09%
  • Don’t know

13 14.77%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running With A Holstered Gun

Question Running With A Holstered Gun

Mods - I searched this subject and came up empty handed; feel free to move if not posted in the proper area.

Last week I had to run at full speed (about a 6 minute/mile pace) for bout 200meters – my son is learning how to ride a bike; he decided not to wait for me where I told him to stop and took off on a down slope on a 6 mile bike trail near where I live - pedaling as fast as he could! At the time I was carrying a G23 on a Safariland model 328 thumboverstraped pancake holster; while I could feel the gun “flopping” around on my waist, the gun did not fell out of the holster.

Since I want to have Crimson Trace (CTC) Lasergrips on my Glock, I have to find a new holster – the Safarilaminate material will just not stretch to accommodate the laser. I was considering going to an open top pancake style, like Safariland’s model 528; however, after feeling how a gun flops around on a pancake holster when running, unless it has some retention mechanism or strap, I think wearing an open top holster is not a good idea if one has to sprint/run in an emergency.

What you guys think? Any one knows of someone who ran and lost his gun because of an open top holster? Would like to hear from LEOs, since you guys would be the most prone to run/jump/climb when carrying on a concealment open top holster.

2. Remove Ads

Mine stays in an open-top pancake just fine. I'm a LEO...but most of my running has happened trying to catch the subway or getting up the stairs/to the limo in a hurry.

If I wore a uniform and carried openly/did a uniformed officer's job, I'd be using something with additional retention.

AX

Assistant Administrator
    Since my Eagle Defender has now been in use some 600 days solid - it has eased a bit and so gun not held quite as tight - and I have no retention strap.

However - thus far I find I can run flat out - tho not too far these days!! - and the gun is secure. It would take an almighty amount of jerking and up and down to free it. If an old busted left arm and old age allowed, I would say a handstand would let it fall out!!

It did have a good test last winter, when bowling with friends - I was goofing a bit and caught my leg on a fixed seat - and went down most unelegantly with a twist - impacting another chair en route - it was a heavy fall and not too graceful but was productive of much merriment The gun stayed put.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    If I run someplace, I'll put my hand on the gun itself to keep the weight from floppin everywhere. Because of this, I don't wear my gun when I run in the morning and never otherwise - unless its an emergency. I do not want someone mistaking my runnin to think that I'm about to draw.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

A properly designed and executed holster should allow you to stand on your head without the gun falling out - running should never be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    .....not too graceful but was productive of much merriment ........
    Spoken like a transplanted Brit, I say.........

Not much a runner myself, I still am confident of the retention of mine - cause I don't run that fast or far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    A properly designed and executed holster should allow you to stand on your head without the gun falling out - running should never be a problem.
    Gary, does the tension from the belt make this possible, or should the holster do it on its own? Now that it's broken in, my gun will definitely fall out if I turn the holster upside-down, but if I'm wearing it, the tension on the wings from the belt helps keep the gun in place. I've never done a handstand, but I'm pretty sure it'd stay in...

AX

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Gary, does the tension from the belt make this possible, or should the holster do it on its own? Now that it's broken in, my gun will definitely fall out if I turn the holster upside-down, but if I'm wearing it, the tension on the wings from the belt helps keep the gun in place. I've never done a handstand, but I'm pretty sure it'd stay in...

AX
    Howdy!

Well, that really depends somewhat upon the holster design in question, because retention is different on an IWB than an OWB. Good OWB's will usually pass the "upside down" test (because their retention is a function of the molding/boning and fit). However, really superb IWB's will dump the gun almost every time when held in your hand and inverted. The reason is that retention on an IWB is greatly enhanced by the belt compressing the holster against your body - so much so in fact that it can be very difficult to even draw from one until it is broken in a bit. For this reason, they typically have a little less "retention" built into them.
    For practical purposes what really matters is whether or not it does it while you are wearing it.

Lead Moderator
    no problems here. Even my strong leather holster holds the HK USP in without the thumb break snapped closed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    And this is exactly the way Gary builds a holster. Earlier this week I received my Max Con V for my Springfield XD-45. I can put the gun into the holster and it "snaps" into position.....I really like that. I turned the holster upside down and shook it and the gun stayed in the holster. When I put the holster and gun on it only takes a small tug on the grip to cleanly clear leather. I had it on at the office Thursday and one of my trainees was driving out of the parking lot without his DL that he had left at check-in. I took off in a flat out run for about 40 yards to catch him. He stopped and I handed it to him and went looking for oxygen, but the gun never came loose.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

VIP Member
    When I go on my morning run I carry my Glock 30 in a Galco USA-IWB leather holster, absolutely no problems.
    I've also ran with my H&K in my Predator Kydex SO-2 IWB with no problems.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Well, I wasn't running, but when I was down in NOLA last year, I got into an altercation that had me flip almost 180 degrees upside down. My pistol was held in a Fobus holster. Even with all the thrashing about that both I and my "victim" were doing, it didn't leave the holster, until I pulled it out and put it to the guys head. Of course, that's when the thrashing stopped too.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Your gun SHOULD stay in your holster. BUT....never trust it to. Like Gary said....OWB's retention are leather molding only and IWB's are a split of molding and belt pressure.

Every class Ive been too/master shooter Ive talked with all teach you to
    COVER YOUR WEAPON if you are running. That means putting your hand over it to keep it in place...just in case.

Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

never had problem myself, I've never notice any of my rigs flopping around while running. I use Galco and Don Hume

I use a Fobus holster for either of my carry guns (PT-111 or XD .40sc) and I have had to run on a few occasions (at least what passes for running for me after 12 knee operations) and I have not worried once about my gun hitting the dirt. The Fobus holds the gun very securely and since both are right side paddle holsters, they are very stable.

Some people do not like paddle holsters because they feel that the holster is likely to come up out of the pants with the gun when a draw attempt is made. I have never had this happen and I have practiced drawing from my holster so many times I couldn't begin to count. The holster does not move. And it holds the gun much more stable than a belt holster does.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links