Attn: Full Size carriers - Question from reluctant - Page 2

Attn: Full Size carriers - Question from reluctant

This is a discussion on Attn: Full Size carriers - Question from reluctant within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes......,get a good belt first!!!!!,the best holster is useless with a 5.00 Wally World belt....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Attn: Full Size carriers - Question from reluctant

Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes......,get a good belt first!!!!!,the best holster is useless with a 5.00 Wally World belt.

I purchased my first handgun about 10 years ago- a G17. Started carrying it regularly about 3 years ago. started off with a cheap holster, it worked but was far from comfortable. upgraded to a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe on a standard 1 1/4" leather belt about 1 1/2 years ago .... it has made all the difference. As a full time student funds to buy a new gun are limited so i make due with what i've got. I like the Crossbreed b/c when i am able to buy my next gun (G26) it will be compatible with my existing holster. the clips on the holster are about 8" apart and i find this spreads the weight very well and i am able to carry a full size gun all day long. i think that if you like the M&P then try a good holster. If that still doesn't work for you then try a nice belt. I think you can carry what ever you want/have if you go about it the right way. I am proof that you don't have to have a tiny gun in order to be able to conceal it well.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Yes, a good belt designed to carry a gun makes a big difference. You can also add a magazine holder on the other side to add a counterweight. I made a holster for my son-in-law last summer for a full-size Springfield XD45 as a birthday gift. He carried it on a decent leather belt. However, when I gave him a double layer gunbelt for Christmas, he said it made a huge difference.

VIP Member
    First off, like others have said, yes, it's going to make a difference. Secondly, you don't have to spend anywhere near that much money unless you want to.

I've carried with a belt I picked up on sale at Cabela's for $20, and it works just fine. I did swap out the buckle though.

Cabela's: Cabela's Double Duty II Belt

And you can pick up a decent IWB holster like the Galco Kingtuk or a Tommy Theis for well under $100 as well.

Theisholsters.com | Home | Custom IWB Holsters

Are there 'better' rigs out there? Yeah sure there are, if by better you are talking about looks, options and personal styling. And if you really want to spend more, then your options only increase. You don't need to spend more just to get a decent setup that will provide the basic functions, and do it well enough to get by.

Echoing everyone elses sentiments. A good or ddecent setup is all you need. I have a belt from the Beltman (it is amazing) and a crossbreed supertuck (also amazing) The total rig came it at $145. Not cheap IMO but i have seen holsters for twice that much. If money is tight then I definitely recommend a belt. As others have already stated a great belt will make up for an average holster but not vice versa. Good luck.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I use a SpecOps Better BDU belt and they work extremely well for me. I use them to regularly conceal a Glock 21 in a Looper OWB rig and I have no complaints.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

sgb
    The stiffer the belt the better it will carry the weight of the firearm, a top quality well designed holster on that belt will make your gun conceal very, very well.

Yes a good belt and holster are paramount to successful, comfortable concealed carry. My EDC is 3lbs of 1911 with 1lb of spare mags & ammo.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I use SHTF Gear ACE 1 IWB holster with my normal every day joe belt (it's a fake leather cheapy). I don't get any belt digging in the opposite side and the belt still fits comfortably. So you get the crossbreed style holster and it does make a huge difference compared to what you are carrying now.

As for the belt, my sags a bit so I have to readjust every now and again. So while it is comfortable enough, I think a stiffer belt will not even sag the little bit my current one does. Do you need a $100 gun belt, my opinion is no, but I do believe a solid $25-ish leather belt would be nice to have. Although I am coveting a Looper belt (looperlawenforcement.com) and they are 'only' $55.

Mike

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry a full sized gun on a pretty normal bases. A good holster should be able to hide a gun with no problems.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

In short, YES. A good quality gun belt and a good quality holster make all the difference in the world. It will take a gun that is a complete chore and pain in the butt to carry and make it so you don't even realize you have it on. If you are carrying in a crappy holster on a crappy belt, you need to upgrade.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The belt is the most important piece IMHO. I carry a Fullsize 1911 were you can't skimp at all, trust me check the 1911 forums. I got a comptac belt. They can be had for 80$ I believe. Got both of mine on sale $50 each. I have an MTAC holster $80 works great. Wore this setup today for 12 hours just fine. A Sinilar setup will mwork well eith the M&p

Thanks for all the replies.

I think you guys have talked me off the ledge and I'll be heading out to get a good best first. Holster second.

Still doesn't cure me from wanting to get another gun though. :) But I don't think there is a cure for that. Or even if there should be one.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Nope! I also want a second smaller carry gun. Considering a Kahr.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Nope! I also want a second smaller carry gun. Considering a Kahr.
    I'm drooling over a Kahr P9 in black.

I use a 5.11 casual belt along with an MTAC holster and I keep it all in place with a set of Duluth Trading 2" wide suspenders. ( Yes I'm old enough to get away with suspenders!)

I went to using suspenders about a year and a half ago following a groin injury. At that time I could only use suspenders and carried a TCP738 in my pocket. It was all I could handle at that time.

As I've slowly recovered I've been able to up my gun carrying all the way to a Glock 17 along with a spare mag. However I still can't tighten my belt up like most can and this method works for me.

And I still want a CW9! It would fit so nice in my carry rotation. G17, G26, CW9, TCP 738. See what I mean?
    Question Everything!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links