Attn: Full Size carriers - Question from reluctant

This is a discussion on Attn: Full Size carriers - Question from reluctant within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my situation. I'm not new to guns, but am new to concealed carry. Currently I have a full sized M&P 9mm that I carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Attn: Full Size carriers - Question from reluctant

Here's my situation. I'm not new to guns, but am new to concealed carry. Currently I have a full sized M&P 9mm that I carry in an OWB Blackhawk kydex paddle holster. It's not a good concealed holster by any means, but I needed something for now and it was cheap and it works. Plus, where I live, and the current season, it's easily covered with a jacket. And it's jacket weather right now.

My FS9 is heavy. I can feel the belt on the opposite of my gunside digging into my waist. I've been doing my research and I've read that a good gun belt and a good holster make all the difference. Lately I've been contemplating getting a CW9 for my daily carry gun because it weighs half as much, and it fits in my pocket. I've even considered selling my M&P9 and using the money to buy the CW9 and start putting money towards my next gun purchase. I am married and do have a CFO afterall. :)

The question is... does the gun belt and the holster "really" make all that much difference? I've read that things like a Crossbread Supertuk, or a Galco Kingtuk really "spreads" the weight around, and that a good gunbelt really makes a difference as well. I even read one guy who said that he wears his kingtuk in scrubs sometimes. Although I can't imagine where he would be allowed to do that, but whatever.
    My problem is that I don't like to wear my pants tight as it is. Gun or no gun. I can only imagine my gun sagging or pulling on one side unless I have it tight. And how much can the holster help if I don't have the belt tight?

$100 for a belt and $100 for the holster... I'm over half way to another gun.

Sorry for the rambling.. the basic question is.... will a good belt, and a good holster really perform magic and disperse the weight without requiring the belt to be super tight.

Measurements: 5' 10" 205 w/35" waist.

Thanks.

VIP Member
    My wilderness instructor belt allows me to comfortably carry two Glocks in Brommeland Max-Con V holsters and two extra magazines. The belt costs about forty bucks. I'm 5'10", weigh 195, and have a 32" waist.

Yes! Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro.
    RemMod597 and wuluf like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Yes, a good sturdy well built gun belt and a good quality holster will make all the difference. Also, the kydex/leather hybrid holsters, many of them anyway, have the ability to purchase an extra slide for a different gun and you can use it for more than one piece.

Still, a heavier full size gun will never carry like a gun half its size and weight. But a gun half the size and weight will never carry as much ammo as the full size gun and will also not handle like the full size gun.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I routinely carry a 1911 that weighs over 2 lbs.

You can carry anything if you have the proper belt and holster combination.

You valued your life enough to buy a pistol and get a permit, that's only one factor in the equation.

Your investment in proper gear and training is essential, if the situation ever happens that you have to deploy that pistol in self defense.

Don't skimp. The old saying still applies: you get out of it what you put into it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My wilderness instructor belt allows me to comfortably carry two Glocks in Brommeland Max-Con V holsters and two extra magazines. The belt costs about forty bucks. I'm 5'10", weigh 195, and have a 32" waist.
    With plastic insert? 5 stitch?

I'm rockin the 5 stitch but still have uncomfortable pressure on the opposite side of my 3 oclock carry. Wondered if I should go with plastic insert next time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamisou View Post
    With plastic insert? 5 stitch?

I'm rockin the 5 stitch but still have uncomfortable pressure on the opposite side of my 3 oclock carry. Wondered if I should go with plastic insert next time.
    No, I don't have the insert. When I am single-carrying at 3:00, I wear the buckle at around 10:00 to keep the free-running end out of the holster loop. When I am mirror-carrying, I have the buckle at 12:00.
    Guest1 likes this.

AG Gunleather belt, about 80 bucks. Top of the line. I have two and just ordered a third. Comp Tac or Crossbreed holster, another 80 bucks. By carrying IWB, the gun is supported by belt and pants. Conceals much better as well. A good belt and holster make a difference you cannot believe. Keep the M&P. With a proper belt and holster, you will love it. Lots of firepower. I carry mine all the time. Trust it without question.

Administrator
    Regarding OWB carry of a full size full weight firearm....The stiffer the gun belt - the "less tight" you will need to cinch up your belt.
    Pancake style OWB holsters spread out the weight of a heavy firearm very nicely.

BUT, everybody is different with regard to what is personally "comfortable" so possibly a polymer or alloy framed handgun will be better for some folks that feel that an all steel firearm is too heavy.

I would not make any decisions based on the Blackhawk holster which is really far from an ideal OWB concealment holster.

I carry my m&p 9 with a thesis holster, its great i do forget about it sometimes. His sales pitch is the best, buy it try it for two weeks and if you dont like it send it back for a full refund. Cheap only $55. You should try this if your happy with your m&p 9. I am gonna order a mag holder from him soon.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I will advise you that the belt is the most important piece of your carry equipment. A top shelf, custom holster will carry like crap on a cheap dress belt, but a decent holster will conceal like a champ on a sturdy, purpose designed gun belt. That doesn't mean that you have to spend a fortune though, like Mike1965 stated The Wilderness Instructor's Belt and many other companies offering's are perfectly adequate for carry. I wear a Wilderness Frequent Flyer Five Stitch with polymer insert often with an all steel Government Model Colt and two extra mags and it supports the weight easily.

VIP Member
    One thing that causes me to favor my Wilderness Instructor over a custom leather belt (I have a Brommeland leather belt I also love) is that minor weight fluctuations don't affect the fit of the holster. Sometimes one hole on the belt will be too loose, while the next one is too tight. With the fully adjustable style of the WI, a perfect fit can be had every time.

I'm 5'11 and 220lbs.

I carry a Glock 19 or similar sized gun regularly in a Dale Fricke ArchAngel appendix-IWB holster at 2:00 with a Wilderness belt. I can also manage a G17 in the same position.

Give it some time and work with your setup a bit. Belts and holsters are important but I carry my big Beretta 92FS full size in a cheap Uncle Mike's straight drop IWB and don't use a dedicated gunbelt or even a leather one. Some of my nonleather belts are stiff enough that I didn't buy an expensive hybrid holster or a dedicated gunbelt and I carry at 3:30 all day without much problem. I found there was a limit to the weight since I don't carry an extra mag or anything as a counter balance - I can carry with a 10 round mag but 15 rounds is too heavy with my current setup. I've no doubt that if I got a decent belt and holster I could carry with a 15 round mag no problem.

If you are using your M&P and are confident with it, why invest so much money and time in a completely new handgun if you just have to adjust the carry setup a bit to be comfortable, spend less, and carry something you are already confident in?
    I'm 6'2" and 195lbs so I'm kinda thin and my setup still works for me - I'm sure you could get yours there too without too much extra money and gear. I'd try loading your mag with 10 rounds as a start to see if there's a tipping point in weight that makes a difference - if you are considering a smaller gun the lower round count should be fine for you.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Remora.

Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links