Defensive Carry banner

At what position do you carry?

What position do you carry? You know like 2:00 etc.

7K views 50 replies 47 participants last post by  multistage 
#1 ·
I am new to CCW. Had my card for a month or so. I suppose it is a personal thing but wondered what position people carry. I am not sure yet was at the 2:30 now at 4:30. :image035:

#7 ·
-
Finally settled on 4:30 strongside with a 25 degree cant after several months of practice draws. You'll find what's right for you & your rig.

#9 ·
This will depend solely on *your* perceived comfort/access/retention requirements, which will be unique to you, as an individual person.

What will bias your selection will be based heavily on your body build, your daily activities, as well as both the physical size of the gun you carry as well as how your support gear (everything from the holster to the belt, to suspenders, and yes, even your pants and cover garment) plays out.

I'm about 6 ft. tall, a porky :embarrassed: 250 lbs on a medium frame - that means I have a bit of overhang on the front, and because of that, AIWB is uncomfortable for me unless I don't plan to sit or bend forward at the waist, all day...that's unfortunate, since I can honestly easily conceal a full-sized autopistol there, with no difficulties at all, with my usual clothing.

While I am of the body-type that would make carry at 4-4:30 very good for concealment, I elected not to carry there due to concerns for retention as well as the fact that I am often seated throughout the day, along with the fact that in being the father of a young child, I am often lowering myself (instead of bending over, which makes printing/exposing even more likely) to reach for dropped items, etc.

I carry at my 3'o-clock, with a severe forward cant.

But YMwillV. :wink: :smile:

#11 ·
2 o'clock-ish :yup:

#15 ·
When my holster gets here in April I plan on the 4 o'clock but may have to play with it a little. It will depend on where the gun rides the best. All I can offer is to try the diff positions you think you may like for at least a week and see what fits you best. Make sure you gun is unloaded, ammo in the other room or better yet locked up and make numerouse draws and reholsters from the positions you think you would preferr. When you find the one that allows the best grip, presentation, and reholster you know you have found what fits your needs. Goo luck ad safe shooting.

#16 ·
330-4 with a forward cant, there's a nice comfy spot

#17 ·
I didn't vote because it depends on the gun and my dress. I carry my Sig P229 mostly AIWB ~ 1:30, less often IWB @ 4 or OWB @ 4 , XD Service AIWB @ 1:30, 1911's ride @ 4-4:30, J frame off side pocket, shoulder rig on occasion too.

#20 ·
None of the above for me, as I OC cross draw, which puts the handgun at 9 o'clock. I'm right handed and I see no reason alarming a store clerk by reaching around a handgun for my cash. Also, while driving, a cross draw fashion is more comfortable while seated in a bucket seat. As an added bonus, with grip facing forward I feel safe among crowds as I can quickly cover the grip with my left elbow.

As always, with any poll.......YMMV.

#31 ·
If you ever find yourself in a physical altercation the appendix position (12:00-2:30ish) is both the easiest to draw from, and the easiest position to defend your gun from being taken away. You can also conceal a substantially larger gun this way.

Highnoon makes some affordable quality holsters for AWIB.

However, appendix carry is not beer-belly friendly. It's a good excuse to get in, or stay in shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.