What position do you carry? You know like 2:00 etc.

This is a discussion on What position do you carry? You know like 2:00 etc. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to CCW. Had my card for a month or so. I suppose it is a personal thing but wondered what position people ...

View Poll Results: At what position do you carry?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2:00

10 5.99%
  • 2:30

7 4.19%
  • 3:00

18 10.78%
  • 3:30

48 28.74%
  • 4:00

42 25.15%
  • 4:30

24 14.37%
  • 5:00

4 2.40%
  • None of these

27 16.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What position do you carry? You know like 2:00 etc.

What position do you carry? You know like 2:00 etc.

I am new to CCW. Had my card for a month or so. I suppose it is a personal thing but wondered what position people carry. I am not sure yet was at the 2:30 now at 4:30.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    3 o'clock is the most comforting for me.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

None of the above, Lefty, I carry around 10:00 or 10:30. Or behind the hip at 8:00.

-- Richard
    mook012 likes this.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

About 3:15!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Right at 3:38:30...there's a little niche right there where the gun seems to disappear.
    CountryGal likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

AIWB, so it would be somewhere between 1:00 and 2:00. Easiest and fastest position carry position.
    GlockZombie and jfnixon like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Finally settled on 4:30 strongside with a 25 degree cant after several months of practice draws. You'll find what's right for you & your rig.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Was tempted to just say "Standing up"! But I'll answer honestly at about 3:30.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    This will depend solely on *your* perceived comfort/access/retention requirements, which will be unique to you, as an individual person.

What will bias your selection will be based heavily on your body build, your daily activities, as well as both the physical size of the gun you carry as well as how your support gear (everything from the holster to the belt, to suspenders, and yes, even your pants and cover garment) plays out.

I'm about 6 ft. tall, a porky :embarrassed: 250 lbs on a medium frame - that means I have a bit of overhang on the front, and because of that, AIWB is uncomfortable for me unless I don't plan to sit or bend forward at the waist, all day...that's unfortunate, since I can honestly easily conceal a full-sized autopistol there, with no difficulties at all, with my usual clothing.

While I am of the body-type that would make carry at 4-4:30 very good for concealment, I elected not to carry there due to concerns for retention as well as the fact that I am often seated throughout the day, along with the fact that in being the father of a young child, I am often lowering myself (instead of bending over, which makes printing/exposing even more likely) to reach for dropped items, etc.

I carry at my 3'o-clock, with a severe forward cant.

But YMwillV.

sgb
    3 O'clock for me
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

2 o'clock-ish
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rick21 View Post
    AIWB, so it would be somewhere between 1:00 and 2:00. Easiest and fastest position carry position.
    Ditto
    GlockZombie likes this.

Had to vote none as I am a dedicated lefty. 8:00 works best for me.
    Thylacine likes this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Had to vote none as I am a dedicated lefty. 7:30 to 8:00
    "Look at there, America's only contribution to western civilization- turning right on red light." Clarkson Top Gear UK

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    When my holster gets here in April I plan on the 4 o'clock but may have to play with it a little. It will depend on where the gun rides the best. All I can offer is to try the diff positions you think you may like for at least a week and see what fits you best. Make sure you gun is unloaded, ammo in the other room or better yet locked up and make numerouse draws and reholsters from the positions you think you would preferr. When you find the one that allows the best grip, presentation, and reholster you know you have found what fits your needs. Goo luck ad safe shooting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links