For those of you that carrry @ 5 or 5:30?

This is a discussion on For those of you that carrry @ 5 or 5:30? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you find it uncomfortable to sit while carrying IWB at 5 or 5:30? I find that it is the most concealable for me to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you that carrry @ 5 or 5:30?

For those of you that carrry @ 5 or 5:30?

Do you find it uncomfortable to sit while carrying IWB at 5 or 5:30? I find that it is the most concealable for me to carry there but it is uncomfortable to drive or sit in a chair. Do you find this to be true? If so what have you done to make it more comfortable? Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well as a maker of things leather, Ive tried it quite a bit and for me 4-4.30 just works better. With a close fitting holster and the right cant, the gun is hidden as well as with any good location and sitting is very comfortable. The gun isnt seen or felt for the most part by me or other people.
    For 5.00 you need alot of cant to match your natural draw stroke....and due to the nature of the carry location I cant say it would ever be comfortable sitting for any length of time.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    No way, I prefer 3 to 3:30 and depending on the holster maybe a little further back (but only if an OWB), otherwise I'm constantly getting poked in the back. I picked up a Kramer "Thomas Perfectionist" IWB last week and it has the most severe cant of any holster I own (25 to 30%), it's a great driving rig as the cant allows easy access without the seatbelt getting in the way. Felt kinda strange at first but now that I'm used to it, I think this one will become my "driving" rig!

Definitely An Individual Preference...

on what feels comfortable.
    I now carry only three ways...IWB at 3:30, SOB at 5-5:30, or in a fanny pack. I do this with either a KelTec .380 (forget it's there) sitting is no problem...a Beretta 9000S...a Kimber Ultra CDP II, or a Glock-36. I can actually sit with the Beretta or Kimber, it's just finding that 'right' spot on my kidney...it works.

In the car I either move to an IWB holster or have a second weapon within easier reach than the SOB. For hot weather here in FL , my SOB is very convenient. I can produce a weapon from SOB fast enough for my purposes...I'm not a cop, I stay out of dark alleys, and I am very aware of my surroundings.

I know, I know, many will say ,baaaaaad, things about SOB ...so be it! I know my limits; I know what works for me. And...I have been in many groups with print shirt wide open, and no one knows I am CCW. ...isn't that the goal?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Usually closer to 8 oclock. but I am left handed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Your 8 Rocky - raise you my 4 LOL!

I am actually 3 to 3.30 most of time and 4 is my limit, tho I do have an SOB I could use for my SW99 at a push is not SIG carrying and that would be 5.30. That said I would not choose to have to use it when any large amount of sitting required - just hate leaning against a solid lump of iron

Driving would be the worst.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

to be honest sitting in the car with the gun that far back jabs me in the kidneys and everywhere else. i would rather sleep on concrete covered with gravel!....lol. i carr 330 to 430 at the most depending.

4 O'Clock is the way to go.
    I have messed with holsters and differnt carry positions, carry systems, boxes of holsters.I also build holsters- I have concluded that strong side just behind the hip works best for me & most people.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

For contortionists only

For contortionists only, is what that felt like to me when I tried it. I carry at 1:00-2:00 o'clock IWB, with a weapon that I trust.
    It is easy to get at when driving, if the need would arise. My XD-40sc has a 3" barrel, that is not long enough to be uncomfortable. And it just seems natural now after doing it for a couple of years.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

Thanks everyone.

I guess I'm still trying to find the best position that allows me to draw the easiest, be comfortable and doesn't print. I currently have a P229 in a CTAC. I have a leather holster on order but I'm stuck in that 20 week wait period...At about 5 o-clock I can draw the weapon with ease and I get no printing at all with a regular size cover garment. A regular cover garment for me is a size large button up shirt un-buttoned and un-tucked. But as previously mentioned it's like sitting with a chunk of steel in your back . At 4 oclock sitting seems to be fine and drawing is fine but with a large cover garment I notice a slight print. I asked my wife is she noticed anything and she said no but she's a little less than enthusiastic about the whole gun carry thing. That's a whole other story though. Who knows maybe she's right and I'm being over critical. I also may be giving the general public too much credit to notice a slight print.

Maybe I should go with an XL cover garment?

You know this got me to thinking...during the winter time throwing on a jacket can easily cover your weapon. But what do you all do when you go into a place and have to take your jacket off? Do you just wear your shirt un-tucked? I always wear my shirt tucked in with a cover garment which I won't take off but when wearing a shirt tucked in and your cover garment is your jacket, what would you do if you have to take the jacket off?

So many questions

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...there is no simple answer. You have to plan ahead for the possibilities you face when carrying a gun. Will I take my jacket off? Will it be that hot? etc.

One of the best things you can do....is pretend to have to make a phone call and put your gun and holster in your car!

If you have a shirt that can be worn untucked, then thats an easy one...go to the bathroom and make sure its concealed well, then go about your day.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

tn sig,
    I regularly wear a banded-bottom polo shirt for concealment (think sweatshirt bottom) and pull-over sweaters or sweatshirts when the weather gets cooler, so the concealing garment is the only garment and never has to come off. I carry IWB at 3-3:30 but concealment is greatly dictated by body size/shape, size of the pistol (most especially grip length) and cant of the pistol, and several other factors. If you wear a pistol with a long grip to slide-top length at 20 degree or more cant, the top of the slide may print if you wear it too far forward (past 3:30). The grip may print if you wear it too far back (past 4:30).
    Since everyone is built differently, and had differnt levels of manual dexterity and physical capabilities and limitations, there is no correct blanket answer here that will suit everyone.
    Also keep in mind that such minor things as different pants, even when using the exact same pistol, holster, and top covering garment; can change concealability. Differnt pants have the belt loops in different locations, or differnt widths of belt loop, which can effect where you position the holster. Pants also have waistbands of different heights which will relocate the pistol, and just moving it up or down 1/2 inch can change how it will conceal.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

[QUOTE=Eric Larsen;181610]Well as a maker of things leather, Ive tried it quite a bit and for me 4-4.30 just works better. With a close fitting holster and the right cant, the gun is hidden as well as with any good location and sitting is very comfortable. The gun isnt seen or felt for the most part by me or other people.
    For 5.00 you need alot of cant to match your natural draw stroke....and due to the nature of the carry location I cant say it would ever be comfortable sitting for any length of time.

This says it for me too. That's how I carry my G 30.
    Richard
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 30
    Kel-Tek P-11
    Kel-Tek P3AT
    Cold Det Spec
    Uberty peacemaker repro
    Ruger MK I .22 auto

I'm carrying at around 3:30-4:00, always IWB. I just can't seem to get used to OWB/Belt carry. Of course, that's only because I've never carried anything smaller than a Beretta Cheetah (84BB) other than in my pocket (.25 auto).
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Usually closer to 8 oclock. but I am left handed.
    That explains why you (presumably) are holding that weapon backwards in your avatar.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links