Possible stupid question,,,

This is a discussion on Possible stupid question,,, within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But what the heck are the 2 little plastic peices and the little plastic square thingy that come with BlackHawk Serpa holsters?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Possible stupid question,,,

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal

Possible stupid question,,,

But what the heck are the 2 little plastic peices and the little plastic square thingy that come with BlackHawk Serpa holsters?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Second Amendment T-Shirts

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity

2. Remove Ads

I don't think it is a stupid question. In fact, I have a Blackhawk SERPA holster, so does a friend of mine, and neither of us has been able to figure out what the little square "thingy" is either! We didn't get the other 2 plastic gizmos, but we both have the square thing and have no idea what it is. Hope someone on here knows and answers. Inquiring minds want to know!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Mine came with the "tabs", but not the "plate". I've been wondering that myself.

mmm....a tool of some kind?....ok ok, don't hit me!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    Well I did find this.. so I know where they go,, still not sure what they do. Nothing on the square peice yet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Second Amendment T-Shirts

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity

I have no idea what the square is but the two plastic hooks are for inserting into the paddle holster as a form of retention. Did yours come with an instruction sheet. I refuse to use these holsters as I feel they are not safe so my experience is limited. Hope that helped.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

The square is just an insert to keep the holster open and in shape when shipping. Throw it away.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

no such thing as a stupid question

The small plastic pieces help to keep the paddle inside of your pants. They are meant to hook the material when you draw so the holster does not shift up. Im curious why you think these are unsafe M203sniper. I use one for hunting and hiking to secure my firearm and have had no problem.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    What maddy345 said.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    You learn something new everyday. I was unaware of the purpose of those tabs.

I had wondered the exact same thing on my Blackhawk.. so don't feel bad.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by mjblat View Post
    The small plastic pieces help to keep the paddle inside of your pants. They are meant to hook the material when you draw so the holster does not shift up. Im curious why you think these are unsafe M203sniper. I use one for hunting and hiking to secure my firearm and have had no problem.
    There have been incidents of people not totally depressing the release during the draw. This keeps the gun locked in the holster. They then push the release harder. The gun releases and the draw begins. But the person is still pushing on the release. Hard. As the trigger and the still-pushing finger lift, they clear the holster, meet, and the gun fires.
    perfection likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mjblat View Post
    In addition to being banned by several agencies, a number of well respected trainers have banned them from classes. As has the FLETC (Federal LEO academy) in Georgia.
    perfection likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    There have been incidents of people not totally depressing the release during the draw. This keeps the gun locked in the holster. They then push the release harder. The gun releases and the draw begins. But the person is still pushing on the release. Hard. As the trigger and the still-pushing finger lift, they clear the holster, meet, and the gun fires.
    Just to clarify a little more here, one uses one's trigger finger to release the retention latch on the SERPA holster. Thus the trigger finger is bent and applying force to the retention latch by curling inward with several pounds of force. Once the retention latch releases and the gun comes free of the holster, the trigger finger is still bend and still applying force inward. The trigger finger, still applying force, contacts the trigger and an unintentional discharge results.

I contend the SERPA is a poor and unsafe design, as it uses the trigger finger to release the retention latch. Compare and contrast the SERPA's trigger-finger-activated latch to a thumbreak retention holster. No matter what you do with your thumb before, during, or after the draw you can not get your thumb to touch or active the trigger.

For an introduction to good design principles for the layman, I would encourage anyone to obtain and read a copy of

Amazon.com: The Design of Everyday Things (9780465067107): Donald A. Norman: Books

9780262640374-f30.jpg

Another way to think about general design principles is to ask the simple question, "What could possibly go wrong"? As you look at the rather innovative design for the teapot on the cover of the book, ask, "What could possibly go wrong as I pour myself a cup of boiling hot tea?"

Then, as you think about the SERPA holster's innovative design, ask yourself, "What could possibly go wrong as I activate the holster's retention latch using my trigger finger to apply force inward with a strong curling motion and I begin to withdraw the cocked and loaded handgun (which is pointed at my leg and my foot) from the holster?"

Then think about Murphy's Law.
    Last edited by marcclarke; January 11th, 2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Fix spelling boo-boos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links