Mounting a Holster Inside My Car - Page 2

Mounting a Holster Inside My Car

This is a discussion on Mounting a Holster Inside My Car within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TSiWRX I'd mount using hardware or straps that fully go "around" the support area. Similarly, I'd look for retention as one of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Mounting a Holster Inside My Car

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    I'd mount using hardware or straps that fully go "around" the support area. Similarly, I'd look for retention as one of my top priorities - you don't want the holster or gun going places in a crash or even just an emergency maneuver.

Also, I'd look for a mounting place that's accessible but discreet, so that you don't tip off anyone looking into your (vacant) car that the vehicle's owner has a gun.
    Just looking through this and thought it was an interesting thread-great advice! I didn't think about somebody looking in and being tipped off-thanks!
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I could be wrong and may have answered this before but in SC, unless the firearm is in a compartment, you cannot just put together a "car holster" of any kind that will have quick and easy accessibilty. A car holster in my car is either my pocket 380 or my Remora holstered 57--both are covered by my CCWP and I can access them from my person in keeping with SC law.

I have made about 5 kydex holders that I have attached in car, under bed, inside safe door, etc I love making things with kydex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I could be wrong and may have answered this before but in SC, unless the firearm is in a compartment, you cannot just put together a "car holster" of any kind that will have quick and easy accessibilty. A car holster in my car is either my pocket 380 or my Remora holstered 57--both are covered by my CCWP and I can access them from my person in keeping with SC law.
    Different states treat what happens inside the vehicle, differently. You need to know the laws where you live, and also where you may travel through.

IMO, the weapon should be on you, not hidden in a holster in the car. I understand It can be hard, but it can be figured out....
    Old School likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

^ I think that most of us in communities such as these would definitely agree with that sentiment.

For these "car holsters," I think that the vast majority of people pursuing such a setup either want them for extended driving - to make access to their firearm faster/more consistent - or, alternatively, are looking for a fast yet safe method to disarm/rearm for entrance-to/exit-from a forbidden area.

I haven't tried this, but check out the Crossbreed Ohai.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ I think that most of us in communities such as these would definitely agree with that sentiment.

For these "car holsters," I think that the vast majority of people pursuing such a setup either want them for extended driving - to make access to their firearm faster/more consistent - or, alternatively, are looking for a fast yet safe method to disarm/rearm for entrance-to/exit-from a forbidden area.
    We both know that the dynamics do not change whether its a long trip or a short one. If its not comfortable, maybe its time to change the carry rig, to make it comfortable. As far as the PFZs are concerned, a lock box would be the best option IMO. Leaving it in a holster in the car, could make it an easy target for someone to steal....
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    We both know that the dynamics do not change whether its a long trip or a short one.

If its not comfortable, maybe its time to change the carry rig, to make it comfortable.
    I'm honestly not so sure about this one - "comfort" is very subjective. Additionally, there are concrete benefits to having a dedicated off-body car-rig, such as ease-of-access, for even an open cross-draw or shoulder holster could be fouled by the belt or clothing. I think that any debate on these factors are, at best, nil/even...for every pro, I can definitely think of a con, and I'd well bet that you can, too.

For me, it stays on-body for a number of reasons (and also for me, one of the specific reasons why I carry what I carry, how I carry - and utilize certain support gear - is specifically because of the consideration that I am always in and out of my vehicle, through the course of an average day), but nevertheless, I think it's important to help those who would choose to have a "car holster" to do things right, in being an automotive hobbyist, myself. I just don't want to see someone VELCRO something under the dash, only to have it fall off while they're driving! There's many things that someone who either doesn't work with cars on a professional level or "plays" with their car may well be completely clueless about, and it's such pitfalls that I'm hoping to help them avoid.

As far as the PFZs are concerned, a lock box would be the best option IMO. Leaving it in a holster in the car, could make it an easy target for someone to steal....
    I heartily agree - Firearms Forum Online • View topic - How To Store Handgun In Vehicle Unattended - nevertheless, this is, as that thread very well highlights, a personal discretion issue in many areas.

If I were to rig a car-holster setup, I'd want to consider how well the holster itself can be covered/disguised when I'm out of the vehicle (with or without firearm, it doesn't matter, as one of my worries is whether the sight of the empty holster may instigate a break-in: to-wit, how many times have drivers been advised to remove any mounting hardware for their un-docked electronics, leaving a "stripped" car, to dissuade break-ins? ) - and balance that with not only ease-of-access/draw (and the safety of the draw-stroke), but also whether if the draw will be telegraphed to an approaching threat.

I personally think that there is *lots* to consider, when it comes to a car holster: that it's more than just buying an accessory and strapping it/taping it in-place.

But then again, I'm always thinking about the car.

I understand your point TSI, however, with a car holster you run into training issues IMO. Most folks if they train, they train from there carry rig. If they have done this, then there muscle memory is in place. Pros and cons aside, you can see were this could cause issues. Like you said, better on the body, Than off the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I understand your point TSI, however, with a car holster you run into training issues IMO.
    I agree - but that's going to be on the shoulders of the end-user: it's their responsibility. To-wit, how many have trained to get the gun out of their carry holster, from inside the vehicle, with their seat-belt on and in full street clothing? how many have even remotely thought of possible complications?

They've got to make sure that they're proficient with what they've chosen to use, and I think it's all too often that people who choose to carry a firearm see it as a magical amulet that wards off evil with its simple presence, without truly understanding how things are going to play out, when things really go bad.

I agree, the car-holster does add one more level of complications, but I do not see it as any more of a problem than the simple need for every self-defensive shooter to properly familiarize themselves with their equipment. The fault is not on the tools, but will rest with the user, if he/she has not done their due-diligence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links