Mounting a Holster Inside My Car

This is a discussion on Mounting a Holster Inside My Car within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 23 in the small of my back IWB with the Crossbreed SuperTux, so when I drive it really needs to come ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Mounting a Holster Inside My Car

Question Mounting a Holster Inside My Car

I carry a Glock 23 in the small of my back IWB with the Crossbreed SuperTux, so when I drive it really needs to come out. It's a bit uncomfortable in some vehicles & I'm also concerned it would break my back in a car accident. I've been passing the gun from my right hand over the steering wheel to my left hand & then dropping it in a open storage area in my car door. This works great, but it means I've waving my gun around constantly.

I've been thinking about mounting a holster somewhere in the front of my car on my right so I can just pull the gun out from behind my back & drop it into a holster right there. No more waving it about. Has anyone ever tried this?

Btw, I drive a Volvo V70. I was thinking of mounting a holster down low on the right against the console - but more out in front of me. There is no room for a gun between my seat & the console.

Any ideas of where I should mount it? Or how/what type of holster?

I'm also open to other ideas of what to do with gun while driving...

2. Remove Ads

I have thought about this as well.
    Desanits makes a seat holster - up front, between your legs.
    Glock 19, 23, 32 Holsters : Glock 23 Holsters : 19 Holsters : DeSantisHolster.com

I am looking at the Protech seat buddy holster - $21
    (If this link is not appropriate, remove and let me know please)
    Pro - Tech Seat Buddy Holster, Holsters, Pro-Tech at Sportsman's Guide
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin

I'd mount using hardware or straps that fully go "around" the support area. Similarly, I'd look for retention as one of my top priorities - you don't want the holster or gun going places in a crash or even just an emergency maneuver.

Also, I'd look for a mounting place that's accessible but discreet, so that you don't tip off anyone looking into your (vacant) car that the vehicle's owner has a gun.

Finally, be extra careful when handling the gun while you're inside the car.
    CountryGal and tkruf like this.

check this one out
    Quick and accessible, our universal steering wheel column mount is ideal for carrying a handgun in your vehicle for convenience or self-defense. Great for those who often conceal carry and may not want to keep their pistol on them while driving.

Universal Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount - Steering Wheel Column Application
    paching likes this.

I have a generic holster that fits between the seat and console. It's a great place to put my EDC or an extra Ruger SP101.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use a Kinston car seat holster. I have used it going out to Montana and back a few times and really enjoyed it. Made a world of difference on those long car drives or when wearing multiple layers in the winter http://www.desantisholster.com/store...-9mm40cal-4-14

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

If you are looking to mount it somewhere you can use screws this might work. You could mount a SERPA there. And with the quick disconnects you could take the holster off and just leave the mount attached when not needed. But you would have to buy a SERPA holster too. It would not be cheap.

BLACKHAWK! SERPA Quick Disconnect Kit (2 Female/1 Male) - BLACKHAWK!

If you want cheap, I used an Uncle Mikes holster for a while. I would fasten the passenger seatbelt and clip the holster to the belt.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    check this one out
    Quick and accessible, our universal steering wheel column mount is ideal for carrying a handgun in your vehicle for convenience or self-defense. Great for those who often conceal carry and may not want to keep their pistol on them while driving.

Universal Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount - Steering Wheel Column Application
    This looks promising. I actually just mounted a holster in my console. There are many times I can't have a firearm on me and I don't want it to be unsecured or visible inside the vehicle when I'm not in it. But I wouldn't be able to draw near as fast as if I had one of these installed.

I knew a deputy in Wyoming who used a Serpa paddle holster. He mounted the holster using the paddle to the trim under the steering column. Pretty slick.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! These are definitely some promising options. My biggest problem seems to be a lack of room in the driver's area. Now, I'm off to see what will work best for me & my car. :)

I also carry a Glock 23, and I purchased a Kydex holster which mounts with 3M tape... I have the holster mounted on the side of the center console of my Escalade, right next to my right knee. Someone standing at either of my windows is unable to see it, but it is right there ready to be drawn... I'm not sure if the guy still makes them, but the ad link is here:

Universal Glock Vehicle Mount - Glock Talk Classifieds
    CountryGal likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Try the Kingston Car Seat Holster from Desantis. I use it to mount my pistol if I have to unholster my sidearm while seated in my car.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    While not a mounted holster, I use a Safepaker from Wilderness Tactical. I keep it on my right side threaded through the seatbelt. You could also probably rig up a way to hang it on the left side of your seat.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

This one will fit almost every car and easy to move from one car to another. Universal Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount - Steering Wheel Column Application

Quote Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
    I carry a Glock 23 in the small of my back IWB with the Crossbreed SuperTux, so when I drive it really needs to come out. It's a bit uncomfortable in some vehicles & I'm also concerned it would break my back in a car accident. I've been passing the gun from my right hand over the steering wheel to my left hand & then dropping it in a open storage area in my car door. This works great, but it means I've waving my gun around constantly.

I've been thinking about mounting a holster somewhere in the front of my car on my right so I can just pull the gun out from behind my back & drop it into a holster right there. No more waving it about. Has anyone ever tried this?

Btw, I drive a Volvo V70. I was thinking of mounting a holster down low on the right against the console - but more out in front of me. There is no room for a gun between my seat & the console.

Any ideas of where I should mount it? Or how/what type of holster?

I'm also open to other ideas of what to do with gun while driving...

I thought about doing this myself, in my Suburban, and Eldorado , Either have an Upholstery shop match the material and make a patch pocket to fit your gun and have it mounted to the door panel or console. Or use a pocket or pancake holster attached where you can reach it.

Or use a soft gun case, with zipper, and attach to the console or door panel. With pop-rivets, or pan-head screws, and small washers. With the gun case opened in the position you want. If on the door panel, place the gun into it before getting behind the wheel. A Glock can be fired with either hand, in the 3 to 15 foot range. With your right hand on the shifter, and foot on the gas. Or if you are told to get out of your car, as you step out, the gun is in your right hand, by the time your right foot touched the ground.

As far as what to do with a gun while driving, you'll have to contact me privately. Remember using a gun while driving, as with a cell phone use, may be a moving violation and do more harm than good.

Semper Fi !

Ski
    "The U.S. Marine Corps did not train me to die for my Country, they trained me so my Enemy will die for his!"

"It is best to be Armed, and not need to use, than be Unarmed when you need to use one !"

NRA -Life, USMC VTA -Life, VFW -Life, NW. MCTA -Life;
    Grandpa -Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links