S&W Model 19 .357 2.5" carry options?

This is a discussion on S&W Model 19 .357 2.5" carry options? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying my Mod. 19 in a belly band and found the gun just dosn't feel right. The gun weighs 30.5 Oz. I ...

I have been carrying my Mod. 19 in a belly band and found the gun just dosn't feel right. The gun weighs 30.5 Oz. I just ordered a Kangaroo Air Marshall shoulder holster. Anyone else have a Smith Model 19 2.5"? How do you carry? I like the belly band but the gun is a bit heavy for a 4" belly band. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any of you use the Kangaroo air marshall II?? Thanks.

My SP101 isn't quite that heavy, but I use a Mr.Softy holster and a Rock Steady belt.

I'm not a fan of belly bands. They don't seem to support the weapon very well,and they don't afford full grip access.

No experience with the kangaroo rig.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My first EDC was a 2.5" S&W 19 carried in a Milt Sparks Pancake holster. I later used a Galco clip-on IWB, but it wasn't real comfortable. I would recommend carrying OWB with a good belt for comfort. For conceal-ability, check out some of the two-point IWB holsters available. Having a good belt will make a lot of difference in comfort too.

Oh, welcome to the forum from Minnesota!
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Thanks for the feed back...I have a Bianchi "Blackwidow" but the problem is concealment. I'm retired and don't wear suits anymore. Mostly sweats. Sometimes jeans & flannel shirts.
    I do need a new belt but I still want good concealment. thanks.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I have a Fist holster for a 4" Model 19 for OWB carry & I love it. This should work well for your 2.5" as well. Just google "Fist Holsters & look around.
    This is the only custom holster I own, but I am sure there are many holster makers on this site that could hook you up as well.
    Good luck finding a holster that meets your needs.
    SCGunLover1

S&W 19-4 blue is ONE of my favorite pistols,,,, shots great,,,,
    I carry in different OWB hostlers,,,, as a change,,,, but not a lot.

I carry my 66 2.5" in one of my The Slide OWB pancake style holsters. Works great for me.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Cover garment

http://www.bandedbottom.com Take a look at the banded bottom style shirts. A 3" RB K-frame, standard grips with Tyler T-grip, FIST OWB #12 ( a pancake style), disappears on me. Choose dark colors. With this style shirt there is no need to up-size so you will not look like your tailor is Omar the Tentmaker.
    Last edited by Paladin3840; January 16th, 2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Tried to fix link

I have a model 66 2.5" and have a DM Bullard Dual carry that I have carried it in in the past. I typically reserve it for the range though.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by redwilson View Post
    Thanks for the feed back...I have a Bianchi "Blackwidow" but the problem is concealment. I'm retired and don't wear suits anymore. Mostly sweats. Sometimes jeans & flannel shirts.
    I do need a new belt but I still want good concealment. thanks.
    Try using an OWB holster and belt that is fastened on your body,then pull your sweats over it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    When I carry my Dan Wesson 2 ½ inch revolver it is in a Don Hume 721 #1 on an A&G belt. Works great. I am considering a new higher dollar holster for it this spring. Love it for cool weather. You do have to dress around it in hot weather as it is not easily concealable. I’ve slowly changed how I dress from how I used to during summer for concealed carry purposes without much observed comment.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I'll see how my Kangaroo rig works and I may try the Fist #12. The shirts are also a good idea. Thank you!!

Links