Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today! - Page 2

Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today!

This is a discussion on Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK - so a question... Will the Remora work for tucked IWB carry? Or will the holster (and your sidearm) come flying out when you ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today!

OK - so a question...

Will the Remora work for tucked IWB carry? Or will the holster (and your sidearm) come flying out when you try to pull your shirt out?

I've read that some recommend putting the Remora inside your underwear, so you can tuck your shirt without fear of the holster coming out, but I find it hard to believe the tacky rubber material will be comfortable, long term, against bare skin.

OK Remora fan boys - sell me!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OK - so a question...

Will the Remora work for tucked IWB carry? Or will the holster (and your sidearm) come flying out when you try to pull your shirt out?

I've read that some recommend putting the Remora inside your underwear, so you can tuck your shirt without fear of the holster coming out, but I find it hard to believe the tacky rubber material will be comfortable, long term, against bare skin.

OK Remora fan boys - sell me!
    You could try wearing two pairs of underwear...

I don't see a person being able to tuck their shirt around it. I think you'd really foul your draw trying to get your gun into play. There comes a point where there are real world limitations to the holster.

I've only worn mine on one trip to Walmart for about three hours total time. I already know it's never going to be my primary everyday holster.

It's a good holster. It's decent. The price is right. It's a nice option to have. And I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have any serious issues with it.

I'm really liking the dual mag carrier to carry one spare magazine plus my Fenix LD20 which is my EDC flashlight.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Bark'n - I'm still waiting for you to say "April fools" over the whole Remora thing.

I'm still scratching my head over that someone as knowledgeable as you, is playing around with a soft pocket holster for an IWB.
    Would you care to elaborate on your comment? I've scoured this forum for comments on the Remora and I've only come across one complaint where the holster fell out of the pants and another mentioning that the holster may come out with the gun when drawing. Otherwise, people generally rave about them.

Since I'm not as "knowledgeable" as you and Bark'n, can you enlighten me?

Thanks,
    Doc

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wook View Post
    So here I am googling away researching Remora holsters (as I literally just submitted an order for one) and I come across this thread and was also questioning my decision to buy a holster with no attachment point. So I read the whole thread thinking, well that was a waste of $40. Good show ol' chap. Figured I'd join to share that.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on your comment? I've scoured this forum for comments on the Remora and I've only come across one complaint where the holster fell out of the pants and another mentioning that the holster may come out with the gun when drawing. Otherwise, people generally rave about them.

Since I'm not as "knowledgeable" as you and Bark'n, can you enlighten me?

Thanks,
    Doc
    LOL. Bark'n is actually responsible for a good portion of my education. He's been very patient with the likes of me, in my time here.

My holster opinion comes from a box of cheap/flimsy/soft holsters that I was determined to make work. As a noob, it just seemed that a soft holster would be more comfortable, and I had a hard time getting past that. Since then I've come to the following viewpoint;

* A good holster must protect the trigger. Hard holsters do a better job than soft. Having said that, I do have a soft Uncle Mikes, and some Nemesis's that I'll occasionally use for pocket carry. The caveat here is that there is nothing else in my pocket, and even then I'm dang protective about that trigger.

* A good holster needs to be firmly secured. Generally two hooks/loops provide a more stable platform, although I've found the design of single steel clips on some other high-end holsters to work remarkably well.

* A good holster only works as performed when accompanied by a good belt that fits it. Again, I did my best to cheap-out, but eventually found that it's hard to avoid the truth and that is it. Stiff, double-layered, stitched belts will provide security and comfort that you can't get any other way.

If Bark'n is going to explore his creative side with this holster, more power to him. It certainly wouldn't be the first thing that he taught me.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. Bark'n is actually responsible for a good portion of my education. He's been very patient with the likes of me, in my time here.

My holster opinion comes from a box of cheap/flimsy/soft holsters that I was determined to make work. As a noob, it just seemed that a soft holster would be more comfortable, and I had a hard time getting past that. Since then I've come to the following viewpoint;

* A good holster must protect the trigger. Hard holsters do a better job than soft. Having said that, I do have a soft Uncle Mikes, and some Nemesis's that I'll occasionally use for pocket carry. The caveat here is that there is nothing else in my pocket, and even then I'm dang protective about that trigger.

* A good holster needs to be firmly secured. Generally two hooks/loops provide a more stable platform, although I've found the design of single steel clips on some other high-end holsters to work remarkably well.

* A good holster only works as performed when accompanied by a good belt that fits it. Again, I did my best to cheap-out, but eventually found that it's hard to avoid the truth and that is it. Stiff, double-layered, stitched belts will provide security and comfort that you can't get any other way.

If Bark'n is going to explore his creative side with this holster, more power too him. It certainly wouldn't be the first thing that he taught me.
    Excellent!

I can't argue about the trigger protection, definitely not as safe as in a stiff leather or Kydex holster. But that doesn't mean it's not safe.

Regarding the holster being firmly secured, can't argue that, either. But time will tell (for me) as to whether or not the Remora meets this requirement.

I totally agree on the issue of the belt. But only if you have a holster that needs a belt to secure it!

For me, during the week carrying my pistol is a major PITA. I have to drop kids off and pick them up from school. My employer prohibits weapons in the office. So throughout the day my pistol is repeatedly removed to accomodate those situations. The Remora will make that much easier for me (at least that's the plan).

On days when I don't have those issues to contend with, I will stick with my High Noon Public Secret on my A&G Gun Leather belt.

That's my perspective until the Remora proves me wrong.

Doc
    Bark'n likes this.

Wow,I needed a good laugh.Happy that KA-THUNK was'nt the smoke-pipe though.

Well played Sir!

You got me. Great story. Not trying to put down Remora, but I absolutely refuse to wear a holster that is not secured to my belt. Like you, I am leary of the clips (even though I own a couple of CBST's). My go to holsters have loops that attach securely to my belt.

To each his own. If they are working for guys, have at it. Mr Murphy usually rides shotgun for me too. I'll stick with what's been working for me.
    MikeyIdaho likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    At least you didn't get a "Serpa Leg!"

That Remora... I may have to try one but I don't think I'll like it. It just seems like a more sophisticated way to go Mexican. You could probably apply grip tape to your frame and get the same effect.
    Guest1 and MikeyIdaho like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This guys a trickster!!

I have the MTAC for my G19 and am really liking it. Keep it in mind as you search for your primary holster.
    WHEC724 likes this.

thanks, I really enjoyed that. You had me until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    That Remora... I may have to try one but I don't think I'll like it. It just seems like a more sophisticated way to go Mexican. You could probably apply grip tape to your frame and get the same effect.
    Anything that covers the trigger is better than mexican carry.

Remora covers the trigger nice. You can pull the trigger while it's in there? Completely safe. Not flimsy like Uncle Mike holsters

Took me, hook, line, and sinker

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links