Defensive Carry banner

Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today!

60K views 104 replies 79 participants last post by  joshw0000 
#1 ·
So, I just got my new M&P 9mm (full size) a little over a week ago. Been so busy I haven't had a chance to do a full reliability check yet. The day I picked it up, I only got a chance to run 50 flawless rounds of 115 gr. fmj WWB through it. Even though it was such a limited shooting session, I was still very impressed and glad I bought it. I've got 250 rounds of Federal 147 gr HST defensive rounds to burn through it for testing, but I just haven't had a chance to do it. Very frustrating to say the least

So today I was happy my new Remora (with reinforced lip and sweat shield) along with a Remora dual magazine carrier arrived for my new gun. I'll tell ya, I was very hesitant in getting a holster and mag carrier which has absolutely no way to physically attach it to my belt. That whole concept just rubs me the wrong way. I don't even like holsters with those spring steel clips very much. I once had a Bianchi mag carrier with one of those clips and I snagged on the car door once and the whole mag carrier with 16 round magazine popped off my belt and landed on the deck. But with all the good reviews I've read here and elsewhere, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot. Why I trust some of you DC guys is beyond me, but I went ahead and bought the Remora anyway. :blink:

The day before yesterday my microwave oven blew up, so today I thought I'd wear the Remora rig when I went to Walmart to buy a new microwave. I also thought I might as well buy another 200 rounds of target ammo to use on my reliability test while I'm there. Since I didn't want to carry an untested gun, I reluctantly put the new M&P back in it's case and shoved my XD9sc in the Remora. It fit just fine (another plus for the Remora). I put one of the 16 round magazines and my Fenix LD20 in the double mag carrier and adjust the rigs in my Carhart jeans. Pistol at 4 o'clock, mag carrier at about 8 o'clock and cell phone case at 9 o'clock. Duluth Trading Company "No-Polo" polo shirt, untucked as a cover garment.

I must say, it was extremely comfortable and seemed to be secure. I checked in the mirror for bulges or printing and had the wife do a once over. The only bulge was my cell phone case (County Comm horizontal mount with velcro flap nylon case carrying my Samsung "Rugged" cell phone. No bulge or printing from the holster or the mag carrier.

Now this isn't my first rodeo testing out new guns, holsters, or other types of gear, but still something kept nagging the back of my mind "There's nothing tying this rig onto my belt!" I mean, Mr. Murphy has always been my friggon co-pilot, and if something's going to go wrong, it'll happen to me. A former boss of mine once told me there always seems to be a "little black cloud" that follows me everywhere. <--- :1bur2:

So, I'm driving to Walmart, everything's going great. Holster is so comfortable, by the time I get to Walmart, I can't even tell I'm wearing a gun. Get out of the truck at Walmart, everything is snug as a bug, no shifting, no slippage, and everything's golden.

Stop by sporting goods, pick-up 200 rounds Winchester white box, and head for the microwaves. Call the wife on cell phone to discuss different models of microwaves... finally decide on one and throw it in the basket next to my box-o-bullets. Stop and pick up some other things on list the wife gave me when I hear a woman talking on the store PA system. Now I usually ignore that stuff, but my radar went off when I heard the words... "Walmart is experiencing a nation-wide problem, and for the time being, they can not process any credit cards, debit cards, or checks at the check-out lines!" What the hell? Did I just hear that right? She continued... "Please bear with us for this inconvenience, but we can only process customers with cash only at this time!" All I have on me is check-book, credit cards, and $40 cash! Crap! Forty mile round trip for nothing! Call the wife again, "You're not gonna believe this... :censored: " Then I remember, my bank has a branch in Walmart at the front of the store! :idea:

So, dump all the crap I have in the cart on some shelf except for the microwave oven and the bullets (gotta have priorities), and make a bee-line to the bank to cash a check before they announce they can no longer do cash transactions! There was a line at the bank with people waiting to cash a personal check. I get my money and head to the check out.

All goes well at check out, and that's when it happened... I take two steps towards the door pushing the shopping cart and I feel something with some weight brush down my thigh and I hear a loud clunk on the tile floor!!! :aargh4:

My heart skips a beat or two, or three and I immediately start patting myself down and blindly start scanning the floor! At the same time, a little old lady behind me says... Excuse me sir... I think you dropped something! :busted_cop:

:1zhelp: :1581: :censored: Damn REMORA!!! I knew it! Who The Hell Buys a Damn Holster You Can't Attach to Your Belt? I'm such a :loser: :Slip:

I don't even look at her... In a very quiet and sheepish little child voice, I utter the words... "Thank you ma'am." I then reach down and pick up my friggon cell phone! It appears I didn't secure the velcro flap over the end of the phone after calling my wife. Oops! :pat:

So I'm happy to report, the Remora is awesome! Comfortable, snug, and stays in place! Very well made.

See less See more
#43 ·
I keep saying... there was no false advertising! It did scare the crap out of me. I had to check my pulse to make sure my heart was still beating.

You guys are the ones who jumped to conclusions. :rofl:

#44 ·
You missed your calling. O. Henry would be proud!

#45 ·
I have the remora that works in a pocket, but it is better at IWB

I usually use a very flat holster that came with my crimson trace when i pocket carry

The remora adds a little thickness and is a bit too tacky as i have to fight it to get it out of my pocket at the end of the day

I also like the mag carrier for a back pocket. Feels like a wallet.

#46 ·
I was skeptical about the Remora holsters but picked up one with the reinforced top at a local gun show, having a $30 price tag I thought I could get some kind of use out of it. I decided I would wear it for one week straight as an EDC to give it a good test, then I would go back to my CrossBreed type holster to compare the two. I have a service business and I'm in and out of my truck, constantly bending over, on the ground, etc. and was apprehensive of the Remora but this holster stayed where I put it and I never had a problem with it. In fact, I liked the fact that I could re-position it if needed, I sometimes have to lay down on my side and a slight change in position is very helpful and easy with the Remora.

After a good test comparing the two, the Remora is now my EDC. (I understand that your mileage may vary).

I sent the Remora company an email about my experience and told them I will be ordering another one but with the SS (sweat shield) option this time and I wanted a mag holster too. They replied to my email and pointed me to their LEO 20% discount page and offered me a free mag holster. I placed my order today.

For the price it was certainly worth trying it out. As others have said, it will be a holster used for some if not most of your needs.

#47 ·
I love my two Remoras. I also like that one model will fit multiple handguns. I bought one for my G30 and it also fits the G19! The one for my 1911 compact fits the Kahr CW9!

I used to carry at about 5 o'clock, but I find 4 o'clock to be more comfortable with the Remora. As with any other holster, a good belt is vital.

The Remora stays put. Occasionally, the cant might move slightly, but the gun never budges.

#50 ·
Have several Remoras and never had them slip off me yet. We can carry in banks in Florida. Not allowing carry in a bank is like not allowing carry at an ATM machine. Those of the times I most want to carry. I do not care if some low life gets the $20 in my wallet and credit cards that only have a $50 dollar liability but when I take out a few grand to buy something cash I want my gun on me. :)

#51 ·
I've been corrupted. For (~$30 incl shipping), I have one on its way for my PM9. It goes against everything I know about holsters.

It fits the profile for that pistol; It's too big for my pocket, but I don't carry it enough to justify spending big bucks on a professional rig for it. It mainly stays locked up in my office at work, but there have been occasions where I would have liked to have tucked it IWB for a brief errand.

We'll see... :rolleyes:

#61 ·
I think it will really fit the bill for that role. Let us know what you think!

#52 ·
So I guess that none of you guys that use the Remora holster use public restrooms either? Not sure how you can unbutton your pants without this thing falling to the floor since it isn't secured to your belt and/or pants.... Maybe I'm missing something but seems like it'd be a pain to have to sit the thing on the back of the toilet every time you went to the bathroom. but maybe I'm missing something.....

Phillip

#53 ·
In my case, I really only use my Remora for quick trips or on work days when I have to keep removing the holster (at kids' school and the office). At those times I don't have to worry about going to the bathroom.

In the rare instances when I have used the bathroom with the Remora, I just transfer it to my front pocket when it's time to do the deed.

Doc

#56 ·
My two travel CCWs (when driving on business trips) tend to be an LCR .38 and Kahr p380. I have crossbreeds for both but I take them in their respective Remora holsters. They can go from IWB to computer bag to glove compartment to pocket with no problem. I have a Remora for each one of my weapons and for the price, it is a no brainer

#62 ·
I really want to thank you for the cell phone case. I've been wearing it for a few weeks now and it really is perfect. I haven't lost my phone once! I appreciate the kind gesture. I don't even know it's there and it really fits my phone snug. Really grabs it!

Excellent products!

#59 ·
Bark'n that was a great story. I truly enjoyed the pic's and sense of humor. Thanks for sharing. :35:

#60 ·
WHEC724;2143009[B said:
]I've been corrupted.[/B] For (~$30 incl shipping), I have one on its way for my PM9. It goes against everything I know about holsters.

It fits the profile for that pistol; It's too big for my pocket, but I don't carry it enough to justify spending big bucks on a professional rig for it. It mainly stays locked up in my office at work, but there have been occasions where I would have liked to have tucked it IWB for a brief errand.

We'll see... :rolleyes:

^^^^^^FUNNY^^^^^^^^^

As was your original post Bark'n.
You really are an instigator, aren't you?
I do not believe I need one for the moment, but that could change!

#64 ·
I posted this on another thread, but I think that this applies here too. The Remora holster for my LCR arrived today. Amazing, considering that I just ordered it on Saturday. I was skeptical about a holster without any type of clip or attachment, but I wore this all day without any issues. It stays put! No BS, once I found the sweet spot that was it. Super comfortable too! I never intended for this to be a full time holster as I originally purchased this for the times that I would be wearing sweats or athletic wear. But now I think I'm gonna outfit all of my carry pistols with one of these. This is a quality holster that is well built and stays put inside your pants. Factor that in along with the price and turnaround times, you just can't go wrong.

#66 ·
I have to say it again........Great story and pic's. Enjoyed :haha: and ordered a Ramora for myself. :22a:

#67 ·
I have a Remora, my wife has a Remora, my brother-in-law has a Remora, and my other brother-in-law has a Remora. We all like them. There are detractors, but I have yet to find someone who has actually USED one, who has stated categorically that it is not good for carrying. I've seen one or two who say they can tell without actually using one that there are serious problems with it, but they say they can tell without using one, but nobody I've seen, that has tried one, has been so adamant about the possible negatives.

#71 ·
To each his own, but at least you aren't putting it down as being bad, or idiotic to own one, which one guy did on another forum to me, even though he has never actually held one in his hand and tried it out. That I don't agree with. But for each person, the right holster is the one that works for them and they feel comfortable with and it provides the right protection for the gun and trigger, correct? It also needs to be something which you can reliably use when the time comes where you need to get your gun out quickly to deal with a threat. If it works, and you like it, use it. :smile:

#73 ·
Good thread.

I'm going to end up being another one of those drawerful of holsters guys. Uncle Mike #8, very comfortable single clip, but J frame fall out, this not good. Kholster Little Moon molded for LCR, nice holster, holds J frame and LCR nice and firm, but feels big, don't like the clips, and they're spaced so it's difficult to position it where I want (11 cross draw). Looking at the Tucker Cover Up, but may try Remora while waiting for it. The only downside I see to it is having to stick it in my pocket when I undo my pants, but it should go back in the waistband so easy that may not be a hardship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.