Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today!

This is a discussion on Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cant beat them for the price driving I use mine in a cross draw than shift to strong side very comfortable...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today!

Cant beat them for the price driving I use mine in a cross draw than shift to strong side very comfortable

2. Remove Ads

What a great story teller!!Just received my 2 Remoras yesterday (9mm & .380) and love 'em already!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Great story - had me right up to the end!

Thanks,
    Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Posted in a different thread but this still applies:

I've been reading reviews and forums about these holsters. I have been shopping for my G29 and was about to order a SHTF holster...but after reading about the remoras and seeing the only negative feedback (and not much can be found) coming mostly from skeptics who haven't used it, I decided to order. I was going to get a former military/teacher discount but opted for the free holster (my HK USPc fits the same size holster as my G29). I ordered the 6art ss with the hyde leather.

Anyone have experience with the leather interior?

Can't wait to get these. I have been carrying the HK in a Galco summer comfort...it's pretty comfortable, but I'm hoping the remoras will be even more so!

Semper Fi,

Mushraeddur

Neat story I think my second holster will be the Remora 6 (Did you say you got both Sweat Shield & Reinforced top.. I'd be interested in that configuration too, but wasn't sure if they offered both on same holster)

I received my Remora "tuckable"about 2 weeks ago and my CCW last Monday. Wish I could say my confidence in the holster was as solid as the OP 's. But on 2 separate occassions, once as I had just entered Walmart and another at Lowes, I experienced that same feeling of something sliding down the inside of my pants leg. Not my cell phone. My Ruger SR9C.

I had to stop and finegal the gun out the bottom of my pants ( which were pretty tight), then reinsert gun and holster into my waistband acting like no big deal, everyone has a gun fall down their leg sometimes, right? Made a point to be sure the pistol grip was positioned so it was hung on my pants waistband until I got out of the store(s).

I agree the holster is very comfortable. And there were 2 other days I didn't have any retention problems but that was after I decided to put the holster between my skin and my undies instead od between 2 layers of clothing. And I agree the holster has much better traction than some other "sticky" holsters.

Other than the slippage which is a very big deal to me, the holster was comfortable in the car, seated at home, walking, bending. And shielding.the gun from skin. I have the full sweat band with leather interior and had no problem unholstering. The only time the holster and he gun came out together was when neither should have.

The tuckable did come with a snap on clip designed to help secure the holster while tucking your shirt in. You can then unsnap the clip or leave it on. But that clip doesn't seem as sturdy as I would need to feel secure using the holster out of the house again or especially on my motorcycle.

As I said the holster is very comfortable and easier to install than I imagine more traditional IWB belt holsters like the crossbreed wwould be. S going to try one more thing. I purchased a pair of J clips from Amazon and some rivets from a craft store. When I get some time next weekend I'm going to see if adding a permanent clip to the tuck panel will be suitable. If that does the trick I'll have a very comfortable tuckable clip style holster that can be put on in a few seconds and hopefully the sticky quality of the holster will allow me to achieve the cant angle better than a non sticky clip on style holster.

Unfortunately after buying several of them I discovered that the object on the ground was indeed my gun a few times. I like to adjust my belt and wear it loose at times and the Remora will shift around if it is not a tight fit. Then there are the times I forgot it was not attached to my belt and almost dropped in in the toilet bowl in a public restroom. When ya gotta go bad you do not stop to think about that. Now I either pocket carry or use a holster that attaches to my belt. Not a problem to clip a comfortable one onto my belt. I still use the Remora for specific purposes though. If I am driving a long distance I will put a gun into one an place it in a cross draw position while driving and when we stop for gas and food I place it into my pocket. I also use it for protecting the triggers and gun when carrying them in the center console of my car, laying on an end table while watching TV, etc. I just do not use them anymore for daily carry as they do not work for me.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

How do you use a public restroom with a Remora???? I know with a Crossbreed the rig holds your gun in your pants. No issue.

With OWB, you fasten your belt around your shins. No issue...

A Remora??? Where do you put your gun?

In God and Glock we Trust

Your lap
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    Your lap
    Thats very secure...

In God and Glock we Trust

I am going to call BS on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    SNIP Stop by sporting goods, pick-up 200 rounds Winchester white box, SNIP
    You mean to make me believe that you just decided to go to Wally World to pick up 200 rounds... and they had it in stock? I don't buy it. Good try though...

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    So, I just got my new M&P 9mm (full size) a little over a week ago. Been so busy I haven't had a chance to do a full reliability check yet. The day I picked it up, I only got a chance to run 50 flawless rounds of 115 gr. fmj WWB through it. Even though it was such a limited shooting session, I was still very impressed and glad I bought it. I've got 250 rounds of Federal 147 gr HST defensive rounds to burn through it for testing, but I just haven't had a chance to do it. Very frustrating to say the least

So today I was happy my new Remora (with reinforced lip and sweat shield) along with a Remora dual magazine carrier arrived for my new gun. I'll tell ya, I was very hesitant in getting a holster and mag carrier which has absolutely no way to physically attach it to my belt. That whole concept just rubs me the wrong way. I don't even like holsters with those spring steel clips very much. I once had a Bianchi mag carrier with one of those clips and I snagged on the car door once and the whole mag carrier with 16 round magazine popped off my belt and landed on the deck. But with all the good reviews I've read here and elsewhere, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot. Why I trust some of you DC guys is beyond me, but I went ahead and bought the Remora anyway.

The day before yesterday my microwave oven blew up, so today I thought I'd wear the Remora rig when I went to Walmart to buy a new microwave. I also thought I might as well buy another 200 rounds of target ammo to use on my reliability test while I'm there. Since I didn't want to carry an untested gun, I reluctantly put the new M&P back in it's case and shoved my XD9sc in the Remora. It fit just fine (another plus for the Remora). I put one of the 16 round magazines and my Fenix LD20 in the double mag carrier and adjust the rigs in my Carhart jeans. Pistol at 4 o'clock, mag carrier at about 8 o'clock and cell phone case at 9 o'clock. Duluth Trading Company "No-Polo" polo shirt, untucked as a cover garment.

I must say, it was extremely comfortable and seemed to be secure. I checked in the mirror for bulges or printing and had the wife do a once over. The only bulge was my cell phone case (County Comm horizontal mount with velcro flap nylon case carrying my Samsung "Rugged" cell phone. No bulge or printing from the holster or the mag carrier.

Now this isn't my first rodeo testing out new guns, holsters, or other types of gear, but still something kept nagging the back of my mind "There's nothing tying this rig onto my belt!" I mean, Mr. Murphy has always been my friggon co-pilot, and if something's going to go wrong, it'll happen to me. A former boss of mine once told me there always seems to be a "little black cloud" that follows me everywhere. <---

So, I'm driving to Walmart, everything's going great. Holster is so comfortable, by the time I get to Walmart, I can't even tell I'm wearing a gun. Get out of the truck at Walmart, everything is snug as a bug, no shifting, no slippage, and everything's golden.

Stop by sporting goods, pick-up 200 rounds Winchester white box, and head for the microwaves. Call the wife on cell phone to discuss different models of microwaves... finally decide on one and throw it in the basket next to my box-o-bullets. Stop and pick up some other things on list the wife gave me when I hear a woman talking on the store PA system. Now I usually ignore that stuff, but my radar went off when I heard the words... "Walmart is experiencing a nation-wide problem, and for the time being, they can not process any credit cards, debit cards, or checks at the check-out lines!" What the hell? Did I just hear that right? She continued... "Please bear with us for this inconvenience, but we can only process customers with cash only at this time!" All I have on me is check-book, credit cards, and $40 cash! Crap! Forty mile round trip for nothing! Call the wife again, "You're not gonna believe this... " Then I remember, my bank has a branch in Walmart at the front of the store!

So, dump all the crap I have in the cart on some shelf except for the microwave oven and the bullets (gotta have priorities), and make a bee-line to the bank to cash a check before they announce they can no longer do cash transactions! There was a line at the bank with people waiting to cash a personal check. I get my money and head to the check out.

All goes well at check out, and that's when it happened... I take two steps towards the door pushing the shopping cart and [B]I feel something with some weight brush down my thigh and I hear a loud clunk on the tile floor!!!

My heart skips a beat or two, or three and I immediately start patting myself down and blindly start scanning the floor! At the same time, a little old lady behind me says... Excuse me sir... I think you dropped something!

Damn REMORA!!! I knew it! Who The Hell Buys a Damn Holster You Can't Attach to Your Belt? I'm such a

I don't even look at her... In a very quiet and sheepish little child voice, I utter the words... "Thank you ma'am." I then reach down and pick up my friggon cell phone! It appears I didn't secure the velcro flap over the end of the phone after calling my wife. Oops!

So I'm happy to report, the Remora is awesome! Comfortable, snug, and stays in place! Very well made.
    I just cried a little while reading this. I've been eagerly awaiting my Remora to come in for my officer frame 1911 and today is the day. Then I read the first 3/4s of this post and very nearly had a heart attack. Good show haha.

I'm new to carrying (just got the CHL last week finally) and for the last 7 days I've been carrying condition 3 Mexican (I know I know) but only while walking my dog because, even though the gun hadn't ever moved an inch, I couldn't bring myself to be courageous enough to trust it in a densely populated store or area. I've got an SHTF Ace1 in order too but honestly if the Remora passes the test, it'll probably be my EDC because I'm constantly having to remove my gun and lock it in the truck when going to school and the remora would better suit the application.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Lol!!...good one!!..reminds me of the story of the guy sneaking up on his cheating wife and was more concerned about the dent in his truck he was hiding behind....that came at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    I am going to call BS on this one...

You mean to make me believe that you just decided to go to Wally World to pick up 200 rounds... and they had it in stock? I don't buy it. Good try though...
    Notice that the OP is dated January *2012*, not 2013.

This is worthy, IMO, of a thread resurrection. I was researching Remora holsters and came across it. Great story, Bark'n.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links